Quick question about adding more RAM

Hey!

I built my computer 2 years ago and am about to do some small upgrades to get it ready for MoP. Since I see Blizzard is pushing a 64 bit version of WoW I decided to get some more RAM.

I currently have:
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145265

If I was to purchase:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

I would be Okay to use all 4 sticks together? Put the two new sticks in primary slots and move the old sticks back? I know it is important to keep RAM timings and voltage close but I believe my mobo (ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard) should be able to handle it?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Is an SSD worth getting over a 7200 RPM HDD if money is a factor, my HDD is getting old and I can only replace it or get a smallish SSD.
    Last edited by Diaxx; 2012-08-19 at 06:01 AM.

Deleted
    Don't mix different sticks of memory, especially if they're different size.

Just stick the new ones in and be happy. 8 GB is plenty for gaming.

EDIT: Oh and SSD; it's a luxury item that improves your quality of life. There's no turning back once you've tried it once. If you get one, make sure you can fit atleast windows and WoW on there. Don't get one to store you media and other stuff like that. SSD is for the OS and a few games that have a lot of loading screens and ones you play often.
    Last edited by mmoc0ed4fe3e9c; 2012-08-19 at 06:35 AM.

Is your OS 64 bit ? If not you cant even use the 64 bit client. Pretty sure it wouldnt impact ram usage much anyway between the 32 and 64 bit clients.

I'm using win7 ultimate 64 and dual boxing wow plus browser I maybe just topped 4GB of ram used. I honestly dont see a point in adding more ram for just wow. You may have other reasons though.

If money is a factor SSD's are not worth it yet imo.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

I can't see a reason why adding the new sticks might be bad , since they have the same characteristics .

Quote Originally Posted by wvx View Post
    I can't see a reason why adding the new sticks might be bad , since they have the same characteristics .
    8GB would be more than enough for gaming atm, but unless you really want more because you're able to utilize a lot of it such as for media editing, rendering, photoshop etc, then you should just buy a 16GB kit.

It's always been bad and unwise to mix memory as it can cause a number of problems, especially for such a sensitive component. Remember, different models from each manufacturer might also use different chips (i.e. BBSE, Elpida Hyper, Samsung, Hynix, etc). Lets not also forget different timings between those 2 are different, but for the most part, it's just bad practice to mix RAM.
    Last edited by Drakoes; 2012-08-19 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    8GB would be more than enough for gaming atm, but unless you really want more because you're able to utilize a lot of it such as for media editing, rendering, photoshop etc, then you should just buy a 16GB kit.

It's always been bad and unwise to mix memory as it can cause a number of problems, especially for such a sensitive component. Remember, different models from each manufacturer might also use different chips (i.e. BBSE, Elpida Hyper, Samsung, Hynix, etc). Lets not also forget different timings between those 2 are different, but for the most part, it's just bad practice to mix RAM.
    Okay, thanks for the answers everyone.

I know that in the past it was always said never to mix, but according to some of my research the newer mobos can handle it. I guess I will just replace it all.