10+ Year Old Account

Building new PC, Have RAM question

Hello all, I am building a new PC for MoP among other things and Im pretty sure I will be buying this motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER This board does support up to 128GB of RAM and while I'm pretty sure 128GB of RAM wouldn't make a noticeable difference over a much smaller amount (I cant even find 16GB sticks of which I would need 8 to max it out), would there be any difference if I went with 32GB or 64GB. And if not would there ever be a need for 128GB in a future where this board and the Core i7 3930k CPU I'm going to put it in would still be usable.

The reason I ask this is because Im considering getting this RAM kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2UD8BTC1DRFED which is a 8x4GB kit and if I ever needed to upgrade it, I would have to trash the 8 sticks to get a higher amount of RAM. If that is the case then Id rather buy a 4x8GB kit

That much ram is only useful for very few things, if you're just going to be browsing the internet and playing games, there's really no point in getting more than 16gigs and I'd say even 8 is plenty for that. If you're going to be doing seriously heavy video editing and encoding and making 3d cinematics and such, you might want to consider getting more, but otherwise there's really not much point
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Is there a specific reason that you need LGA 2011?

Basicly 8 gig of ram is more then enough for the current games and games that come out the comming 1-2 years. 16 gigs of ram or higher is basicly only used in pc's that do intensive stuff like photoshop. If u wanna be future proof when it comes to memory and gaming get 16 gig anything higher is just throwing away money same as with going for a lga 2011 wich is overpriced crap just stay with an lga 1155 cpu and mobo and u get more bang for ur buck.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I recently bought a new customised PC and went for 16GB of ram purely because its so cheap, you are talking about 128gb of ram? haha you don't need that much at all, and if you did you wouldn't be asking on this forum as it would be for something like video editing like others have stated.

With higher amounts, you may need to do some hardware tweaking too to get it to work. Roommate got 32gb, and he had to modify voltages so it would all get recognized.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I second this question, very few people need (or will even be able to utilize) 2011 CPUs, it's really just a waste of money for the average user.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-19 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not really. I just like to try and future proof my PC as much as possible so I dont have to upgrade as soon. Plus I liked that it has 8 RAM slots and it supports all the newest technology including multiple USB3 ports and 3 PCI-E 16x slots, so if I choose to in the future I can do a 3 was SLi. Would you have a better cheaper recommendation? I would need to support the core i7 3930k CPU because from what I read it performs better than the older models and they support DDR3-1600 instead of DDR3-1333. By all means I am all for saving money so if there is something cheaper and just as good, Id like to hear it. Ill mainly be using the PC for games and dont want to have a slideshow when MoP comes out and there is 200 people at an NPC
    Last edited by Orlong; 2012-08-19 at 04:28 PM.

2011 and the 3930K is no more future proof than 1155 and an i7 3770K (or even i5 3570K) if all you do is game. Like I said before, it's just a waste of money if you're just an average gamer... There's also no reason you'd ever need 8 RAM slots, like multiple people here have said, you won't use more than 16GB... RAM is where a lot of novices go horribly wrong (contrary to popular belief, more RAM is not necessarily better).

Save your money, and spend it elsewhere (better GPU, for example).

Edit: Velophyx raises a great point below me... By the time you need more than 16GB of RAM, DDR4 will be the standard, so that 2011 board using DDR3 will be out of date.

The concept of "future proofing" is largely impossible in the PC market, because technology evolves too quickly... Buying/building a $1500 PC now and another in 3 years is a much better idea than buying/building a $3000 PC now and trying to stretch it over 6 years.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-19 at 04:36 PM.

Deleted
    Well, 16GB of ram would be more than enough for the coming years. Bare in mind that buying an LGA2011 system and getting a shitload of RAM would just get you in trouble lateron. The PC market is developing quickly, I'd personally go for an 1155 mobo + i5/i7 ivy with about 16gb of ram at this time. You have to realize that that board will be out of date before you will be needing more than 16gb of ram. By the time you will, DDR4 will have entered the market and prices of DDR3 will go up again because of supply and demand.
    But to answer your question, Yes, a shitload of ram COULD have some use, like creating a RAMdisk. I personally only heard about it and don't have experience with it whatsoever, maybe you can find more info here: (enDOTwikipediaDOTorg/wiki/RAM_drive)

Anyway. I'd say, you can buy a PC which is good enough for the coming 3 years for about half the price what I expect you to be spending on the PC you're looking to buy. (I expect not only the RAM and the 2011 motherboard would be the high end components). Just buy a new one 3 years later. It's way better for your wallet and you will keep up with the technological developments.

I would suggest that you take some time and read up on hardware and game performance, right now it seems that you are willing to spend A LOT of money on something you don't even understand. Just getting the most expensive parts you can find won't do you any good.

If you really have money burning holes in your pocket then at least spend it in a good way.
    Get a nice desk, a nice chair, get high quality peripherals, stuff that will actually benefit you in the long run. Paying $1000 for 1% more performance in a game is crazy.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-08-19 at 04:38 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Unless you are active with photoshop or other intensive rendering LGA 2011 is an overkill and a waste of money. LGA 2011 cpus are mainly 6 core and games are just starting to make use of 4 cores. If you have decent chunk of money to spend it's ok to get a LGA 2011 but when you don't you are beter of getting a i5 3570k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504 or an i7 3770k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115095 with a z77 motherboard. You would save like 30% money for a setup that only lasts 1 year shorter. And there are Z77 motherboards like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188120 that are triple sli proof(pci-e 3.0 won't be used at full speed anyways with the current gfx cards)

So unless u go do photoshop or stuff like that don't get the LGA 2011 cause it's less future proof when u look at money spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    Unless you are active with photoshop or other intensive rendering LGA 2011 is an overkill and a waste of money. LGA 2011 cpus are mainly 6 core and games are just starting to make use of 4 cores. If you have decent chunk of money to spend it's ok to get a LGA 2011 but when you don't you are beter of getting a i5 3570k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504 or an i7 3770k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115095 with a z77 motherboard. You would save like 30% money for a setup that only lasts 1 year shorter. And there are Z77 motherboards like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188120 that are triple sli proof(pci-e 3.0 won't be used at full speed anyways with the current gfx cards)
    So unless u go do photoshop or stuff like that don't get the LGA 2011 cause it's less future proof when u look at money spend.
    Yeah, from what people are saying, I think Ill go with the board you recommended and a 3770k. Then I could get a better video card or maybe 2 and 16GB of RAM.

3770K is more reasonable than the 3930K, but still unnecessary, the i5 3570K is more than enough in a gaming rig.