Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Crafting and the future of white items

White items really had their place in D2. Runewords combined with superior / etheral affixes really expanded the item hunt.

In D3 we are given the crafting system, which is cool in some ways. I like the idea of breaking down old, useless gear and turning it into something useful.

I have a little trouble understanding the purpose of white items past level 7-8 other than filler. I had an idea that white items could be implemented into the crafting system.

What if you could reduce the gold cost of crafting and retain any base mods (superior or w/e) by using a white item as a reagent in addition to the other materials. So lets say you find an item with +15% damage, you use that to craft a rare weapon and it retains that +15% on top of whatever it rolls. (I just want to clarify that this would be an optional material - you could still craft without it at higher gold costs and perhaps a longer craft time)

I think the crafting system should have a lot more options for customization. You should be able to add gems as an optional material to get a 1-2 fixed item mods (similar to cube crafting in d2 - blood items, safety, hit power, etc.)

Overall I feel that the crafting system has a lot of potential, it just needs to be tweaked. A solid crafting system adds replay value and reduces dependence on the auction house.

EDIT: Post #420
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2012-08-18 at 01:45 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    What if you could reduce the gold cost of crafting and retain any base mods (superior or w/e) by using a white item as a reagent in addition to the other materials. So lets say you find an item with +15% damage, you use that to craft a rare weapon and it retains that +15% on top of whatever it rolls. [I](I just want to clarify that this would be an optional material - you could still craft without it at higher gold costs and perhaps a longer craft time)
    It would be a nice way to control the outcome of crafting just a little, not retain the bonus the way you describe but instead be able to force an affix, so if you use a white item with %dmg you would force that affix on to the weapon, bonus armor on a white would force bonus armor affix and so on, something I always thought crafting needed as it's way to random as is (I say that as you destroy items for lots of gold, pay gold to have an item crafted that can't even be i-lvl 63 and subject to same RNG as drops to boot).
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-08-18 at 02:00 PM.

Would it work the way that if you use the exalted grand axe recipe you actually needed the 62/63 white axe? If so i like that idea

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be such a problem if the game would stop thinking I was trying to pick it up, when I never even clicked on it.

I don't really think the idea of making them help out in crafting would work out. Besides, is there a limit to bonuses on exceptional white items? If so, you're losing out, unless that 15% on the white would stack with whatever bonus your random crafted rare gets.

Tinfoil hat time-
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    reduces dependence on the auction house.
    Exactly why it won't happen.

I could also say that they intentionally left out systems such as runewords in order to sell them to us in a later expansion. Why sell us all of your ideas at once when you can sell half of them now and half of them later. They can say the mystic was "just not fun," it's certainly a better excuse than "intentionally took her out to have more material for D3x1.

I agree that white items in D2 were nice, just one of many things. Even a poor player could find a clean CV and trade it for a real item or a HR.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-08-19 at 07:46 AM.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Tinfoil hat time-

Exactly why it won't happen.

I could also say that they intentionally left out systems such as runewords in order to sell them to us in a later expansion. Why sell us all of your ideas at once when you can sell half of them now and half of them later. They can say the mystic was "just not fun," it's certainly a better excuse than "intentionally took her out to have more material for D3x1.

I agree that white items in D2 were nice, just one of many things. Even a poor player could find a clean CV and trade it for a real item or a HR.
    I totally agree, but one can hope, right?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    white items are there to increase the "how nice, loads of loot drops!" even though it sucks.