10+ Year Old Account

Another build question thread

Hey there guys... I will soon be building a new low budget rig ( Max 700 euros) and as always, have some questions... The build will be as following:

Case:Termaltake VN40001W2N Commander MS-I Black
    CPU:Intel Core i5 3570k
    GPU:PNY GTX 285 (Gonna use my old one, had spent a fortune on it when I first bought it)
    RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit
    MoBo:Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    HDD:Seagate ST3750525AS 750GB HDD 3.5"

Now... About the PSU...I was wondering if 550W will be efficient, because of the GPU's power consumption, and I am also looking for a silent GPU Cooler (Lower than 26 dB maximum) compatible with the CPU of course. Any other ideas would be helpful... Thanks

EDIT: The computer is going to be used for college/ a little gaming (Blizzard Games at most)

I would also like some suggestions on a medium budget gaming keyboard, and if I should buy another mouse (I currently have a Razer Deathadder). Thanks again
    Last edited by Deathguard; 2012-08-18 at 10:00 PM.

1. I'm not a fan of Thermaltake's cases, I feel like they're very gimmicky nowadays... If you're looking for a case in the $50 range, I suggest the Antec Gaming Series One.
    2. CPU looks good.
    3. The GTX 285 isn't a bad card, per se, but you're gonna wanna upgrade that eventually.
    4. RAM is fine, keep in mind though, the regular Corsair Vengeance (with the large heat sinks) can interfere with some aftermarket CPU coolers, so get the low profile version.
    5. I'm not a fan of Gigabyte motherboards personally, I've had some DOA issues. I normally recommend ASRock. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is just as good as that Gigabyte board, and a good bit cheaper.
    6. I'm not a fan of Seagate drives, they're normally a little slower than their Western Digital (Caviar Black) or Samsung (Spinpoint) counterparts.

• Generally speaking, 550W should be enough to power that build, but you didn't list the brand or model, so it's hard to say for certain... You definitely do not want a cheap/generic PSU.
    • The XIGMATEK Gaia is a pretty decent CPU that is affordable and meets your noise requirements.
    • It's hard to suggest a keyboard because I'm not sure what you consider "medium budget". To me, that's like $40-$70 (when talking about keyboards). In that price range, I'd suggest the Microsoft Sidewinder X4.
    • As for the Deathadder, if you're happy with it, I see no reason to switch. I'm not a fan of Razer personally, but if you like it, far be it from me to tell you to get something else.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-19 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    1. I'm not a fan of Thermaltake's cases, I feel like they're very gimmicky nowadays... If you're looking for a case in the $50 range, I suggest the Antec Gaming Series One.
    2. CPU looks good.
    3. The GTX 285 isn't a bad card, per se, but you're gonna wanna upgrade that eventually.
    4. RAM is fine, keep in mind though, the regular Corsair Vengeance (with the large heat sinks) can interfere with some aftermarket CPU coolers, so get the low profile version.
    5. I'm not a fan of Gigabyte motherboards personally, I've had some DOA issues. I normally recommend ASRock. The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is just as good as that Gigabyte board, and a good bit cheaper.
    6. I'm not a fan of Seagate drives, they're normally a little slower than their Western Digital (Caviar Black) or Samsung (Spinpoint) counterparts.

• Generally speaking, 550W should be enough to power that build, but you didn't list the brand or model, so it's hard to say for certain... You definitely do not want a cheap/generic PSU.
    • The XIGMATEK Gaia is a pretty decent CPU that is affordable and meets your noise requirements.
    • It's hard to suggest a keyboard because I'm not sure what you consider "medium budget". To me, that's like $40-$70 (when talking about keyboards). In that price range, I'd suggest the Microsoft Sidewinder X4.
    • As for the Deathadder, if you're happy with it, I see no reason to switch. I'm not a fan of Razer personally, but if you like it, far be it from me to tell you to get something else.
    1. I think Ill be going for m next option then which is the Coolermaster Elite 430.
    3. I know that I wil need to upgrade it, and the main factor of that is that the card doesn't support DirectX 11.
    4. Thanks for the advice, will look into it.
    5. Sadly there are not many stores here in Greece selling ASRock products, but Ill do my best to find it.
    6. Its the cheapest 750GB I could find, so I think Ill stick with it.
    [*]1. The best kinda low-priced PSU I foud is Coolermaster GX Series 550W[*]2. Looked into it, perfectly fits my requirments.[*]3. Exactly what I meant by medium budget, checked some reviews of Sidewinder, I think it will be my choice.

Thanks a lot for your help, really saved me... Still needing some feedback on the PSU though :P

Eh, I'd stay away from Cooler Master power supplies, they make decent cases and heat sinks, but their PSUs leave a lot to be desired.

Take a look at the 500-599W list from this site, any of those PSUs will be fine, my personal favorite brands are Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and XFX. Antec is usually the most affordable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Eh, I'd stay away from Cooler Master power supplies, they make decent cases and heat sinks, but their PSUs leave a lot to be desired.

Take a look at the 500-599W list from this site, any of those PSUs will be fine, my personal favorite brands are Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and XFX. Antec is usually the most affordable.
    Found this one.. It is the only 550w-600w I could find in Greek stores, based on the manufacturers you recommended... And luckily, the case you recommended was in stock, so I managed to buy it for 35 euros... Lastly, this is the model of the RAM I am looking to buy, was this the model you were referring to as possible to interfere with the CPU cooler?
    Last edited by Deathguard; 2012-08-25 at 05:38 PM.

That PSU will be fine. And yeah, that's the RAM I was talking about, those high heatsinks often interfere with CPU Coolers.