Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    In love, no, that's a bit too much. But I only play female characters and naturally I really like them. If I don't -- I don't play this game for long. And I am having problems with real women because videogame characters are just so superior in everything compared to them.

15+ Year Old Account
    My imperial agent is kinda cute, but it is her voice that draws you in. The best female voice in the game.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I can regard my characters as having personalities of their own, but I think I have a good grasp on reality not to get that attached.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

all my toons are female, and since i am a straight female i have never fallen in love with any of them, except in the sense that i often wish i could look as kickass and awesome as they do. and yes i am speaking of twileks too they rock
    Last edited by hellosaltygoodness; 2012-08-18 at 08:40 PM.

I haven't done anything similar with this game but with kotor on the other hand...when you play it 11 times things happen... <.<

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 12davargo View Post
    I haven't done anything similar with this game but with kotor on the other hand...when you play it 11 times things happen... <.<
    How could you ever love your own toon when you have the amazing Bastila Shan at your side?

Deleted
    Are female IA's really that awesome? I'm planning to re-roll one once I'm done with my smuggler.. I'm still torn between choosing a female or a male IA.

10+ Year Old Account
    No lol seems a little creepy man

Anybody that said yes to this needs to stop playing and get more involved with real life. I do not mean this in a mean way, but for your sake reconnect with reality.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all...and that actually doesn't sound healthy for the psyche. I definitely enjoy the female form, but like/love them is way off imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Magzilla View Post
    I would marry my twilek sith sorcerer over any real life person. lol

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=521900
    He might have been trolling, then again having been in chat with some guild members I sometimes had to wonder if many of them got outside much.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Some people become far far too attached to their toons and various other pixels.

Did anyone read that thread he linked to the SWTOR Forums? ....... Scary stuff.

No. I always identify myself with my character regardless of gender, so it would be kind of like marrying myself, and I'm no narcissist.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

well, i have a perfectly normal life. i don't sit on the game 24/7 and i have a gf i care very much for. but yes, i have fallen for several characters over multiple games, especially skyrim. i only cared for two characters on swtor though, my sith juggernaut and my jedi sage.

For me it's more the voice actor adding attractiveness over the body model (since you can pretty much make that however you'd prefer, within the game's guidelines). Female BH VA and Kaliyo, for me, though I haven't heard all the VAs just yet.

'Fallen in love with' is too strong, really. You can certainly have an emotional connection with a character though. You can care for them and share in their perceived emotions, just like any other type of character. That's part of telling a good story: getting your audience to connect with your characters.

I would contest that those who say 'lol no they're just pixels, I feel NOTHING' are the ones with the problem. Almost sociopathic, no? Both extremes are probably undesirable; feeling too much, or feeling nothing at all. A healthy balance is good, just as with anything else.

To answer personally: I've felt that characters in SWTOR are cute and have cared about what happens to them. Beyond that, no, and certainly not about my own character (though my only female character was my Smuggler who only got to level 35 or so).

There's one game which stands out as a shining example of getting me (and anyone, really) to care about the characters within. One game, which is entirely free and caused a complete storm when it was first released in January 2012. That game, of course, is Katawa Shoujo. After playing a single path I felt emotionally drained because of the ridiculous amount of feelings it was invoking. A very strong, very powerful set of stories and characters; I strongly recommend this game to anyone who scoffs at the idea of feeling anything towards fictional characters. Dare you to play that game without feeling anything, it's nearly impossible.

Deleted
    In MMO's like this? Sure, they are okay and I like the way I can form the to be the person I had in mind while creating, but that's about it.
    I keep the "falling in love" for games that are more storyline-laden than this.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    well, i have a perfectly normal life. i don't sit on the game 24/7 and i have a gf i care very much for. but yes, i have fallen for several characters over multiple games, especially skyrim. i only cared for two characters on swtor though, my sith juggernaut and my jedi sage.
    Have you told her that you share your affection with imaginary characters in a video game? My wife is a gamer and she would still not tolerate that kind of crazy...not to mention if you are serious then it's borderline infidelity.