Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Yeah, that's correct. Pretty much everyone here is privileged. And yet the majority seem unhappy with something.
    Another proof that the human being will find a way to be unhappy even if it has everything.
    I personally fail to see the correlation of how being privileged leads to one being happy.

Unless one (note: I'm not accusing you) implies that happiness is caused by material things, then I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    One woman is raped. Another is raped and had bleach splashed in her eyes so she couldn't see her attacker. Going to tell the woman that identified her attacker that her suffering is nothing because someone else suffered more?
    In my opinion, a good, reasonable response that I have to agree with.
    Last edited by lopk; 2012-08-19 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Getting a job in social services won't prove that a majority of poor people are mentally ill.
    it will let you see that the majority of those you will work with are...everyone I have ever talked to in any "social service" job in USA have always said the majority of their "clients" were diagnosed mentally ill in some form or another, including my father, who worked for the "social services" in USA for over 20 years...either they ALL are lying or their ALL of the "client's" doctors are misdiagnosing them...

One woman is raped. Another is raped and had bleach splashed in her eyes so she couldn't see her attacker. Going to tell the woman that identified her attacker that her suffering is nothing because someone else suffered more?
    You're putting it to the extremes. Rape is rape, it's hard to get worse than that. What we're talking about is more like complaining that you can't buy a cellphone, complaining that you can't afford the latest tv show, vs. actual complaints like you can't afford food.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    agreed - if you have time to whine about stuff, you have time to do something about it

"if you get the dirty end of a stick, sharpen it into a useful tool..." (Colin Powell)
    "Not every stick has to be a weapon..." (Bradley Ware)

15+ Year Old Account
    it will let you see that the majority of those you will work with are...everyone I have ever talked to in any "social service" job in USA have always said the majority of their "clients" were diagnosed mentally ill in some form or another, including my father, who worked for the "social services" in USA for over 20 years...either they ALL are lying or their ALL of the "client's" doctors are misdiagnosing them...
    Just because people "say" they are mentally ill, doesn't mean they are. You're trying to make a point with nothing but the word of another. Go to my link from before, about 20-25% of homeless people are mentally ill. That is VERY far from a majority.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I personally fail to see the correlation of how being privileged leads to one being happy.

Unless one (note: I'm not accusing you) implies that happiness is caused by material things, then I would agree.
    Privilege means one doesn't have to worry about staying alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eowenn View Post
    we are talking about poor people, not homeless and destitute people...

mentally ill people are not mentally ill by choice...no, not all poor people are mentally ill, but a majority of them are...

get a job in any area of "social services" in USA and you will understand just how many poor people in the USA are mentally ill...
    By far and away the majority of poor people I have seen are trailer trash that would rather bludge off handouts than lift one of their scummy fingers. Sure some are mentally ill. If you have an education(talking about finishing High school) and aren't mentally ill(the minority) then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Privilege means one doesn't have to worry about staying alive.
    Okay, I'll give you that one, you're definitely right. I suppose I'm thinking about this in a different way than you.

Just because people "say" they are mentally ill, doesn't mean they are. You're trying to make a point with nothing but the word of another. Go to my link from before, about 20-25% of homeless people are mentally ill. That is VERY far from a majority.
    so, the people I personally know, including my father, who all work/ed for social services are ALL lying about the doctor's diagnoses and the person who wrote that paper is not?

not to mention, that paper is ONLY about homeless people, not ALL poor people...
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2012-08-19 at 06:56 AM.

You're putting it to the extremes. Rape is rape, it's hard to get worse than that. What we're talking about is more like complaining that you can't buy a cellphone, complaining that you can't afford the latest tv show, vs. actual complaints like you can't afford food.
    I'm not saying this is anywhere in the same league, but around here, no cell phone = no job.

Also, I was simply putting into context that just because one person doesn't suffer the same, doesn't mean their complaint is any less relevant to their pursuit of happiness. One complaint I have is extreme back pains and no job. I can't get health care because of a vitamin deficiency. I also never went to the dentist as a kid and can't get dental insurance. That mean I have no right to suck my life sucks when I am basically bound to a chair all day because my back hurts too much to stand?
    Last edited by Eon Drache; 2012-08-19 at 07:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well when you're talking about somebody who is mentally ill, it goes two ways. They either have somebody caring for them, or they don't. If they do, they probably wouldn't be considered "poor." If they don't, they're homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    "Not every stick has to be a weapon..." (Bradley Ware)
    i clearly quoted "a useful tool"... do you think all "useful tools" are weapons??

I'm not saying this is anywhere in the same league, but around here, no cell phone = no job.
    So get a cheap < $100 phone. Takes a few hours of working, don't tell me you can't do that. Borrow a friend's phone if you really need a phone for that first day or two of saving up.

Well when you're talking about somebody who is mentally ill, it goes two ways. They either have somebody caring for them, or they don't. If they do, they probably wouldn't be considered "poor." If they don't, they're homeless.
    there are degrees of mental illness, some that allow you to take care of yourself...my uncle was one that that had a mental illness that allowed him to take care of himself as long as neighbors were willing to check in on him from time to time, but alot of mentally ill people are not capable of doing jobs that would pay them enough money to NOT be poor....
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2012-08-19 at 07:04 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    not all mentally ill can't care for themselves.. but alot of them are not capable of doing jobs that would pay them enough money to NOT be poor....
    Have you ever known somebody mentally ill? I'm curious, are you talking from experience or something?
    I have grown up with multiple mentally ill people around me. My best friends brother has autism, my cousin has autism. Growing up, both my aunt and uncle had extreme cases of schizophrenia, and that same aunt developed alzheimer's. People who are mentally ill and can care for them selves and can get a job no problem, at least not any harder than the next person.

I'm thinking our definitions of "poor" and "mental illness" differ.

When I hear the word "poor," I see somebody who cannot afford the necessities of life.

When I hear the words "mentally ill," I see an individual who has a difficulty caused by a mental deficiency that has an effect on their life in a negative way. If the illness is bad enough, they will need aid to be able to live their life. Its like the difference between autism and aspberger syndrome. Both are considered "mental illness" but somebody with aspberger's can take care of them self and function in our society.
    Last edited by ThatCanadianGuy; 2012-08-19 at 07:11 AM.

Deleted
    It's more the other way around, the standards in 3rd world countries are too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I don't think so at all.

I have seen the argument "well in x 3rd world country middle class = living really shitty" and "in America the average poor person will still have 3 tvs" I've seen that line at least five times on this forum in like a month. Where is this coming from even?

I mean it doesn't make sense to me to compare A first world country to a third world and say, hey look! Things are worse there. Well no shit. If anything you should compare france to america england to america england to france, and the like or germany, whatever, all first world countries. Don't stick in "Well in Afghanistan things are so bad for the people there "
    Not many people are thankful for what they have. There's so much I can express on this subject, but I'm not going to get into it.
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. -Lou Holtz"

I'm thinking our definitions of "poor" and "mental illness" differ.
    wiki them if you want to know my definitions of them...

this is so wrong its not funny, you can still live, work and care for yourself with a mental illness, not all mentally ill people are drooling messes that couldn't put a coherent sentence together if their life depended on it. Did you know clinical depression is a mental illness and their are plenty of rich people that care for themselves with it.
    Anyway as soon as any "poor person" purchases a luxury item they no longer deserve any pity cause they now have luxuries in their life, either I have no pity for poor people, the poor suburbs I have been to have all been dumb, drunk and racists losers and the scum that beg in the streets of cities, their all filthy and stink.
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2012-08-19 at 07:18 AM.