Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Both the girl and the manager were complying with the demands of someone in a higher authority.

No, just no.
    Spitzer played a major role in the childhood and the rise to power of his son Eliot, the future New York Governor. According to biographers, during a game of Monopoly between father and son, the elder Spitzer would order his seven or eight year-old son, Eliot, to sell him a piece of property, which, later in the game, the future governor could not afford. In this way the father taught his son: "Never defer to authority."
    another quote:
    Bernard (who is in his 80s and suffering from Parkinson's) was a fierce, demanding parent. He once reduced Eliot to tears during a game of Monopoly. Bernard, a real estate developer, had ordered his son — at the time a boy of 7 or 8 — to sell him a piece of property; Eliot then couldn't afford the rent when a roll of the dice landed him on that property. "He didn't realize his own rights," Bernard told Masters years later, adding that he had taught his son a lesson: "Never defer to authority."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz240aO7GPY
    Next time someone comes to you and says 'I have authority', remember Elliot's story, or just remember this story of how the girl was raped - and think to yourself if you're going to be the rapist, or are you going to stand up to this 'authority' concept.

I think what's weird is that the real girl is prettier than the actress they hired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Next time someone comes to you and says 'I have authority', remember Elliot's story, or just remember this story of how the girl was raped - and think to yourself if you're going to be the rapist, or are you going to stand up to this 'authority' concept.
    From day one we are taught to respect authority. Teachers, parents, police officers, adults, etc...

It's an interesting concept to teach a child to stand up to people in positions of authority, or to question authority. I think in this modern day, its a lesson being taught more and more.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I think what's weird is that the real girl is prettier than the actress they hired.
    And she's a brunette, not blonde. What gives?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Both the girl and the manager were complying with the demands of someone in a higher authority.

This is like the study where a subject is told by a scientist in a white coat to zap some anonymous individual with an electrical charge. The disturbing part is how many people continue to do it even after the individual goes unconscious from pain.

www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html
    That's totally different. That was contrived to see how far people would go when they had an authority figure commanding them to do stuff against a dehumanized subject. This is some random idiot calling you, claiming to be a cop, and telling you to strip one of your employees - which you personally know - to see if they've stolen some change from a customer? And they comply?

You have to be an idiot, *very* desperate, or motivated by a desire for something other than obeying an authority figure to do something like this, as the rape demonstrates. Oh yeah, he believes that a cop is coming over there to chekc things out, and then he decides to attack and rape her? Clearly, he's not a crazy person at all...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe people were walking out because they couldn't handle the stupidity of it all....not because of how 'disturbing' it was. Or maybe the local assisted living home mistakenly picked this movie on their weekly outing?

Usually movies that are disturbing, but good, don't have people walking out on it very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    That's totally different. That was contrived to see how far people would go when they had an authority figure commanding them to do stuff against a dehumanized subject. This is some random idiot calling you, claiming to be a cop, and telling you to strip one of your employees - which you personally know - to see if they've stolen some change from a customer? And they comply?

You have to be an idiot, *very* desperate, or motivated by a desire for something other than obeying an authority figure to do something like this, as the rape demonstrates. Oh yeah, he believes that a cop is coming over there to chekc things out, and then he decides to attack and rape her? Clearly, he's not a crazy person at all...
    It's only "totally different" because for some reason you refuse to see how similar these instances are.

You are completely underestimating the human conditioning to compliance and obedience to higher authority.

And by the way, it isn't a single instance where just one guy happened to be really dumb. It happened successfully over thirty times.

http://jonathanturley.org/2009/11/24...ank-rape-case/

Between 1994 and 2004, an unknown individual placed a series of hoax telephone calls to McDonald’s and other fast food restaurants, pretending to be a police officer. During that time, he convinced restaurant managers, employees, and third parties to conduct strip searches and even sexual assaults at his direction. The caller was successful in accomplishing his perverse hoax more than thirty times at different McDonald’s restaurants alone, including several in Kentucky.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Maybe people were walking out because they couldn't handle the stupidity of it all....not because of how 'disturbing' it was. Or maybe the local assisted living home mistakenly picked this movie on their weekly outing?

Usually movies that are disturbing, but good, don't have people walking out on it very much.
    I guess you didn't read the article since it said they walked out specifically due to the disturbing content.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Apparently a guy would call places of business claiming to be a police officer. He would accuse an employee of theft and often got managers to strip search the employee. Some incidents resulted in rape.
    Were they afraid they hid the money in their ass or something? Why would you need to strip search someone for something like this?

Anyway, this can never happen in my country luckily.

From day one we are taught to respect authority. Teachers, parents, police officers, adults, etc...

It's an interesting concept to teach a child to stand up to people in positions of authority, or to question authority. I think in this modern day, its a lesson being taught more and more.
    Questioning authority has to be taught.
    There have been cases of murder, where they suspect that someone was impersonating a police officer and pulling people over:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/15...s-by-possible/
    I think there were cases before that, with same thing but couples involved, and no signs of struggle - so it didn't look like a hitchhiker.

I would say, that if you think someone's pausing as a cop - run, if you didn't stop yet - just call 911, say there's a weird car chasing you, make another police car come. Make them bring in another police car, the chances of two fake police cars are exponentially less likely, so once you have that, you know it's a cop.
    What's the worst that can happen? you go to jail for a month? What's the worse that will happen if he's fake? raped (yes, I'm assuming you're a guy) and killed? keys taken, family raped? tortured? I think you see my point - the worst case scenarios are so very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Were they afraid they hid the money in their ass or something? Why would you need to strip search someone for something like this?

It can happen whenever there are gullible people, doesn't matter what country you're in.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    People call that disturbing?!
    You forget that this is America.

Ofc, some people find anything disturbing,. like a nipple during super bowl !

I'd say, there's plenty of horror movies ( IT, friday the 13th, etc etc) that are plain disturbing from the obvious standing.
    Whats disturbing about "this" movie, is apparently that these people can somehow relate to it, and feel less save because it "actually happened".

I'm more disturbed about the fact that at no point during the trialer did they ask for the guy to come over and show his badge, or called the actual cops to verify his identity.
    Some people are just, too gullible for their own good.
    Last edited by bbr; 2012-08-19 at 05:08 PM.

Not to completely derail the thread, but this was the basis for an episode of Law and Order, which featured Robin Williams as the antagonist.

OT: A Serbian Film is worse.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

Deleted
    ''Russian Neo Nazi beheading'' is the most disturbing movie ever.

I honestly cannot fathom the lack of sense required to yield to a guy on the phone claiming to be a cop. I mean really? Where does the manager say "I will not do that you will have to come here" or the girl "I want a lawyer" or any of the 100 questions brought up by a 'cop' calling in to deputize you into his service basically.

All in all I do find the concept of this very disturbing, disturbing that people can be so sheepish and dense to do this. Then to bring in your fiance to watch and question a naked 19 year old WTF dumb ass broad.

I hope the girl this actually happened to is now rich, I woulda sued McDs, the Manager and the Fiance.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2012-08-19 at 05:22 PM.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    ''Russian Neo Nazi beheading'' is the most disturbing movie ever.
    That's pretty disturbing, but not at all surprising. These are Nazi's, and they do worse things than that.

And I can't understand how someone finds Friday the thirteen disturbing, it's a made up story - why not find Santa desturbing? he climbs down chimney and leaves boxed packages.

I just read the plot for A Serbian Film. I feel sick and kind of want to go cry.

Deleted
    This is retarded and disgusting beyond belief. The real story that is, movie's a movie to me. It's not just "complying and respecting authority", the people willing to do that are seriously screwed up to begin with and just use that as an excuse. Also who else thinks the McD woman deserves to rot in jail as well?

the true life situation is disturbing. i have trouble seeing a reenactment even coming close to that level. while the story it's based on is real, the actors are still acting

15+ Year Old Account

This is like the study where a subject is told by a scientist in a white coat to zap some anonymous individual with an electrical charge. The disturbing part is how many people continue to do it even after the individual goes unconscious from pain.

www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html
    That article only shows part of his experiment. In later tests it was shown that people tried undermining the authority through various means.

For example they tried to give the "victim" the correct answer, and as soon as they felt the doctor wasn't watching (left the room, had his back turned to them) they wouldn't do it.
    Physical proximity also played a role as well as if the "authority" appeared legitimate (wore a labcoat, was introduced as a doctor).
    One of the largest undermining factors was if the subject saw another participant be disobedient.

BTT:
    Personally I don't find it too disturbing. I'm interested in stories about human depravities and what led up to them. And even if not, this doesn't come close to a Serbian film...which I couldn't watch past the 20 minute mark.
    Last edited by Zao; 2012-08-19 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't want to watch a movie like that because sheep don't want to see the drawbacks of just following the herd.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm just curious what country exists that rape, or even forced rape can't happen? When people exist there are bound to be flaws in some of them. This is the only time I've heard of something like this occuring, but just because it's so rare doesn't mean i would put it out of my head as impossible. I truly wish for a place where such atrocities wouldn't exist, for obvious reasons and personal ones.