Why no automatic infractions for breaking the rules?

Why is it when someone makes a thread breaking forum rules they don't get an automatic infraction? Or even worse, people make obvious troll/flame bait threads and don't get infracted. Additionally, I see a handful of posts get infracted because they "aren't constructive." Meanwhile the majority of non-constructive posts on these boards are ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's all based on the personal opinion of the mod and whether or not they like the poster and whether or not they are having a bad day.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Because it's all based on the personal opinion of the mod and whether or not they like the poster and whether or not they are having a bad day.
    That's the conclusion I'm coming to.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread will end badly as it's not allowed to discuss moderation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

oh the irony. If there was, you'd receive one for starting this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    This is the S&F forum, he's just making a suggestion.
    Not closing the thread and instead clarifying the process. I like that. I like you. You make me smile.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the S&F forum, he's just making a suggestion.
    Ah, this is news to me. Thank's for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Well, I don't think banning individual words would be any better. Each report is looked at by several moderators, so it's not just the opinion of a single moderator that decides if a post is over the line or not.

If you see a bad post that hasn't been infracted even though you reported it, you're more than welcome to PM a moderator of that forum and ask why.
    That's good to know. Thank you.

It's just that when I see a post along the lines of "who cares," and nothing else of substance, I wonder why these aren't reprimanded. Just seems like a lot of the garbage could be cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    That's good to know. Thank you.

It's just that when I see a post along the lines of "who cares," and nothing else of substance, I wonder why these aren't reprimanded. Just seems like a lot of the garbage could be cleaned up.
    I've seen excessive modding practically destroy a forum of 150,000 members. I much rather they didn't make a big deal out of small things just for the sake of making a thread 29 pages instead of 31. As for the warnings about posts being non constructive, is that because the posts are being offensive in a non constructive manner? Could you provide some links of the type of posts you're referring to? I don't believe I've seen any unfair modding on this site, but that doesn't mean the mods read every single post in every single thread. It is possible certain people just click the report button more frequently.

If you really believe that mods only warn people because they're having a bad day or basing an infraction on their personal values, I strongly urge you to visit some other sites on the internet (with a decent amount of users) that allow anyone to debate political discussions. The mods here have never seemed to me like they have something stuck far up their asses, and I think I've dealt with a fair share of incredibly biased modding on the internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I've seen excessive modding practically destroy a forum of 150,000 members. I much rather they didn't make a big deal out of small things just for the sake of making a thread 29 pages instead of 31. As for the warnings about posts being non constructive, is that because the posts are being offensive in a non constructive manner? Could you provide some links of the type of posts you're referring to? I don't believe I've seen any unfair modding on this site, but that doesn't mean the mods read every single post in every single thread. It is possible certain people just click the report button more frequently.

If you really believe that mods only warn people because they're having a bad day or basing an infraction on their personal values, I strongly urge you to visit some other sites on the internet (with a decent amount of users) that allow anyone to debate political discussions. The mods here have never seemed to me like they have something stuck far up their asses, and I think I've dealt with a fair share of incredibly biased modding on the internet.
    I wouldn't post them here. Just report things that are bad posts. If you have an issue with the way that it's being handled, PM Sunshine. That's the golden rules and best advice I can give to any user who is concerned about posts or the moderation of posts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Our goal here is to facilitate discussion, and it's mods' job here to make sure that happens. There's no way to develop an automatic infraction system based solely on keywords or whatnot. Really, it's impossible -- that's why we have human mods who can look at the context and understand what's going on in posts.

The consequence of having human mods is that they can't be everywhere at the same time, and they sometimes make mistakes. If you feel that something hasn't been dealt with yet, report the post. If you feel that a thread closure is out of line, send a nice, rational PM to the mod who closed it with a request and explanation about why it should be reopened. If you have issues with an infraction, write an appeal in the ban appeal forum if you're banned or PM a mod if you're not.

If you have issues that just aren't resolved after taking these steps, send a PM to me directly with links to specific examples and I'll take a look myself.