Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If everyone was punished the same, this would be a much less pleasant place to live.
    Tell that to the medical marijuana users.
    A bit off topic, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I think the problem at hand is that there is a discrepancy between 'right/wrong' and 'legal/illegal'

The problem is, is when totally consenting people (not 'consenting under duress' or 'convinced') but people who are actually enjoying a relationship (even if its just physical) are piled into the same group as the rapists, abusives, and people who actually do harm.

Yes, there is an age when someone can be considered 'unable' to properly consent. And that age is different for everyone. It might be 20, or 30 for some people. I knew kids in high school that were having sex at 14. What's the difference between having sex with someone 16, or 17, or 30? They're still agreeing, and encouraging it.

Yes, it's illegal. Period. Regardless of right or wrong, it's still illegal. It's the same argument of Alan Turing. You knew it was illegal, and you got caught. Does the system need some reform? Possibly. But that's not the debate here.
    Well, assuming that the question isn't rhetorical, the reason is that a 30 year old is more sophisticated and presumably better able to appreciate the consequences of his or her actions compared to a 15, 16 or 17 year old. I don't know that it's a particularly good justification given the fact that people don't magically be come sophisticated or even marginally smart once they pass the threshold over to 18, but there you go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    Not really, 2-7 years...that is very common for rape and pedophilia even for men...so in this case no.
    Men can easily get around 15-20 years for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's comments like this that make it a problem in the first place.
    It's bloody laughable how obvious they make the double standard seem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    that's why we have courts where people who violating existing laws can prove their innocence but also that such laws are in themselves unjust and should be struck down.
    You realize that last year, a motion was made to pardon Turing from his crimes, since those laws have long since been removed, and it was denied, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    Men can easily get around 15-20 years for that.
    Probably not. You might be surprised how lenient sex crimes again minors can be. It's funny - in some States it was a capital offense but that was declared unconstitutional.

Deleted
    How does it?

If they were willing, it's no problem. Rather an experienced adult doing it than the 16 y.o. STD skank from next door.
    If the kid is very young, it could be questioned. But i've noticed an increase in reports about women being arrested for doing their students, 16/17 y.o.

In that case it's bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, assuming that the question isn't rhetorical, the reason is that a 30 year old is more sophisticated and presumably better able to appreciate the consequences of his or her actions compared to a 15, 16 or 17 year old. I don't know that it's a particularly good justification given the fact that people don't magically be come sophisticated or even marginally smart once they pass the threshold over to 18, but there you go.
    Well certainly an older person can say "This seems like a bad idea" more easily. But if both people are consenting (of course, breaking the law) of the relationship. it's difficult to say "You are a bad person because you're 30" and "Your are not a bad person because you're 17" when they both have the same ideals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    How does it?

If they were willing, it's no problem. Rather an experienced adult doing it than the 16 y.o. STD skank from next door.
    If the kid is very young, it could be questioned. But i've noticed an increase in reports about women being arrested for doing their students, 16/17 y.o.

In that case it's bullshit.
    What if it's a 16 year old girl who consents?

10+ Year Old Account
    You realize that last year, a motion was made to pardon Turing from his crimes, since those laws have long since been removed, and it was denied, right?
    A little bit to late but I'm also not sure what it has to do with anything. Just because we may disagree with the courts decisions doesn't mean that arguing that the law isn't just or valid isn't in and of itself a valid defense.

Quite frankly, laws around this need a revamp anyhow, especially regarding how ages differ from state to state, responsibility in some cases, etc. Lots of room for improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the problem is...

If I was 13 and my teacher was hot, I'd love it!

10+ Year Old Account
    A little bit to late but I'm also not sure what it has to do with anything. Just because we may disagree with the courts decisions doesn't mean that arguing that the law isn't just or valid isn't in and of itself a valid defense.
    Maybe I misread what you said before. Turing was charged and found guilty, on a law that was later removed because it was a bad law. He however, was not cleared of his crime, despite the law being removed.

Deleted
    Yup.
    And comments like this are the primary reason why the dark figure of sexual crimes commited by women is so high - very, very many boys/man don't report them to the police because things like "don't complain about it" are often the first things they'll hear.

That's the backwards "PC" state of mind the western world lives in - well, actually most people I've known from the UK have exemplified that they're far less concerned about being PC than Americans are, but many of them also stodgily pretend their country is problem free while heaping all of the worlds ills (STILL) on George Dubya.

Along racial/gender lines there's a ton of hypocrisy and double standards in the Land of the Free. Until the world is perfect, women do unfortunately live in a sort of "at your own risk" prison, meaning the considerations they have to make when living/traveling on their own to avoid dangerous situations that men needn't have as much fear of. Men are the typically stronger and more sexually aggressive of the sexes, obviously. Because of this, we have a sociopolitical mindset that assumes female predators must "not be that bad" or not be predators at all - they are. They may be doing it out of previous hurt done to them - but so too are many adult male rapists/serial killers who were abused as young, defenseless boys, sometimes by *older women*.
    Last edited by Kindahuge; 2012-08-14 at 05:29 PM. Reason: punctuation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Well the problem is...

If I was 13 and my teacher was hot, I'd love it!
    I'm gay, if I was 13 and raped by my "hot" teacher I would have hated it. Therefore your argument is invalid. But seriously, If you want it it's not rape, it's you living out a perverted fantasy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I misread what you said before. Turing was charged and found guilty, on a law that was later removed because it was a bad law. He however, was not cleared of his crime, despite the law being removed.
    Right and I'm telling you that just because the courts decision in Turings case didn't clear his name does not mean that challenging existing laws as being unjust or invalid is not in and of itself a valid form of defense.

Well certainly an older person can say "This seems like a bad idea" more easily. But if both people are consenting (of course, breaking the law) of the relationship. it's difficult to say "You are a bad person because you're 30" and "Your are not a bad person because you're 17" when they both have the same ideals.
    Well, to be fair, statutory rape law vary by state. You'd be hard pressed to find state now where a 17 year old or an 18 year old is charged with rape because they had sex with their 16 year old girl friend, though they do exist. Some states you really don't want to be charged and found guilty of statutory rape. Alaska comes to mind.

What really sucks about being an adult is that you're actually suppose to be responsible. It's not really valid excuse to say "well, I know I'm thirty and that this girl is 14 years old, but we have so much in common" because the only thing that actually matters is the he knew better.

What might really shock people is that some states, as a matter of law it's impossible to statutorily rape a man because rape is defined as something that can only happen to a female.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right and I'm telling you that just because the courts decision in Turings case didn't clear his name does not mean that challenging existing laws as being unjust or invalid is not in and of itself a valid form of defense.
    This is true, I guess that needs to be determined at the point of time of conviction, rather than. 40-50 odd years later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I was looking at the other topic about the whole males not sitting next to children and decided to look up some stories about women..

http://post.jagran.com/lady-teacher-...nor-1343114014

2 TO 7 YEARS?! This seems very odd, rape a 13 year old from ms to hs and get 2 years?
    Women get away with domestic abuse.
    Women get the treated better all the time. Let's not even get started on how a pair of tits makes you get away with anything.
    It's absurd, the way men are treated as opposed to women. Women get away with anything, just because they're so "defenseless" and "weak". Equality my ass.