Deleted

Reinstalling Windows XP Home

My PC is very slow, from booting to shutting off. So i decided to reinstall windows, and format my HDD. I lost my original Windows XP Home CD, so i downloaded a Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 iso, and burned it on a CD. I reinstalled windows, but windows won't accept my ORIGINAL Windows XP CD key. Now the question is, Could it be because the CD key wants a Windows XP Home Service pack 1/2? Or shouldn't that matter at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    You need an OEM version of XP not retail. Also, where did you get your iso from? You can't download it legally anywhere.

Call Microsoft. Tell them that you reinstalled Windows, but it doesn't accept the key for some unknown reason. They'll give you a new key.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    You need an OEM version of XP not retail. Also, where did you get your iso from? You can't download it legally anywhere.
    What is OEM and how do i get it for free?

Also @asmekiel

I don't need a new key, i have a legit one. It just wont get accepted.

My CD is not original, the code is.

PS, i bought windows seperate from my PC.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 12:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    What is OEM and how do i get it for free?

Also @asmekiel

I don't need a new key, i have a legit one. It just wont get accepted.

My CD is not original, the code is.

PS, i bought windows seperate from my PC.

Its solved. I found my original Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 2 CD, and reinstalled it. CD Key Accepted.
    Last edited by mmoce38467a1b7; 2012-08-19 at 12:08 PM.

Deleted
    I know you fixed it but as extra info, XP and Vista the keys are service pack related, nothing to do with OEM versions. So if you bought a windows version with SP 2 your key wont work on SP 1 or 3.