Poll: Happy with your name?

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    My father would've named me Kaj like the fucking frog (i see you're in copenhagen and possibly a native dane)

KAJ! Fuck, i think he was drunk all the time while my mom were pregnant to come up with that name...
    Never heard of Kaj the Frog, but Kaj/Kai/Kay is quite common in Norway amongst people born in the 70's or 80's. I also know a 7yr old named Kai. Never really had any assosiations around it, nor have I heard anyone get mocked for it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by valinadk View Post
    Indeed I am happy with it, there aren't many Catherine's in the world, and I personally have never met another person with my name. The only thing is that people in this day and age assume that it's spelled some dumb, shortened, ridiculous way because people thought it would be cool to spell Catherine as "Katheryn" "Katharyn" "Katherine" "Kathryn" and whatever other 'new-age' way of spelling it. I always tell people that it's spelled "the old-fashioned way".
    That's funny, the norwegian version of is is Cathrine/Katrine(quite common over here btw). Spelling it the ways you just mentioned + the way you actually spell it, is concidered "Snobby, silly and ridiciolous" .

When I was young I cared about because of pokemon and digimon being a thing... now I don't mind it that much.

"Yes, my name is Salomon"

10+ Year Old Account
    I really dont mind that much. My name is kinda rare since its same what some ppl used to call Hitler.

My name is Aatu. And my surname starts with H which makes A.H = Adolf Hitler.

The thing is that I actually have something common with Adolf and its the kill all... believers. I simply hate how humans believe in fairytails and fights for their religion :P
    In the other hand I love it.

Everytime human being dies because of someone decided that his religion is true one, I will smile :3
    So do a favor for me and rip someones face off who doesnt believe in same sphagetti monster as you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where do you live? In Norway it is very common having a unique lastname. Both my lastnames are very rare. One has 200 users, the other one 130. Both names are split between 2 families, so I have a 50% chance of being related to anyone I meet with any of those names. However, one of my lastnames, is very common in England and America(got it from English forfathers myself). The other one is unique for the entire world, as it's 100% norwegian. As far as I know, no one carrying the name have moved out of Norway and spread the name to other countries.
    Hmm, I kinda disagree. Most people I know and have met, have had very common surnames, however. Many use 2 surnames, and the combinations can be very rare.
    Personally I have 1 surname that is number 7 on the list of most common my other surname is number 710 on the list. (both socalled sen names..)

Together, there's only 4 people who have the same combination of surnames. So that's kinda cool.

And now I got curious, what's your one surname with so few users. SSB only shows 200 or more :P
    I know some surnames are so rare that they are protected, (below 200 with the name I think). And if you want to change your surname to one of those, you need to ask everyone with that surname for permission, and you can only change surname every 10 years I think.

Deleted
    Jacobus Wilhelmus... so no not really, but i use a "calling name" and i respect the name given due to the fact that my grandpa gave it to me who i still miss every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    My name is Tom (not Tham, like in English, but with a Dutch 'o').
    I don't really mind it... I think it's a really boring and generic name though.
    But my parents were originally gonna call me Bob so I guess it's not that bad.

My grandpa was called Thé and he wanted my dad to name me after him,
    luckily that didn't pass as well since Thé sounds like tea in Dutch.

The one thing I am really grateful for is they didn't choose to baptize me
    (my family, like most Dutch people, aren't religious in any way), and thus I'm
    not stuck with some stupid baptismal names.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Where do you live? In Norway it is very common having a unique lastname. Both my lastnames are very rare. One has 200 users, the other one 130. Both names are split between 2 families, so I have a 50% chance of being related to anyone I meet with any of those names. However, one of my lastnames, is very common in England and America(got it from English forfathers myself). The other one is unique for the entire world, as it's 100% norwegian. As far as I know, no one carrying the name have moved out of Norway and spread the name to other countries.
    I'm Australian The surname made it's way down here when my Grandfather came down as an immigrant from Albania about 60 - 70 years ago. I still don't get why there aren't more with my surname lol. I see them in USA, England etc etc just not Australia. Though some of the ones in England are cousins of mine from an uncles ex wife who went back home after they got divorced

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I hate my name. "Preben". It sounds fine in norwegian, even if it does sound like the name of a spoiled duchebag, but in english it just sounds retarded. Even my belgian friends mock me for it, and they have the most absurd names ever. Sigh.
    is it pronouned the way it's written? Pre ben? if so that is a rather... unique name. Though I'd prefer that to the name my gran decided to give my uncle... Rushit. which is pronounced Roo (like Kangaroo) Shit. Poor bugger >_< actually alot of my uncles copped weird names.

Rushit, Sefeddin, Ramadan, Shquip then granny got sick of naming her sons Albaian names so she went with Greg and Shane lol
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2012-08-14 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Never heard of Kaj the Frog, but Kaj/Kai/Kay is quite common in Norway amongst people born in the 70's or 80's. I also know a 7yr old named Kai. Never really had any assosiations around it, nor have I heard anyone get mocked for it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM4mBiW0at8

The frog, thing, is Kaj.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    is it pronouned the way it's written? Pre ben? if so that is a rather... unique name. Though I'd prefer that to the name my gran decided to give my uncle... Rushit. which is pronounced Roo (like Kangaroo) Shit. Poor bugger >_< actually alot of my uncles copped weird names.

Rushit, Sefeddin, Ramadan, Shquip then granny got sick of naming her sons Albaian names so she went with Greg and Shane lol
    Yeah, it's pronounced as you would read it straight-up in english, though with a different inflection in norwegian than in english, and the english inflection makes it sound retarded. It's originally a danish name, and it sounds fine in danish (as if anybody can understand what anything the danes say means), but that's not very comforting to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Not really hard to make fun of. its a nice name though, it reminds me of sophie or sofie, i've heard that name way too much.
    Well, by "hard to make fun of" I mean there weren't any obvious insults that kids would get, and after junior high people are mostly mature enough to come up with wittier insults than "your name sounds like *insert something stupid, like a brand of cleaning products*" (My friend is unfortunate enough to share a name with said brand).

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my name. Fairly unique name, Bertram. Originally German name, but I am Danish.
    In Danish, it’s pronounced “Bare-traahm”. But foreigners tend to pronounce it “Bur-tram”.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    In secret, us Norwegians envy many Icelandic names. Because they are so much closer to our old norse heritage. I know I do, my little sister has a classmate from Iceland called Hrafna (unsure of spelling) which means Raven, and we come from a place (very close to anyway) that was called Hrafnista back in old times. Infact one of the areas where "Norwegians" first went to Iceland afaik, might just be a myth :P

Haha, unfortunately, my name is not one of much envy among the Norwegians Before people get to spend time with me and use my name a lot, they call me Ingo, Ingolf, and now most recently (by a South-African though), Ing-Kung-Fu.

If her name was Hrefna, it might also mean a whale, as Hrefna is the name of a whale species Icelanders eat a lot of

10+ Year Old Account
    I am happy with my name John.

Though I often get called Jones instead
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I hate it. Coral just sounds so uncoral.
    /PearlKrabs.jpg
    I met a girl called "Coral" that was beyond hot!

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    My name is Kasper pretty decent name imo, not too rare or too common.

My father would've named me Kaj like the fucking frog (i see you're in copenhagen and possibly a native dane)

KAJ! Fuck, i think he was drunk all the time while my mom were pregnant to come up with that name...
    I agree, there's just some names you don't wanna call your child, not only because it can relate to something else, but also because there's simply some names, that doesn't suit younger people

Ilari, which isn't the most used name in Finland, but well... I don't mind, it's not that bad.