Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Seeing as GTA IV is a 5/5 Star kinda game and priced at $20.... I'm going to say YES!

Remember, cheating and messing around is what GTA games are all about, if you don't do that you may not think highly of it.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Mind elaborating? I found it to be the most enjoyable of the series, personally.
    I guess I was hoping for more than just driving around and doing missions. One of the posters here said how San Andreas let you own businesses and stuff; and from what I remember in the Godfather game, that's what I liked about it.

The driving was annoying, too. I know some people here have commented on it (and others have defended it), but if the driving annoys me from the getgo, I really have no enthusiasm to play it out until it doesn't annoy me anymore. I have played (and loved) driving games before, but the driving here was heavy and bothersome.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-08-17 at 11:46 AM.

First off, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. That said,

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I guess I was hoping for more than just driving around and doing missions. One of the posters here said how San Andreas let you own businesses and stuff; and from what I remember in the Godfather game, that's what I liked about it.
    But what does things like owning businesses doing for you? It simply gains you money, which can be found elsewhere. The other argument I can foresee is that it builds a sense of progression in that you're "taking over" the city. The problem with that is that it would completely destroy the theme of the game; it's all about Niko's plight, and his struggle to survive. Wouldn't it feel out of place with him owning millions of dollars, clubs, properties, businesses, among other things? The only time you get a legitimate amount of money is if you take the deal at the last mission, and it comes with severe consequences.

The driving was annoying, too. I know some people here have commented on it (and others have defended it), but if the driving annoys me from the getgo, I really have no enthusiasm to play it out until it doesn't annoy me anymore. I have played (and loved) driving games before, but the driving here was heavy and bothersome.
    I'm sorry, but I can find zero merit in this example. Sure, I can understand a clumsy mechanic here and there, and while I haven't played it in a while to definitively state that it was or was not, you're telling me that because one early mechanic was annoying, you're going to scrap a game? One that's universally praised? A series that's universally praised? Not only that, but usually gets somewhere in the 95% bracket? That boggles my mind. There's so much more to do other than driving, it's just a means to an end. Don't like driving in a specific car? Use another. Use a motorcycle. Use a car that handles differently. Use a flying vehicle. Use the taxi -- it'll drive for you!

Just discussing for the sake of discussing, I don't really feel strongly about this but I do want to answer your questions about my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    But what does things like owning businesses doing for you? It simply gains you money, which can be found elsewhere. The other argument I can foresee is that it builds a sense of progression in that you're "taking over" the city. The problem with that is that it would completely destroy the theme of the game; it's all about Niko's plight, and his struggle to survive. Wouldn't it feel out of place with him owning millions of dollars, clubs, properties, businesses, among other things? The only time you get a legitimate amount of money is if you take the deal at the last mission, and it comes with severe consequences.
    Of course it would feel awkward since the story is built around -not- owning businesses, that doesn't mean it's still not a problem though. The writing wasn't set in stone when they made the game, it could've been built so that it wouldn't be awkward to own businesses and have that sense of progress.

I'm sorry, but I can find zero merit in this example. Sure, I can understand a clumsy mechanic here and there, and while I haven't played it in a while to definitively state that it was or was not, you're telling me that because one early mechanic was annoying, you're going to scrap a game? One that's universally praised? A series that's universally praised? Not only that, but usually gets somewhere in the 95% bracket? That boggles my mind. There's so much more to do other than driving, it's just a means to an end. Don't like driving in a specific car? Use another. Use a motorcycle. Use a car that handles differently. Use a flying vehicle. Use the taxi -- it'll drive for you!
    Driving is pretty much 90% of the game. It's not one early mechanic, it is a majority of the game. I played several hours and that didn't change, if you're telling me the game stops being 90% driving half-way through, then I'm wrong (but even then, that would be strange and I don't think that happens).

So yeah, the driving is heavy and awkward, and since most of the game is spent driving, I'm spent feeling heavy and awkward most of the time playing it. I feel like I'm steering a boat when other games have made driving feel much looser. I couldn't care less if it's heavily praised, that's how I feel.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-08-17 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Just discussing for the sake of discussing, I don't really feel strongly about this but I do want to answer your questions about my opinion.
    Sounds good!

Of course it would feel awkward since the story is built around -not- owning businesses, that doesn't mean it's still not a problem though.
    Why is it a problem? I don't need a story to start with nothing and own everything at the end to have a sense of satisfaction. In fact, personally, I believe that the route they took was a hundred times more powerful than if he had been successful. How many times has that happened? I *love* it when stories don't end "happily ever after".

The writing wasn't set in stone when they made the game, it could've been built so that it wouldn't be awkward to own businesses and have that sense of progress.
    I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Of course they can change it, just like any game, story and/or experience can change.

Driving is pretty much 90% of the game. It's not one early mechanic, it is a majority of the game. I played several hours and that didn't change, if you're telling me the game stops being 90% driving half-way through, then I'm wrong (but even then, that would be strange and I don't think that happens).
    First off, that's hyperbole, but for the sake of not being a dick about this, I'll let that point slide. The point I'm meaning to make is that the game revolves around the story, and the missions. That is what matters, the missions. Not how you get there. And to properly analyze this, I'd like some clarification on just why the driving is annoying, because I don't remember it being annoying to me.

So yeah, the driving is heavy and awkward, and since most of the game is spent driving, I'm spent feeling heavy and awkward most of the time playing it. I feel like I'm steering a boat when other games have made driving feel much looser.
    That's fine if you feel that way, but if/when you accept the fact that driving is NOT indeed the "90%" of the game, then it's not a problem, it's only a minor gripe. And, again, why is it annoying?

I just think it's a bad reason to stop playing a phenomenal game, simply because the driving is annoying. I can't really do a proper analysis of what you're saying because you're basically stopping because of one reason that you haven't fully elaborated on, so I'm just stuck here saying "it's not a 90% of the game, and what is the reason it's annoying?"

10+ Year Old Account
    When driving in a video game becomes harder than driving in real life it becomes a problem imho. That being said GTA IV was not one of those games where I experienced this problem. APB was the worst offender ever. I would rather take a fish hook to the scrotum than drive around in that game. Also Gran Turismo. Since when did making turns at 30 mph in a compact become something only nascar drivers could pull off?

Me mentioning the fact that San Andreas had businesses (which I never experienced first hand, I only tried businesses in the Godfather) was just to point out that I feel there are really not enough "features" in the game, and I was using the business feature as an example of something I'd like to try in this game. All I experienced really were a few missions, running away from cops, shooting cops, and driving around in clunky cars. If that's what the entire game is, eh. I feel like a lot of the enjoyment from the game comes from goofing off and killing prostitutes, because I don't see what else there could be.

My point about the writing is that you're trying to make it off as "they couldn't have businesses in the game because the writing (story) wouldn't have made sense with it", but that point is moot because the story could've been designed around businesses if they really wanted it. Again, I'm not saying they need businesses, I'm saying I wish there was another big aspect of the game other than "driving around, missions, shooting cops, running over people". A lot of the goofing off is novelty and gets old quick (at least for me).

The driving is annoying because the cars feel very heavy. Turns are screwy if you're driving too fast, and the clutch just feels weak. I know it probably takes practice to get good at the driving, but that's really practice I feel iffy about grinding myself through in the first place. Games like (and I hate mentioning it again) the Godfather and NFS make driving much smoother.

I do like that you can shoot while you're in the car.

I didn't stop playing it just because of the driving, but the driving was a major factor. After a few missions I felt like the game had forgotten to introduce me to a major aspect of it, but when I realized there was nothing else to the game other than driving, shooting and missions, it felt lacking. The fighting controls seemed strange too (playing on a PC).

I hate talking about this because I know I sound like an idiot commenting on a game I only played a few hours on. So yeah, to anyone reading this, I realize I haven't played too much of the game yet, but these are just my initial impressions.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-08-17 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    Weakest of the 3D GTA by far in my opinion

They scrapped everything that made the previous entries fun and replaced it with tedious friends, too much on foot action with wonky controls, a messed up driving model and an uninteresting story

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's move on to discussing Episodes from Liberty City then, eh? It's technically a standalone game.
    Which one is your favourite, TBOGT or TLATD?

oh btw.. driving

Yeah, GTA4 is no fun at all.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2012-08-18 at 11:13 AM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

So. I beat Max Payne 3 yesterday so I opened GTA4 and played like the first two missions.

I can see why people wouldn't like it, from the very beginning things are completely different. Game looks more realistic, and the driving is completely different. The first thing you notice is that R2 is to accelerate and L2 is to brake..........But it was okay, I googled how and it let me set controls so X is to accelerate etc. You get used to the rest.

The game still seems very cool and worth playing, it's just that it's far off from other Grand Theft Autos. For the $20 it seems to be worth it..But I'll have to go deeper into the game to see if I make it far enough for it to be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you even mod it on consoles? I think all the haters are console-lovers for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Can you even mod it on consoles? I think all the haters are console-lovers for some reason.
    I'm 95% certain you cannot install mods, but I've never tried. I know you can't do so in games like Skyrim, so I assume that you cannot in GTA4.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Let's move on to discussing Episodes from Liberty City then, eh? It's technically a standalone game.
    Which one is your favourite, TBOGT or TLATD?
    I got those two DLC/games, and I dunno, I wasn't impressed. TLATD was another 'gritty' story featuring a gang...haven't we done this enough? And TBOGT was easily the better of the two, but even still, I wasn't that impressed after a couple of hours. Perhaps it gets better, but I still maintain that if you want a 'silly GTA' game, play Saints Row 3. The stand alone game is infinitely better, in my eyes.

To me, I doubt GTA4 would have kept my interest if it followed the 'exact' same formula as the previous installments. A more realistic approach was much appreciated. Sure, it's different, but I feel that it was needed.
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-08-18 at 09:13 PM.

I think i am in the minority, but I LOVED the driving in gta iv. Ive been hoping for more realistic physics in a gta game forever. You are not supposed to be able to take a hairpin 90 degree turn at over 100mph.

I did miss the 'endgame' of ownership of properties/carlots, w/e

Selling cherry poppers ice cream in vice city...good times.

Deleted
    I'd have preferred The Lost and Damned a lot more if the ending wasn't so depressing. Don't get me wrong, I like bittersweet finishes as much as the next person but man I didn't even get to keep the clubhouse...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dpguy View Post
    All I'm saying is that graphics are just one feature of any game, whether on PC or a console. GTA IV fans mostly rave about how great the city looks while ignoring the fact that so much of the fun stuff from the previous games has been stripped. I mean, many of the rave reviews don't even mention it. It's like they didn't even notice the businesses, planes, etc. are all gone. The vehicles handle very differently as well. And so many of the rave reviews made no mention of any of this. Liking the game is one thing, but how can you simply blow off the fact that entire components of the previous games are completely gone?

For the record though, since the game is pretty cheap these days, I recommend giving it a try. Don't take my word for it. Try it out for yourself. You might like it, a lot of people do. I can understand people liking it. But I can't understand people not being just a little bothered by everything that's gone.
    “Hey guys hope everything is good over there in Rockstar. Just a question referring to GTA 4, the game was brilliant and I really enjoyed and still do, but what disappointed me was the lack of planes and jets... Can you tell me why you didn't include them, I'm sure you have a very valid reason?” – via Mouthoff

"The city was simply too small for effective and enjoyable flying. It was the first time we made a high definition open world, and it was a massive amount of work to make something on that scale – we simply could not make an environment big enough for planes to work properly. Fear not, they are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date."

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...ft-auto-v.html

Didnt like gta 4 either.The gameplay i guess is way too serioues.i wanted fun game with city sandbox but i guess i got some gangster simulator.I loved gta 3,sa and vice city.This is why i loved saints row 2 the game keep making me laught .

Oh man I took my girlfriend on a date and learned the combat controls. I like this game lol.