Thread: Field of view

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukai View Post
    But for a game as massivley advertised as this, with an already large pre-existing playerbase, and attracting more people. It's going to get alot of publicity at launch.
    *points to Call of Duty*
    As much as I dislike MW3, to say it has a 'smaller size playerbase' is pretty hilarious. It did not have a way to change FoV until it was added through a 3rd party program some time after launch. Pretty sure if you google "MW3 news" you'd be hard pressed to find articles of people vomiting all over their computer screens and their eyeballs falling out. And that is with an FPS.

    Yes, it's an issue. But you guys are exaggerating it like crazy. Jesus.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    *points to Call of Duty*
    As much as I dislike MW3, to say it has a 'smaller size playerbase' is pretty hilarious. It did not have a way to change FoV until it was added through a 3rd party program some time after launch. Pretty sure if you google "MW3 news" you'd be hard pressed to find articles of people vomiting all over their computer screens and their eyeballs falling out. And that is with an FPS.

    Yes, it's an issue. But you guys are exaggerating it like crazy. Jesus.
    It's responses like this that piss me off. Exaggerated? Just cause you are unaffected by it doesn't mean a lot of people aren't? What makes you any more great than someone with any kind of disability?
    Furthermore when this particular disability is so easily fixed, what would it matter at all for you if it was? You and everyone who isn't affected are welcome to enjoy the game as much as you want. Fixing it so an fov slider is added isn't something that would affect you in any way what so ever, but it would be a blessing to those who do suffer.
    The game is supposed to be fun. What part of that states its only supposed to be fun for those who can handle the FoV?
    Besides as already proven and mentioned, it's already in the game. All I want is a slider so I can set the FoV how I feel is more comfortable manually while in full screen.

  3. #63
    And the reason theres not many ppl who have this problem in FPS games, is because they don't play them as they KNOW it will make them ill. I don't play fps ATALL because I KNOW they make me ill.

    But unlike FPS most 3rd person games DON'T make people ill due to the wider field of view, thats why there tends to be more motionsickness posts with 'console view' pc games than with any other.

    If this doesn't affect you then HURAH! GOOD FOR YOU! /pats on back

    But for those of us that does it can be from a mild headache to compleatly dibilitating. Also why should we not bring this problem to the attention of Developers. By leaving something like this they are loosing sales. Yes in your opinion it might only be 'a few' but it's STILL A LOSS.

    Next time your in a car, put a book in your lap (no lifting it up so you can see out of the window) and keep your headdown, after a few mins you'll start to feal nausious. Maybe it'll give you an idea of how we feel.

  4. #64
    Can't.. roll eyes.. harder...

    I had said multiple times that the issue should be fixed. At no point did I say it should not be fixed, at no point did I say "I don't have the issue so it's no big deal". My point, however, was that it is not as widespread of an issue as some people are making it out to be. Yes, it is a major issue for the people it affects. Yes, it is possible that a game becomes unplayable to those people. Yes, it should be fixed. No, it does not affect a huge amount of the playerbase. No, it is not going to kill the game if it is not changed. No, there won't be thousands of news stories about people throwing up playing GW2. No, it isn't a game killer for the general population. Read my posts before going off, perhaps?

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Can't.. roll eyes.. harder...

    I had said multiple times that the issue should be fixed. At no point did I say it should not be fixed, at no point did I say "I don't have the issue so it's no big deal". My point, however, was that it is not as widespread of an issue as some people are making it out to be. Yes, it is a major issue for the people it affects. Yes, it is possible that a game becomes unplayable to those people. Yes, it should be fixed. No, it does not affect a huge amount of the playerbase. No, it is not going to kill the game if it is not changed. No, there won't be thousands of news stories about people throwing up playing GW2. No, it isn't a game killer for the general population. Read my posts before going off, perhaps?
    Your post was badly worded then. Here's the thing though again, it does affect more people than you seem to be willing to realize.
    You have groups of people if you will:
    1. Feels they need more zoom.
    2. Feels claustrophobic while playing.
    3. Asks for fov slider in the game.
    4. Says camera feels wrong.
    5. Throws up after an amount of minutes playing.

    All of them suffer from issues due to fov being wrong.



    From Guildwars2guru thread on the subject, some very very very nice posts by user Makovorn:
    Regarding Camera angle: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...0#entry1648928
    On FoV: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...0#entry1625530

    edit:will link those in the first thread for added visability. They are great posts which completely illustrates the issues.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-14 at 12:21 PM.

  6. #66
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Here's the thing though again, it does affect more people than you seem to be willing to realize.
    Can you give a statistical percentage of people who become physically ill (the crux of the matter) by restricted FoV in games as opposed to people who aren't?

    As for my own opinion, I've never had too much issue with FoV outside of playing MW2 on a 60in TV with three other people on the same screen and feeling like I was playing a game with horse blinders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Your post was badly worded then. Here's the thing though again, it does affect more people than you seem to be willing to realize.
    Luckily, I've posted multiple times here. If one was badly worded, thank god there were multiple others.
    Most of the people complaining about camera issues are complaining about sluggishness. Most of the claustrophobic complaints went away when they pulled the camera back. Most of the people who throw up after minutes of playing don't exist. You're trying to pin every possible camera issue on one cause. While your cause is important to you and all, it is not suddenly the solution for every camera issue people have with the game.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Luckily, I've posted multiple times here. If one was badly worded, thank god there were multiple others.
    Most of the people complaining about camera issues are complaining about sluggishness. Most of the claustrophobic complaints went away when they pulled the camera back. Most of the people who throw up after minutes of playing don't exist. You're trying to pin every possible camera issue on one cause. While your cause is important to you and all, it is not suddenly the solution for every camera issue people have with the game.
    Im not trying to pin every camera issue on FoV. Sorry if it came off like that.
    However, the pulling back the camera aleviates it for some, but they reacted to begin with because of an FoV issue, even if they dont realize thats what it was. The claustrophobic issue is also cause by camera angle and fov being narrow, thats just as much a fact.
    As far as people who are so affected that they throw up, ofc they exist. Im one of them, if that matters at all. They do ofc exist, otherwise I'd never have brought that point up. Denying the existence of something doesnt make it any less real. It just means one chose to ignore it. Thats a different matter entirely.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 02:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Can you give a statistical percentage of people who become physically ill (the crux of the matter) by restricted FoV in games as opposed to people who aren't?

    As for my own opinion, I've never had too much issue with FoV outside of playing MW2 on a 60in TV with three other people on the same screen and feeling like I was playing a game with horse blinders.
    Ofc I dont have a statistical study showing how many are affected, and those who become physical ill like myself (I am an extreme case as well), may not be very vocal about it, or they simply stay away from games that bother them that much. The point here is that the feature allready exists in the game, so why not just create a slider in options so we can help those (however few or many they may be) who do suffer from this?

    From gw2guru discussion on this, user makovorn:
    Believe me when I say, once you've experienced the advantages of a higher FoV (even if it doesn't bother you from a medical standpoint), you wouldn't want to go back.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    *points to Call of Duty*
    As much as I dislike MW3, to say it has a 'smaller size playerbase' is pretty hilarious. It did not have a way to change FoV until it was added through a 3rd party program some time after launch. Pretty sure if you google "MW3 news" you'd be hard pressed to find articles of people vomiting all over their computer screens and their eyeballs falling out. And that is with an FPS.

    Yes, it's an issue. But you guys are exaggerating it like crazy. Jesus.
    Call of Duty is not a big game on PC however. Never gotten anywhere close to any kind of sales record on PC. It's mainly a console game, where these problems do not exist if you play from a reasonable distance from a TV, which sort of makes your point moot...

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    Call of Duty is not a big game on PC however. Never gotten anywhere close to any kind of sales record on PC. It's mainly a console game, where these problems do not exist if you play from a reasonable distance from a TV, which sort of makes your point moot...
    Was actually looking for some sales figure to back this up but think I cant be arsed atm.
    Point I'm looking for here is that console cod is fine with a restricted fov.
    Porting it to pc means you need to change the fov or people will get issues from playing it.

    Now Guild Wars 2 which is a pc exclusive title shouldnt have to be made to look like a console port, and even if it was it should have an fov slider for those who want to use a more comfortable fov.
    Its allready present in the game, we just dont have a way of manually changing this setting atm, apart from going 3 monitor setups or manipulating the windowed mode setting, which is far from acceptable.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Was actually looking for some sales figure to back this up but think I cant be arsed atm.
    Point I'm looking for here is that console cod is fine with a restricted fov.
    Porting it to pc means you need to change the fov or people will get issues from playing it.

    Now Guild Wars 2 which is a pc exclusive title shouldnt have to be made to look like a console port, and even if it was it should have an fov slider for those who want to use a more comfortable fov.
    Its allready present in the game, we just dont have a way of manually changing this setting atm, apart from going 3 monitor setups or manipulating the windowed mode setting, which is far from acceptable.
    erm...

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...s-2-on-console

    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...0#entry1106518

    It IS also designed for console.... Which is why we get the sofa distance TV FOV for a single screen... makes it easier to port the game over.....

    Last edited by Ryukai; 2012-08-14 at 02:03 PM.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukai View Post
    It IS also designed for console.... Which is why we get the sofa distance TV FOV for a single screen... makes it easier to port the game over.....
    LOLOLOL.
    All of those other MMOs with FoV sliders. They're the only TRUE PC mmos.

  13. #73
    it seems the normal crusaders finally reached this topic.

    "everything is perfect, guyz. you guys just need to adapt to the philosophy, blah blah blah"


    FoV, Camera Smoothing, Zoom, and other camera related problems affect ALOT of people, and the sooner it gets addressed the better.


    @nexrex
    Trying to argue with certain people in this forums is dangerous, cause they are always right, and the game as no problems, because its 100% perfect.


  14. #74
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    LOLOLOL.
    All of those other MMOs with FoV sliders. They're the only TRUE PC mmos.
    I rofl'd.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    FoV, Camera Smoothing, Zoom, and other camera related problems affect ALOT of people, and the sooner it gets addressed the better.
    While I won't dispute that it affects a number of people, I don't feel that the portion of the gaming population that actually gives a shit or are so adversely affected by stock FoVs that MMO developers feel it's imperative to include sliders, most people are fine with a 90 degree FoV in third person games (non-shooters) with few games even allowing up to 110 degree FoV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    @nexrex
    Trying to argue with certain people in this forums is dangerous, cause they are always right, and the game as no problems, because its 100% perfect.
    I seriously doubt that anyone believes that this game is 100% perfect, they just have differing views on what's important.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  15. #75
    I agree that FoV should be settable. Whatever is natural is going to depend on how far you are from your screen and how much it fills your IRL field of vision.

    However, I watched most of the third video in the OP, and switched it off at the point where TotalWhateverHe'sCallingHimselfTheseDays decided that it was a conspiracy against PC gamers. It's really fucking not. I've never touched that setting before, even if it was present.

    Not getting your own way is not the same thing as a conspiracy against you.

    Also, if you suffer from motion sickness, you've picked an odd platform in the PC, considering that pretty much the only thing you can buy that isn't WoW, Civilization or The Sims is first person shooters...

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    it seems the normal crusaders finally reached this topic.

    "everything is perfect, guyz. you guys just need to adapt to the philosophy, blah blah blah"


    FoV, Camera Smoothing, Zoom, and other camera related problems affect ALOT of people, and the sooner it gets addressed the better.


    @nexrex
    Trying to argue with certain people in this forums is dangerous, cause they are always right, and the game as no problems, because its 100% perfect.
    That's kinda cute. You should like, read the thread. I said multiple times that the issue should be fixed, and it is quite obvious that you were referring to me.

  17. #77
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I agree that FoV should be settable. Whatever is natural is going to depend on how far you are from your screen and how much it fills your IRL field of vision.

    However, I watched most of the third video in the OP, and switched it off at the point where TotalWhateverHe'sCallingHimselfTheseDays decided that it was a conspiracy against PC gamers. It's really fucking not. I've never touched that setting before, even if it was present.

    Not getting your own way is not the same thing as a conspiracy against you.

    Also, if you suffer from motion sickness, you've picked an odd platform in the PC, considering that pretty much the only thing you can buy that isn't WoW, Civilization or The Sims is first person shooters...
    While TB can overreact a bit (it's one of the reasons he's so popular), this is a real issue. While I don't suffer from it myself, in my opinion this is the biggest issue in the game and should be fixed for launch.

    It probably won't affect a huge amount of the playerbase, but for those that are affected by it, it can be gamebreaking.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynnx View Post
    Okay well i can see that but read my edit, in a 3rd person game you cannot increase the FoV without the image becoming distorted at the sides (almost like looking at it in a fish bowl)
    Not "almost" but exactly like it. If you have too wide FOV, you get the same effect as if looking into a fishbowl because fishbowl changes incoming light direction so you get a wider FOV when looking through it. This is basic physics they teach at high school/lyceum.

    That's why you need a slider. You need to be able to adjust "size of my monitor and my head's distance from it". That is what FOV is.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    That's kinda cute. You should like, read the thread. I said multiple times that the issue should be fixed, and it is quite obvious that you were referring to me.
    im not pointing fingers to anyone, im just saying there's people in this sub-forums are don't accept that others have issues with certain parts of the game. if you are aggrieve by my comments theres a report button


  20. #80
    Arenanet quote:
    We stated multiple times in public that we have a small team working on a console version, but that we are fully dedicated to make the most kickass game for PC (I think the official statement did not use the word kickass, in case someone wants to semantically disect my post ).
    Fully dedicated = include a FoV slider.
    Not fully dedicated = dont include FoV slider.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •