I used Mistweaver during the MoP Beta, and I did great with it, I had no trouble keeping up with any of the content I was testing out. I haven't played WoW since early 5.0 (left around November-December 2012). Fast-forward to the 5.4 PTR. I made a premade Monk to try out in Proving Grounds / SoO and I'm finding it ... impossible. I feel like I can't get anything done, at all.
I think something is wrong, when I can't even comfortably clear the healer Proving Grounds with Mistweaver. I have gotten Gold with Paladin, Priest, Shaman, and Druid. But I can't even get past Silver with Mistweaver, and it's usually dumb luck if I manage to scrape through Bronze. The contrast is shocking, and confusing.
- Random junk 463 Int Leather dungeon blues that premades come with. Gear scales down, so it doesn't matter. I had no problem wearing the same starter junk on the other classes. :|
- Celerity, Chi Brew, Chi Burst, Chi Torpedo. (5.4 RJW does good healing, but it OOMs me, overheals a lot, and doesn't provide enough Chi)
- Unglyphed Mana Tea, because the pauses between pulls are ideal for chugging tea the old-fashioned way and maintaining high mana supply
My rotation checklist
- Serpent statue down at the midpoint between rDPS and melee
- Stand in melee range and autoattack with Serpent's Zeal, using mouseover macros so I don't lose target/stop attacking
- Switch to Soothing Mist + Enveloping chi-dump when tank damage becomes too much for Eminence to handle
- Renewing Mist on cooldown on anyone who doesn't have it ticking (or is close to expiring)
- Expel Harm on cooldown (5.4 Targeted Expulsion glyph means it's always "useful" healing)
- Line up a Chi Burst as soon as AoE damage goes out (easy with the way the NPCs position themselves)
- Fire off a Chi Torpedo series for next AoE damage (again, can hit everyone in a line due to their positioning)
- Soothing Mist for Chi + Uplift spam if AoE damage continues (NPCs are too spread out for SCK and I can't spare the mana)
- Basically, after a few throwaway easy pulls, the tank NPC starts getting completely hammered faster than I can keep up. Even constant Soothing + maintain Enveloping isn't enough, and if I start throwing in Surging I OOM faster than virgin sex.
- Then the Hive Singer mobs start spamming heavy AoE damage on the party, and I can't maintain both the tank and the party without one or the other dying off.
- If I stop channeling Soothing on the tank to spread Renews and spot-Soothe for Chi to Uplift, the tank simply explodes so fast I can't get him back up, even with Surging spam (which is a lost cause anyway, because if I Surge spam even once my mana supply is over).
- If I don't stop Soothing the tank, the rest of the group gets steadily worn down and eventually someone dies, ending the trial.
- I have plenty of mana (if I don't touch Surging), but the mana is useless because I can't divide my time/GCDs fast enough to keep everyone alive no matter what I do.
If I burn Life Cocoon, Revival, and take Xuen, I can get through it. But I know something has got to be wrong here, because I shouldn't need to burn all the CDs I have (and spec Xuen) just to get through a Bronze healing trial. And, once the CDs are used up, I'm doomed. I absolutely cannot keep this Proving Grounds tank alive without going completely OOM.
That is my biggest issue: no matter what I do, I cannot keep the tank alive under heavy pressure. He just... explodes. I either add in Surging (and OOM and fail) or I refuse to Surge (and he dies despite constant Soothing + Enveloping). Stopping a Soothe channel to heal the rest of the group is, likewise, a death sentence for the tank.
The most frustrating thing is, with every other healing class, I can sail through Bronze without touching a single CD and usually get through most or all of Silver without bothering with cooldowns, either. I usually just forget to use CDs because I don't even need them.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Why am I suddenly so terrible at Mistweaver healing? This class made total sense to me back in Beta.