Naked ADSL and MMOs

So, i recently moved to a new place where ADSL2 isnt available (at least not without a hefty connection fee), and the only thing I have available is Naked ADSL. I also play MMOs online, and I was wondering If anyone has any experience playing MMOs with naked DSL.

If anyone is aussie here, its IInet. Im in Melbourne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naked DSL is just normal DSL. As long as your download speed is sufficient (1Mb+) you should be fine. Latency difference in the underlying technology would have very little difference compared to ADSL2.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Have a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Krunk View Post
    So, i recently moved to a new place where ADSL2 isnt available (at least not without a hefty connection fee), and the only thing I have available is Naked ADSL. I also play MMOs online, and I was wondering If anyone has any experience playing MMOs with naked DSL.

If anyone is aussie here, its IInet. Im in Melbourne.
    i have no clue what the fuck naked dsl or adsl2 is, but im assuming that adsl2 is dsl thats capable of higher bandwidth than naked dsl.

i doubt that any dsl line would have completely terrible latency but as long as you have like a 200kbit download speed you can play wow

it will just take you forever to download patches and you wont be able to browse websites without lagging in wow

like zenny said, latency doesnt have much to do with the technology(as long as its not satellite) it largely depends on line quality/distance from servers.

i have motorolla canopy(wireless internet that uses radio towers) and i get 30-50 latency depending on what server i ping.. not very consistent though x)

shit, i used to get 150-200 ping whenever i played on dialup.
    Last edited by greenn; 2012-08-15 at 11:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greenn View Post
    i have no clue what the fuck naked dsl or adsl2 is, but im assuming that adsl2 is dsl thats capable of higher bandwidth than naked dsl.

i doubt that any dsl line would have completely terrible latency but as long as you have like a 200kbit download speed you can play wow

it will just take you forever to download patches and you wont be able to browse websites without lagging in wow

like zenny said, latency doesnt have much to do with the technology(as long as its not satellite) it largely depends on line quality/distance from servers.

i have motorolla canopy(wireless internet that uses radio towers) and i get 30-50 latency depending on what server i ping.. not very consistent though x)

shit, i used to get 150-200 ping whenever i played on dialup.
    "naked" DSL is more commonly called dry DSL. It's DSL without a phone on circuit.

ADSL2 is Asynchronous (up and down connections have different bandwidth) DSL, version 2.

And actually, a portion of latency is proportional to link speed (serialization delay), but it becomes mostly irreverent above about 1Mbps.

For example, a "56k" connection using a default 1500 byte frame size will result in about 221ms of serialization delay, which is on top of all other network delay. Increase the rate to 1Mbps, and that drops to 11.7ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    "naked" DSL is more commonly called dry DSL. It's DSL without a phone on circuit.

ADSL2 is Asynchronous (up and down connections have different bandwidth) DSL, version 2.

And actually, a portion of latency is proportional to link speed (serialization delay), but it becomes mostly irreverent above about 1Mbps.

For example, a "56k" connection using a default 1500 byte frame size will result in about 221ms of serialization delay, which is on top of all other network delay. Increase the rate to 1Mbps, and that drops to 11.7ms.
    If the OP is asking if "dry loop" DSL will hinder his download or latency, no it won't.

The ONLY things that limit your download is the actual bandwidth provided/capable of reaching (depending on package and/or line length) and latency is almost inherently based on the connection between you and the server.

You can technically get 5 ms over a shitty connection but a.) it would probably fluctuate ALOT and b.) it would still take forever to receive anything but ping replies.

Basically I wouldn't want to play MMOs on anything less than 500kbps.