10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down [US] Woman threated with $600 USD fine per day for food charity work

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/851...ches-shut-down

A US woman who handed out free lunches to children in her poor neighbourhood has been threatened with a $600-a-day fine if she continues her charity work.

Philadelphia resident Angela Prattis reportedly supplied up to 60 meals a day to local children during the summer holidays.

The meals, which were made by a local church diocese, were intended to be a healthy choice for children in the low income neighbourhood where the average wage is just $US19,000 ($18,068) a year.

But a tip-off from a neighbour led a local council to investigate, which found zoning restrictions forbade Ms Prattis from continuing her work.

"I don't make a dime," Ms Prattis told Fox News.

"You have houses here, the roofs are falling in, and they could be focused on a lot of more serious issues than me feeding children," she said.

Pennsylvania officials say she needs to apply for a zoning variance at a cost of $US1000, or risk incurring a $600 fine if she continues distributing the meals.

Additional Source: Fox News

Ok seriously? fine per day? SHES HELPING PEOPLKE OUT FFS!
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

I don't even know, The people that live among us can be sickening.

Off-topic: An ambulance had its siren on and tried to get through, People didn't give way despite there being room to change lanes forcing the ambulance to get around them driving in on-coming traffic just to get around.

News like this doesn't surprise me much at all with the way some of humanity is going.

It has been dropped, but they're still insisting that she pay $1000 to apply for the zoning thing, for next year, to operate out of a residential area.

Also the lunch program was funded by the state.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-17 at 05:57 AM.