SSD, so many choices.

Hi!

So I been thinking of buying a SSD for quite sometime now, but since I need one before MoP is here I am going to buy one in the near future, but here comes the problem. I have absolutely no idea what to look for when you search for different SSDs other then I would like it to have atleast 128gb space. And some 128gb SSDs cost more then double the amount of money then other 128gb SSDs, so I am so confused!

So could any of you guys give some heads up on some stable/good SSDs that have around 128gb space. Thanks!
    Last edited by Fmp; 2012-08-16 at 10:20 PM.

Crucial M4
    Samsung 830
    Intel 320

I personally went with the Intel 330 120GB SSD, it's been working flawlessly for me and is pretty damn fast. Although if you have a bit more cash you could go with the 520 series which here in Australia is around $50 more.

Crucial M4
    Samsung 830
    Intel 320
    What he said. Those 3 are the most reliable SSD's out there. I went for Samsung, haven't regretted it yet

What about the Corsair Force GS? I was originally going to get the Samsung 830 but all stores nearby are sold out (even online ones). I suppose that could be an indication of how good it is :P
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2012-08-17 at 12:02 AM.

Check the controller used. If it is not Sandforce 2281, it should be fine. However, if you can get one of the drives mentioned above, get it.

I'd avoid any Sandforce based unit. Not only because of recent issues, because of Sandforce's inherent issues of compression and suffering bad after TRIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Check the controller used. If it is not Sandforce 2281, it should be fine. However, if you can get one of the drives mentioned above, get it.
    It's Sandforce 2200-series.

+1 for Samsung 830 series. Samsung uses their own proprietary controller which comes very highly rated. I bought mine about a week ago as an upgrade from my old Kingston 64gb and the difference was as major as going from a 7200rpm HDD to the 64gb SSD. SSDs are absolutely amazing for WoW which suffers from some fairly lengthy load times especially if you play with addons. Additionally if you have a case with a window the Samsung is a very beautiful unit with a brushed black aluminum finish.
    Last edited by General_Typhus; 2012-08-17 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I'd avoid any Sandforce based unit. Not only because of recent issues, because of Sandforce's inherent issues of compression and suffering bad after TRIM.
    I own a Sandforce based drive and even though I've had no issues I still would recommend a Samsung or Crucial, in fact the next SSD I buy will most likely be a Samsung 830 256GB unless something better comes out in the next month or so.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Crucial M4
    Samsung 830
    Intel 320
    Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GB is on sale atm, so I guess I will go for it!

what motherboard will you be using it on?

anything using the marvell 9128 sata 3 controller will be bottlenecked AND the controller doesnt support TRIM either

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    what motherboard will you be using it on?

anything using the marvell 9128 sata 3 controller will be bottlenecked AND the controller doesnt support TRIM either
    Asus p7p55d-e lx.