Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    And yet, even with Belvik, Norway has 1/10 of the murders per capita than what US has.
    The US has a very violent culture, even if guns were illegal, we would still hold the record by triple or more to anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    This whole arguement is pointless. Saying that it just needs to be something like an assault rifle ban, just leads back to not just buying them illegally, but look at the damage the Sikh temple shooter did with just a puny handgun. Either it stays like it is now or completely illegal to own them, thier is no middle ground.

I'm liberal and would prefer it stay like it is. I like the idea of being able to get a gun if my neighborhood goes to hell (which it's very close to) I also know it would be nearly impossible to ever round up guns to any extent, that would cut down on shootings in the next 20+ years. Their is also Breivik, guns are beyond illegal to own in Norway and he holds the current high score...

Besides if someone starts shooting, I'll just hide behind the tree I'm hugging.
    Yes, there is a middle ground...it's called strict gun control and it makes it extremely hard for people to obtain guns illegally.

Strict gun control doesn't eliminate gun crime in a 1st world country, it lowers it.

Do you know the most common way for a criminal to obtain a gun in the US? It's by having somebody go into a store and purchase one on their behalf (source: ATF).

I am liberal and support gun ownership, Your thread is nothing put a generalization and invalid.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguine View Post
    And once again, you did not read what I posted. Yes, what I said is exactly what you are claiming I did not say. Please, try and apply some critical thinking if you are going to argue on such a heady topic.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 04:28 AM ----------

I wish you could read the report I wrote for the OP, where it said both sides were being obtuse. But keep yelling at me.
    "More laws, or even saying we are going to be more strict, is not, EVER going to stop criminals from getting guns in illicit fashion. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    The US has a very violent culture, even if guns were illegal, we would still hold the record by triple or more to anyone else.
    But the murder rates would be lower. Significantly lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguine View Post
    I wish you could read the report I wrote for the OP, where it said both sides were being obtuse. But keep yelling at me.
    Report you wrote for the OP? I have no idea what you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by masterdisaster View Post
    "More laws, or even saying we are going to be more strict, is not, EVER going to stop criminals from getting guns in illicit fashion. Ever."

And that is clear, that i intend it to mean that we need to enforce the laws we do have.

Saying that it is never going to stop? Can you deny that that is true? nope.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like we have the same discussion every week. Every week someone makes the same topic. Anyways, closed. We've done this dance before. Do a search for a vast number of threads on the subject. I don't think we need a spicier version, using a conservative vs liberal argument to bring the topic further.