Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    If someone breaks into your house at night, kill as fast as is possible regardless. If someone breaks into your house in the day and takes any aggressive action whatsoever (armed or unarmed)., kill them as fast as is possible. If someone breaks into your house in the day and attempts to flee without any aggressive action toward you, attempt to apprehend/disable them by any means necessary (including deadly force) but attempt not to kill them while doing so (if you do end up killing them without intending to though your fine).
    Self defense FTW.
    If someone tries to take your money at knife point in some dirty alley, and you have the option to break their windpipe, go for it. If you can bluff your way out of it by making them think you're packing, and using a very heavy Russian accent in an area known for its Russian criminals, do it. But a dead thief is better than a scared thief.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Hey,
    Here in the netherlands there is a pretty big mess up about hurting thieves.
    Last week there was a guy who punched a thief to death, he tried to steal his stuff in his house.
    And that guy is now at the police office.

Our police chef said in the newspaper:
    When there is a robbery in your house going , you should either try to flee, or just watch them steal your stuff, but dont try to hurt yourself.

What is your viewing on this? should those guys just be killed on sight? or able to defend yourself with stuff like a bassbal bat?
    I believe everyone has a right to defend themselves in their home. If someone is breaking in with the intent to only steal stuff, they only know that, not the occupants of the house. So anyone should be allowed to use whatever means necessary to get rid of the threat from their house. If that happens to mean the would be robber gets killed, then so be it. He shouldn't have been breaking into peoples houses if he valued his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    Nothing would deter small time thieves than mutilation and being marked for life as such. I know, it is brutal and barbaric. Woopeedoo. Works better than sending them to free-meal-and-medic-care jails for a couple of months so they can learn more criminal skills.

I think the knowledge that you're going to lose a hand and get "THIEF" tattooed on your forehead might work wonders on anyone considering taking that specific career.

Of course, the mellow-hearted people of this age rather bend over and have their money taken, believing the thief must've had a very bad life to reach that point.
    And this is my cue. Have fun with the thread everyone.
    Constructive part: There's no evidence that this deters criminals more. There were plenty of thieves in the past when the penalty was brutal and the numbers show that capital punishment doesn't deter people from killing.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    And this is my cue. Have fun with the thread everyone.
    Constructive part: There's no evidence that this deters criminals more. There were plenty of thieves in the past when the penalty was brutal and the numbers show that capital punishment doesn't deter people from killing.
    Also it just means more jury nullifications since people aren't generally happy with the idea of mutilating a person over petty theft.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Not in my country as i said, that guy is going to jail now for protecting his own stuff :s
    And yes he really punched him to dead. i dont know how. probally just a really good hit in the head.
    He's going to jail for murdering the other person.

Unless your life is threatened, killing someone is not the appropriate defense.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Imo the thief got what he deserved.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think murder should be considered a worse crime than stealing, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    We're discussing this on a forum with lots of people from a country where it's okay to shoot a man that wants to sell steaks at your door.
    I'm not sure if that should be my cue too or if I should keep telling people why they are wrong.
    You do know that guy was arrested and and charged with second-degree murder, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Did he really need to punch the guy to death? He could have just beat the guy up enough to incapacitate him and then call the cops. In most cases you can defend yourself without killing.

this ^

although id have to see the full story or whatever, was it just a few good punches to the temple or something or did he get on top of the guy and literally beat him to death? if it were just a few punches and he accidentally killed the guy, i could see him being let go, but if he went captain insano and went berzerk on the guy, then i dont know what to say.

its cool to defend yourself, and your stuff, its not really that cool to beat someone to death for trying to take it, just knock the guy out or get him down, and call the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    You do know that guy was arrested and and charged with second-degree murder, right?
    You assume that he cares. He'd probably prefer not to know. Anything to justify his hatred for America, you know?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    And if that was your brother or another close relative or friend.....would you still feel that way ?? and please don't say no one I know would do it, thats not the point.
    No, I would feel no differently toward the killer because I operate on overall guiding principles instead of raw emotion. If my brother broke into someone’s house and was killed for it, I would of course not be happy but my brother is the one at fault and I cannot hold a justified action against his killer. His killer is innocent of wrongdoing and should be respected for what is right instead of what is cowardly.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    I think if someone's breaking into your house to take your stuff, any legal protections should be null and void.
    I agree with this 100%. If you're going to break into someones house and steal from them, the law should no longer offer any protection to you. The thief willfully committed an act which harms another human being, and no longer deserves any sympathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

[QUOTE=BaP;17955245]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post

With that said I think the thief got what he deserved.[/QUOTE]
    And if that was your brother or another close relative or friend.....would you still feel that way ?? and please don't say no one I know would do it, thats not the point.
    If someone is in my house stealing how do I not know the next thing on their list is to rape and murder my family? I don't and therefore they're dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Did you see the number of people defending him in that thread?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    i do believe one should defend his property when one can.

i'm Egyptian, during the days of the revolution, me and a couple of friends caught a thief in our street, using my medical knowledge(i'm a med-student), i cut off his knee tendons...

15+ Year Old Account
    * I'm against laws that make it a criminal offense to defend your legally obtained possessions. But the use of excessive force should be illegal. Lethal force is only acceptable if the robber is armed with a firearm, and death should never be the goal.

* Insurance companies should not be allowed to penalize you for not defending your possessions a) with any or no weapon b) regardless of who is trying to take your possessions.

* Insurance companies should be able to penalize their customers if they choose to defend their possessions with force. Talking about medical expenses here, they should not be penalized for failing to defend their possessions.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Did you see the number of people defending him in that thread?
    I did not and don't care.

The guy is in jail now and will probably be in jail for the rest of his life.

If I know they are there only to steal stuff I'd rather not personally harm them if I didn't have to...plus there would be lots of paperwork and cleanup I'd rather not have. It's your home, your shit, and there is no point in buying stuff in the first place if your government says whoever wants it should take it. That being said, the cock of a shotgun is most likely going to be enough to get the thief out of the house and not coming back any time soon. If they don't leave after a fair warning then I personally would have no problem putting a bullet in the SOB. Getting into a fight with knives or bats is probably a bad idea, you have no idea who the person is or what they are capable of or what kind of drugs they could be on, so yeah, you don't want to be stupid about defending yourself.

Deleted
    There's a clear difference between forcefully defending your home and repelling the intruder, and just plain out killing the burglar because you felt like he/she deserved it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the real answer to this is situational.

In no event should anyone be stealing in the first place. However, if someone was stealing from my home I have to assume they are armed and dangerous. I have to be prepared to defend myself. Does that mean I have to kill them? No. But if they attempt to harm me or my loved ones I will not give them another chance. Or if they are in fact armed, regardless of their intent, they are armed and intruding on my house so I will take action.
    "The Lich King yells: Now I stand, the lion before the lambs... and they do not fear."
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    I'mma grab him by the neck and take the sin out of him like a fucken baptist.