Random cravings turn into major dislikes

I'm not actually sure if it belongs to this forum, because for all intents and purposes, it's really to do with food, but it probably concerns health equally much.

The basic concept is this - after a surgery that corrected my intestines a little (I had a few intestinal problems), I have had those seemingly random cravings for foods. However, after I've had it, it turns into a thing I never want to see in my life.

The first thing was Sushi. I craved it so bad that I just went and got two boxes. I finished the first box with a day. The second box remained with n-1 items in it, because I didn't even want to see it any more, and the funniest thing is - I didn't even like sushi that wasn't home made (ie non-fish one) previously. Post that, I had craving for chicken sticks, after eating 10 over the course of a few days, I became sick of them. Fish sticks lasted me exactly 2-3 sticks worth before becoming a subject of hate. Same with pistachios, I used to love pistachios, I had a crave for them, finished off two small bags and ... bam. I feel like even smelling them would make me throw up. Then I had an ice cream that I absolutely loved, and had a sudden craving for while walking in store. Bought a 1 liter box. I had a few spoonfuls, now the rest is for my other half's morning coffee. Another thing was Cream of Mushroom Soup by Heinz. I had a few cans and I want it no more. A few days I've had the craving for McD's mini chicken wraps. I got myself two as an experiment. I'll see what happens.

And it only happens to things I really really crave for. Not with liquids such as red bull. Only with foods. On monday, we felt like having some fajitas. It was never a craving, just a mutual idea of "oh yeah, haven't had them for a while". I still don't mind having them at one point near future, but it's not a "must... have..." kind of thing, more like "yeah it was nice, I'll have it again".

Does anyone actually know how or why this happens? Or perhaps is able to link me some materials on the subject? I haven't got a clue on what to search for on Google, as all my attempts in finding the answer to that have gone down the drain with absolutely useless results. Every site assumes that only time you have funny craves is when you're pregnant (I'm a guy). Strangely enough, they're not funny in the way of "being something funny to eat", it's funny how, after having it once or twice I become to hate the delectable.

Ideas? :/

Stop being a princess and eat your veggies.

Edit: on topic though, no I don't know what's wrong with you
    Last edited by Romeo83x; 2012-08-16 at 01:54 PM.

Go see a shrink. It isnt physiological.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd start with not giving in to your cravings as much and yeah, go see a professional. If you don't overeat the subject of a craving and still get this distaste for it, that might be interesting and useful info for said professional.
    Last edited by Dassen; 2012-08-16 at 03:37 PM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    Stop being a princess and eat your veggies.

Edit: on topic though, no I don't know what's wrong with you
    I actually love veggies. Meat + peppers, shrooms, onions etc is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidewok View Post
    are you pregnant
    This. Because if you're not, go see a doctor. And if you are, probably go see a doctor as well.

There's nothing really weird about cravings turning into a dislike... Generally, if you wolf down something you crave and eat too much of it, afterwards you may not feel 100% good, tummy ache, too full, whatever, and this is linked to the food you had. This is typical to food that can be easily wrongly digested, like fat food, raw food, etc.

In French, we'd call it to have a "dégout" towards a certain kind of food, and such "dégouts" can last forever, or awhile, depending on you. When I was 7, my mother made home made chocolate mousse. However, I was sick, and still had some. It took me 10 years before I finally could take a bite of chocolate mousse again, even though back then it was my absolute favourite food of all kind. Even now, another 10 years later, I am apprehensive when I am confronted with chocolate mousse.

Similarly, they don't seem to happen so often to drinks because they generally can't make you feel unwell after. Considering you had surgery, I'd actually check with a doctor first to see if you're digesting your food properly, because if you're not, and your body reacts violently to whatever it is you eat - yeah, no shit that your body makes you shiver just THINKING about eating that same food again.

This is all personal experience, by the way.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-08-18 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All research on the subject of food cravings appears to point to the brain. Many people report feeling stomach ailments and then craving peppermint, ginger, cola, etc. However, in the absence of knowledge of these food stuffs, such as in indigenous populations, the foods being craved are those items known to those people: roots, bark, insects, etc.

Bottom line is: when you crave something, even for medicinal reasons, you only crave what you know; therefore, look to the brain not the body for answers.