What is expected of me in WvWvW?

I've read the Mass Info thread, I've seen the guides on sites like GW2Guru, and I've seen some videos on Youtube, but none of them state exactly what is it that I'm supposed to do in WvWvW. To start off, let me say that I'll probably be entering WvWvW alone, I won't have a small group or a large group of people with me when I do it. So what am I supposed to do there? I've seen that they added sentries in a recent BWE and that sentries are meant to be a soloable to give solo players something to do.

But apart from that, I've seen that supply camps are the main source of supply which is the currency to put up siege weapons and all that jazz. But how does that work? Do I need to carry supply on me by visiting a supply camp? Or is it something that is accumulated on its own and spent on its own when someone uses a siege weapon? If it is something that you carry, what happens to it when you die? Does it drop or do you still have it on you when you respawn?

How are siege weapons deployed anyway? Where do you get the schematic or plans to use them? I've seen guides that say you can use siege weapons but none of them say where they are available. What does it cost to buy them and use them?

Additionally, what are the ranks in WvWvW...I've seen something about a Commander rank or something along those lines? How does one obtain that, and what is its purpose?

Sorry if it seems like this is something that should be obvious, but I haven't come across this info anywhere and with less than 9 days to the headstart, it seems like I'm woefully under-prepared for WvWvW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to suggest reading this thread- it has some really great info on WvW: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion

Other than that, I would also suggest grouping up with some ppl in WvW. It's not really meant to be played solo, even if you don't want to join a guild or something- I'm sure ppl will form squads once in the map- try grouping up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    I've read the Mass Info thread, I've seen the guides on sites like GW2Guru, and I've seen some videos on Youtube, but none of them state exactly what is it that I'm supposed to do in WvWvW. To start off, let me say that I'll probably be entering WvWvW alone, I won't have a small group or a large group of people with me when I do it. So what am I supposed to do there? I've seen that they added sentries in a recent BWE and that sentries are meant to be a soloable to give solo players something to do.

But apart from that, I've seen that supply camps are the main source of supply which is the currency to put up siege weapons and all that jazz. But how does that work? Do I need to carry supply on me by visiting a supply camp? Or is it something that is accumulated on its own and spent on its own when someone uses a siege weapon? If it is something that you carry, what happens to it when you die? Does it drop or do you still have it on you when you respawn?

How are siege weapons deployed anyway? Where do you get the schematic or plans to use them? I've seen guides that say you can use siege weapons but none of them say where they are available. What does it cost to buy them and use them?

Additionally, what are the ranks in WvWvW...I've seen something about a Commander rank or something along those lines? How does one obtain that, and what is its purpose?

Sorry if it seems like this is something that should be obvious, but I haven't come across this info anywhere and with less than 9 days to the headstart, it seems like I'm woefully under-prepared for WvWvW.
    This:.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian
    "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-08-16 at 02:37 PM.

Deleted
    Now that would be 'What is best in life?,' Squirrelbanes.

Generally just help out. Grab some supplies, they're always handy to have around, help people construct catapults, try to attack enemy supply caravans, try to capture supply camps etc. Don't try things alone, it never ends well.

Siege weapons are deployed by the use of schematics which cost bronze/silver/gold from a vendor usually in your base. Not sure where entirely, I know there's one at the eternal battlegrounds spawn for your team.

Commander can be obtained for quite a bit of money an is usually an option for guilds to invest in one commander that knows what he's doing. Not entirely sure what he's useful for.

Don't worry, everything will become apparent while you're playing, you don't need to go into WvWvW knowing everything about it.

There aren't any ranks in WvW. To be a Commander you have to buy a one-time item for 100 gold. Then anyone can join your squad up to 50 people and you get a separate chat channel.

To deploy a siege weapon you need the blueprint for it and supply to build it. Blueprints can be bought from your server's camp at each map with gold or badges. They can drop from mobs or as rewards in jumping puzzles in WvW.

Anyone can carry 10 supply and it doesn't disappear when you die. You get supply from keeps, towers and supply camps you own, though it's best to not take supply from keeps and towers because it's needed for defensive upgrades. You should always carry supply.

As a solo player you can capture sentry points but it's difficult at low level. You can kill enemy Dolyaks to stop them from delivering supply to enemy keeps and towers or defend the friendly ones. To capture a supply camp you need 2-5 people, you can't do it alone.

Organize people. Tell them what to do. Believe me, many will happily follow. Be that person who has bought some siege blueprints. Remind people to take supplies. During one of these stress test I had a blast running with a small group (around 15 people) because I was apparently the only one with rams. We were able to capture two towers and would have captured a third one but the stress test ended

So what am I supposed to do there? If you're alone you can go take down sentries. Sentries are very strategic points as they basically decide who owns a road, thus if supply will reach its destination or not. To give you an idea on how much important they are : you'd need a fully upgraded supply camp for a Dolyak (supply carrier) to get past a sentry. So if you're alone and can't take a supply camp by yourself, what you can do is identify which road is important to the enemy and neutralize the Sentry guarding it. This will spawn a friendly Sentry who will act as a barrier to any supply traveling that road.

If you don't feel like jumping around the map killing Sentries, or if someone has already taken care of that, your other option is to join the masses. You can just ask in map chat, and people will most likely tell you where the action is happening and where you need to go. Never hesitate to ask for a TeamSpeak/Mumble server to join as a lot of times guilds will set them up to communicate with PuGs. Also, if you see an enemy supply camp deserted you can ask in map chat if any loners want to help you claim it. All in all, the idea is that you have to be active : ask around, assess the situation, identify valuable nodes, take initiative and you'll never feel lost in WvW.

But how does that [supply] work? Supply is constantly generated in supply camps. Dolyaks take some supply from the supply camps and get it to keeps/towers through roads. The quantity transported by Dolyaks depends on how much upgraded your supply camp is. You can get supply in supply depots, 10 supplies at a time (meaning you have to use those 10 supplies before you can get an other 10). You can find supply depots in keeps/towers/supply camps that your server controls. Once you pick up supply, you can never lose it unless you use it, even if you die.

How are siege weapons deployed anyway? Where do you get the schematic or plans to use them? Generally you can buy siege weapons in your world's base. You will find NPCs called Siegemasters who will sell you the schematics for prices ranging from a couple silvers to a piece of gold. You deploy the siege weapons by double clicking on the schematic then clicking on the area where you want to deploy the weapon. You then have to ask people to build it using the supply they're carrying (that's why you ALWAYS have to be carrying supplies)

Additionally, what are the ranks in WvWvW... The only rank you can get in WvW is commander. You can get it for 100 gold and its only purpose is to identify yourself as someone who knows what he's doing and make it easier for players to see you in the map and follow you. You also get access to a team chat where you can give orders to your followers.
    Last edited by DrunkenBeard; 2012-08-16 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    always have supplies. if you have money to spare, buy some sieges. rams if you are in an attacking group. always go in groups. try not to just rush towards 20 enemies. wait for everyone to gather then attack. else you just waste your life
    also, if you have supplies and your tower is being attacked. either waste them on sieges, or you can also repair your gate from the inside which saves your server some time
    Last edited by mmocebc8ec9eed; 2012-08-16 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks for the info all, it's been most helpful. Can't wait for next Saturday to roll around.

Regarding supplies, you'll hear people say 'always grab supplies' but that's not always true. I have played in WvW where my side had a severe supply shortage so people that were grabbing them just to carry them around or using them on siege weapons in non-strategic places were actually hurting their side. If you have no intention of actually using the supplies you pick up (you really should be using them but some don't) then don't pick them up in the first place.

You also need to pay at least a little bit of attention to the map/team chat so you will a) have some idea if your side is currently suffering from a supply shortage and b) know where to take supplies if you've already acquired them. Use your head a bit. If you have already lost several keeps/towers and have one currently under siege, it's probably a better idea to ferry supplies to the siege target and use them to repair stuff than it is to build a ballista to fire at a few random enemies in a random location.

Please use the general PVP discussion thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...?highlight=pvp

Thanks!

-- Fencers