Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best/most efficiant way to get gear while lvling

Since im new to GW I was wondering what the best way to aquireing you gear while lvling is? Mob drops, crafting, heart vendors, or story progression?

Any idea? I've been wanting to know for a while.

You don't even really have to try to get gear. Between random drops and heart vendors you'll always be set while you're leveling. Just make sure you check every heart vendor after you finish the heart, and don't buy anything if it's not an upgrade or just a bad upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You don't even really have to try to get gear. Between random drops and heart vendors you'll always be set while you're leveling. Just make sure you check every heart vendor after you finish the heart, and don't buy anything if it's not an upgrade or just a bad upgrade.
    i was just curious because my character felt a bit more squishy than my wow characters.

Maybe it's just a bit higher difficulty i guess?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    i was just curious because my character felt a bit more squishy than my wow characters.

Are you just standing still? also do the personal story that where you get the cool looking weapons/gear.

A quick point, you not meant to take hits, they are suppose to be very damaging. dont expect extra gear to make you fell nearly immortal like in wow. You will actually have to fight mobs 1-3 v1, not 20 or so v1 like i used to do with my ench shamman

Deleted
    what's the deal of getting crafting skills if you don't have to use that gear? crafting gear has to be better than the others, else it feels like a waste to skill them?? :s
    or are they only useful at max level? (except bags you are able to craft)

Circle strafe, kite, and dodge and you should be fine! You can actually dodge normal "white damage" attacks from mobs by moving (and not actually hitting the dodge button) -- unlike wow.

Don't try to solo champion / legendary monsters or large packs of adds. Or do try but be OK with dying :P

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    what's the deal of getting crafting skills if you don't have to use that gear? crafting gear has to be better than the others, else it feels like a waste to skill them?? :s
    You can craft exotic gear.
    That's the best......but there's 3 other ways to get it too.
    They specifically have made it so you will always get something useful to your level.
    So it's v v useful.....more so in other games I believe.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 12:20 AM ----------

Yh....mobs kinda hit like a truck lol.
    DEs aren't really harder in terms of objectives...but you can't play it like ur normal MMO.
    Dodge, kite, condition, support

Craft and spend karma points at vendors that sell gear for your class.

These karma vendors are the guys at Dynamic Events with the hearts over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    You get some good exp from crafting and its not difficult to gather the mats

You craft so you can choose your stat allocation. While I was playing BWE3, I crafted a Green-named staff and got one from the Shadow Behemoth. They were statistically equal but one offered +power and the other +precision. I chose the power, of course, since I had intentionally crafted it.

It's worth noting that crafting also gives you experience. For every 40 crafting levels, you get one character level.

I did armorsmith and weaponsmith in BWE1-2 and BWE3. New gear options open up every ~25 crafting levels, and the required level is usually a multiple of 5. Weapons were very useful because their availability from Karma vendors is a bit limited. Armor, not so much. The better looking heavy armor was obtained from the karma vendors, and you could buy masterwork armor, which was good for 6-7 character levels.
    Last edited by Exedore; 2012-08-14 at 02:17 AM.

Personal Story and crafting reward the best gear while leveling. The only point at which drop gear exceeded the PS gear was when I hit about level 27-ish. At that point the armor was just too janky. But I think we can expect the Personal Story on release to follow the trend of BWEs.

Problem with crafting is the sheer volume of mats needed to outfit yourself. We [my guild] were funneling our collective mats to 2 crafters. The crafters were able to keep up just barely. Depending on how much ore was needed, still had to AH shop for more.

So crafted is better but might either take a long time or cost a lot.

Based on what I saw I would say it's something like this: Personal Story > Crafted > Dungeon > Karma > Drops

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Personal Story and crafting reward the best gear while leveling. The only point at which drop gear exceeded the PS gear was when I hit about level 27-ish. At that point the armor was just too janky. But I think we can expect the Personal Story on release to follow the trend of BWEs.

Problem with crafting is the sheer volume of mats needed to outfit yourself. We [my guild] were funneling our collective mats to 2 crafters. The crafters were able to keep up just barely. Depending on how much ore was needed, still had to AH shop for more.

So crafted is better but might either take a long time or cost a lot.

Based on what I saw I would say it's something like this: Personal Story > Crafted > Dungeon > Karma > Drops
    I can confirm that. The items I was crafting were ALWAYS of better quality than those I was able to buy or looted. At equal levels of course.

But crafting requires some farming and/or a lot of usage of the trading post.

Personal Story and crafting have the highest chances to get you the gear you want to itemize for.

If you aren't trying to dodge moves/are just standing still, you will get messed up by mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because they are. You're not supposed to get hit. :P
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Disagree. I did armorsmith and weaponsmith (both use metal ore) before and after the reset, both to ~125ish skill. In BWE3, I only bought a handful of mats from the trading post, mostly to round the last few points in the copper tier because I was lazy. I did go back and farm some copper, but if you pay attention, the zones have ore clusters that make farming not so much of a hassle. Cloth I would think is the only hard one since it's not obtained via harvesting and is in fairly high demand.

Without giving too much away, as much as GW2 touts leveling crafting through discovery, it still can't make up for quantity at the right times.

My problem is affording gear. I got most of it from quests, but by the time I got level 10 I couldn't even afford my trait book to start using traits. Wasn't far off but I couldn't spare anything for gear...

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found crafting to be very useful once I got the hang of it (its not hard, I'm just dense). I crafted a hammer that took 12+ levels (can remember the exact number) before I got a green drop that would replace it...and even then, just by a small amount. Same goes with all the armor pieces I crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    That's because they are. You're not supposed to get hit. :P
    Also this. Mobs hit like a freight train compared most other MMOs out there.

"Oh, look at that cute little rat-person running up to me!"
    STAB, STAB, STAB
    "WTF!?!? Where did half my health go?"