Thread: Why do I suck?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do I suck?

worldoflogs .com/reports/rt-snpwmwtgz569bml6/

I know I don't have a legendary, but I'm constantly getting outdpsed by the other mages. I always seem to fuck my combusts up and I'm tired of being in last place...

Can someone who knows how to review logs take a look and see what I'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by mflb View Post
    I knew I would regret that title. This thread was created in nerdrage five minutes post-raid.
    My suggestion - live with it for two more weeks.

Then start relearning your class from scratch like every other person out there
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2012-08-15 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Removed Australianism for politeness.

Have you considered working on getting better combusts? It'll help out a lot

Heres a great addon for getting better combusts

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/combustionhelper

try it out
    Last edited by Nekrosislol; 2012-08-15 at 07:18 AM.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    My suggestion - live with it for two more weeks.

Then start relearning your class from scratch like every other bugger out there
    B-but I've been at the bottom for the entirety of Dragon Soul. Look at previous logs. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    Have you considered working on getting better combusts? It'll help out a lot
    I don't even play my mage, but that was my first thought when looking at his logs.

I try to aim for 20k-25k ignites but when I finally find a good ignite number it seems to fall off before I get combust off. Hmm.

B-but I've been at the bottom for the entirety of Dragon Soul. Look at previous logs. :'(
    Yes - but in two weeks the way to play fire mage changes more than it has since Cataclysm started.

Telling you what you are doing wrong now, will possibly increase your dps for two raid lockouts.

Suggest between the 28th of August and MoP, coming back with new logs and comparisons with other mages.

Then useful information can be gleaned (not incredibly useful until level 90) - but more useful that stuff that will be meaningless in two weeks.

Fair answer Schwarz. Appreciate it

15+ Year Old Account
    The responses in this thread about the title, roflrofl. About the dps, well, I'll just say a legendary won't boost your dps to number one.

As everyone else has said, it looks like your combustions are weak, but it has to be more than that at play. Looking into it.

I try to aim for 20k-25k ignites but when I finally find a good ignite number it seems to fall off before I get combust off. Hmm.
    If you're having trouble getting combustions off with good ignites because you're finishing your current fireball cast or whatever and you're missing some of your ignite, make a stopcasting combustion macro so you don't let ignite fall off because you finish your cast then have a terrible, shitty useless combustion.

That's really the only thing I'd tell you for a quick fix (and I use quick fix lightly lol) because as others have said in 2 weeks you're going to get overhauled.

My suggestion would be to take the next 2 weeks and really try to work on aspects of your play that aren't fire/mage specific. Work on your positioning which limits your movement, work on your keybinds, work on your UI so everything is visible, etc. There are probably things outside of lining up a good combustion at play here, work on the basics and in 2 weeks focus on your actual spec/mage's gameplay.
    Last edited by Aceshigh; 2012-08-15 at 07:27 AM.

inb4 thread gets locked

Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    ...make a stopcasting combustion macro so you don't let ignite fall off because you finish your cast then have a terrible, shitty useless combustion...
    #showtooltip Combustion
    /stopcasting
    /cast Combustion

You're not forcing your Ignite procs when it counts. Case in point: Your H Yor'sahj kill. See your second Combustion, and more specifically how it was only on the adds for about three seconds at the end? Also, note your total lack of Blast Waves, Dragon's Breaths, and/or Flame Strikes during that fight. On a multi-add fight like that, as soon as you hit Combustion you're looking for an Impact proc. If one's waiting, great. If not, you force it. Start with Blast Wave because it'll drop a flame strike too, and every mob the Blast Wave hits AND every mob the Flame Strike hits has a chance to give you your Impact. If that doesn't do it, Dragon's Breath or normal Flame Strike them and hit Fire Blast the instant Impact goes active.

Watch what your guildie, Tigan, does as well. He's staying right there with Asphodell on most fights, and he doesn't have DTR either.
    Last edited by DarkSoul; 2012-08-15 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
    inb4 thread gets locked
    I appreciate you making your first post on my thread.

The only thing I can see is that your combustion damage is about the same as the non-dtr mage but you pressed it 3 times and he only used it 2 times. Ohh and also, they seemed to be more lucky with fireballs crits than you which lead to more ignite damage.

Mybigignite is also a useful addon. I prefer it to Combustionhelper, but I couldn't tell you why.

Quote Originally Posted by Zehnn View Post
    Mybigignite is also a useful addon. I prefer it to Combustionhelper, but I couldn't tell you why.
    I completely agree. I find it to be a bit more accurate because it only tells you the last ignite tick instead of the BS approximation system that fails horribly.

How is my reforging? I feel like it might be off. I'm using reforgelite's fire mage preset.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Mflb/advanced

Where'd all the camel stuff go?
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

I'm wondering the same thing.