Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Take the $1000. Glue them to the case for added bling.

Because upgrading that thing makes about as much sense.

Keep your good computer, buy a $1000 'okay' computer, and sell it to me . Currently using a 2008 macbook for gaming and it sucks

240GB SSD, better graphics card (GTX670) and sell the old one, maybe new motherboard, better case, 2nd monitor or 27" 2560x1440 monitor even (might require bit of your own money as well to get new monitor and graphics card) ... plenty of options.

Getting 2nd GTX570 is bad idea because the card is severely limited by the low VRAM, and you can probably still sell it for $200-250.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    etc
    I never make stuff up on the spot. This is something i knew, just from the naming of the board. Asrock boards with "extreme" in the name are the higher end boards which support multiple GPUs. The boards without "extreme" are more low end, and usually support only 1 GPU.

And ye, the irony

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Personally, my upgrade list would with some inspiration from haxartus look like this...
    Corsair 650D (though there are metric tons of other options here)
    Corsair AX 750
    MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II
    AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    Corsair Force 3 240 GB / Samsung 830 256 GB / other SSD along those lines
    why go overkill on the psu really? you can be able to run two 680s on a 650 wattage with more than enough power to even OC it.
    With that GPU a 500 watt would be good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    why go overkill on the psu really? you can be able to run two 680s on a 650 wattage with more than enough power to even OC it.
    With that GPU a 500 watt would be good enough
    Because that was the smallest Corsair AX powersupply they had on newegg.
    I would've suggested the Corsair AX 650, but availability of it seems to vary a lot.

And I suggested the Corsair AX series because of its gold rated efficiency and full modularity, as well as the support for Corsair's individually braided cables, if OP would so desire to grab those.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-08-12 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Take the $1000. Glue them to the case for added bling.

Because upgrading that thing makes about as much sense.
    I understand that upgrading it isn't really worth it, but if you were given an option of picking $1000.00 worth of upgrades for your computer at no cost to yourself, or not having them at all, which would you pick?

I'm really interested in the GTX 670 / 7970. I also went against my better judgement and started considering processor upgrades / motherboard. 3770K and a few other pieces. I'm well over the $1000.00 limit though, so I'll need to cut sometime soon. Will end up being the Motherboard/Processor I bet.

I will be streaming a lot for my guild in MoP so I would like to be able to stream all fights at settings that are good though, not having to turn down my settings to min on Ultraxion just to guarantee no hiccups.
    Last edited by Savedwow; 2012-08-12 at 03:52 PM.

Processor upgrade is completely moot. Don't think about it at all.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I started looking at benchmarks and it looks like some half decent performance gains in the areas I was interested in, but I don't think it is really needed.

The place that I have to buy these things at have the following prices

670 - 449
    680 -599
    7970 - 519
    Last edited by Savedwow; 2012-08-12 at 04:05 PM.

Remember that benchmarks really often have to go out of their way to show increases. Most uses don't tend to benefit an awful lot. As an example, theoretically an encoding that takes 15 minutes that takes 13 minutes with new hardware is a huge leap technically, but most people just went out for a coffee, smoke, lunch, sandwich or similar to pass the time instead.

But honestly, that's an exaggeration of the difference you'd encounter, far as I recall.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-08-12 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why you wanna upgrade that? I'd say wait and meanwhile get a bigger SSD instead, or instead just get a GTX 690.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Once again, there is no waiting.. there is either upgrading now or never. lol I don't have to pay a cent.

Any thoughts on what upgrades you'll do? If you're going to be streaming, I'm not entirely sure what you'll need, as that's not my street so to speak, but.

Deleted
    I don't see the issue, honestly. With a bigger ssd, a better PSU and a 670 you can't go wrong, really. 2500k is powerful enough that you won't have to replace it for years (especially if you OC)

I was basically thinking along those lines, Diesta, and maybe trying to replace the antec 900 for something a bit better on air flow as I find my temperatures can get a bit high in there. I'm leaning towards the 7970 if I can though.

I'd personally lean towards motherboard/PSU/case/SSD right about now. Maybe add soundcard and good headphones.
    *wildly indecisive*

Ok so the money has been made available and I'll be leaving in about 2 hours to go pick out some parts. Any last minute input?

If I get a gpu, I may actually not get a 7970 or 680 though, and maybe stick with my 570, or get a new motherboard and get another 570 with the difference. I can't help but think 2x 570s is more power than 1 680 but I may be wrong.

I would go with a single powerful card even if it was a bit less powerful just to not have to deal with all the multi GPU issues that can and most likely will haunt you at some time.
    Also if you get a new GPU you can sell the old one and get some money in your wallet right?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Yeah. That is definitely the selling feature if I get a GPU. If I do though, I will probably just get a 670 as the 680 is $600 (520 for 7970) here, and the 670 can be overclocked to 680 numbers fairly easily.

I have a 6770 sitting in my closet in box I need to sell, too. /grumbles. I have the original packaging for the 570 as well.
    Last edited by Savedwow; 2012-08-14 at 01:59 PM.

I went with 670, 700w CM Silent Pro bronze cert, a larger vertex 4, and a few odds and ends I'll be putting it together in a few.