Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Don't worry. I am also.

But that said, I don't seem to care about locations of countries. If I care that much, I'll open an Atlas and check. I don't want useless junk filling my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Elohel View Post
    You know, those people that walk up to people on the streets in America asking for the locations of countries on maps? We should all be prepared to throw them off and ruin their "Americans are stupid" videos...or maybe those are fake. I just don't even know.
    Meh. The "Group X is stupid" videos are made with a goal in mind, and they'll find the stupid people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always been good at geography. There are iPhone games you can get to help yourself learn geography if you want to improve. They're kinda fun. I even got one that helped me memorize all the nations' flags.

---------- Post added 2012-08-15 at 02:03 PM ----------

Relevant:
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-08-15 at 02:03 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I've always been interested in geography and keeping my general knowledge up to date. For me, it gives me a greater perspective of the world and how people differ. There are many people who don't care and that's fine. However, I think it is in everyone's best interest to have at least a small understanding of the planet they live on. Also, nobody was born with the knowledge of where every country, capital, river or lake is located. It takes time and like many of you have said, if geography doesn't interest you, then you're not really going to take the time to learn it.

I can name every country in the world and I can place all of them mostly, sometimes swapping two countries' locations. I'm not that good with the capitals, although I know the capitals of most major countries.

Do yourselves a favour and google Sporcle. It's a site that has loads of geography (and other) quizzes like "Name every country in Europe" etc.

So today I was looking at a map out of boredom, and for the first time ever I realized that Denmark is a peninsula north of Germany. I felt like a complete idiot, as my entire life I've been under the impression that it is an island southeast of Iceland.
    Well technically the penunsula is Jylland, a lot of Denmark and about half of its population is actually on islands (Fyn + Sjaelland), so you're almost half right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Well technically the penunsula is Jylland, a lot of Denmark and about half of its population is actually on islands (Fyn + Sjaelland), so you're almost half right
    Jylland (Jutland)
    Fyn (Funen)
    Sjaelland(Zealand)

Translated it so they know what you're talking about

Deleted
    So today I was looking at a map out of boredom, and for the first time ever I realized that Denmark is a peninsula north of Germany. I felt like a complete idiot, as my entire life I've been under the impression that it is an island southeast of Iceland.

Has anyone else derped this hard at geography?
    Well... the Faero islands are south-east of Iceland, and they're an autonomous region inside Denmark, so you're partially correct. Unless you were thinking about the other islands, Ireland+UK. Then surely no

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world

I got 144/196 on my first shot. Can't believe I missed Nicaragua and Belize.

Deleted

I have cirkled everything I don't know. I'm ashamed how much I don't know about Africa.

As far as the states go, I can locate Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North&South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Conclusion: not too terrible but still terrible :P

"I'm going to Europe"

^heard that many times, said by Swedes
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world

I got 144/196 on my first shot. Can't believe I missed Nicaragua and Belize.
    You must be seriously hardcore at geography. I got like 107/196 and I got pretty much all the major players. All them caribean island, all the small african countries, small european states, the small islands in the middle of nowhere and those ex-soviet russian countries in the middle of asia are hard.

http://i49.tinypic.com/3308ui1.jpg

Deleted
    A few weeks back I realized I could draw an accurate map of Azeroth complete with zones and cities from my mind.

At the same time I also realized I'm unable to point out all provinces in my own country even while looking at a map.

I guess it comes down to areas of interest. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    You must be seriously hardcore at geography. I got like 107/196 and I got pretty much all the major players. All them caribean island, all the small african countries, small european states, the small islands in the middle of nowhere and those ex-soviet russian countries in the middle of asia are hard.

http://i49.tinypic.com/3308ui1.jpg
    This was my map at the end:

I misspelled Equatorial Guinea, and I could have sworn I wrote Serbia, but I guess not.

Fuckin' bastards ! Just because denmark isn't some hotshot country like so many other you dont even know where we are ?

Internet gave me a sad.
    Last edited by Martinussen; 2012-08-15 at 04:17 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhidios View Post
    As far as the states go, I can locate Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North&South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Conclusion: not too terrible but still terrible :P
    What, no Michigan!?!?! It's the mitten shaped one surrounded by lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    This was my map at the end:

I misspelled Equatorial Guinea, and I could have sworn I wrote Serbia, but I guess not.
    That's what i hate about those sporacle games, I would get way more if I knew the spelling to most of the countries I'm know where they are.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft Flight Simulator is calling at your door. Best way to learn proper geography

Deleted
    I don't particularly care about geography, it serves very little purpose to both my career and private life. I have a general idea of where most countries sit and I generally know a lot about what goes on inside them, that's enough for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm good at geography for Europe and North America.

I'm decent at most of the Middle Eastern nations.

I suck at the rest of the planet.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    My geography is average I guess. Similar to the above except North America.