Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    i hate daddy longlegs, when i was a child my sister use to pick them up and put them on my head, funny now that she is more terrified of spiders than i am, but i still hate them.

I know enough about spiders to know the daddy long legs is not a spider. It has 7 legs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by propsmc90 View Post
    There is this spider in my bathroom (daddy long leg) and i noticed a really interesting thing, yesterday when I saw it it was small :|, today when I saw it got bigger o.o way bigger then it was yesterday, I thought holy cowsauce do they grow really fast?

So my question is do spiders grow really fast? Like after one meal? I'm so intrigued o.o
    Chances are it moulted overnight. When they cast their old carapace/chitin layer, they have a layer of protective tissue which isn't immediately stiff, it takes about 2 hours for it to stiffen to the point where it isn't elastic. I'm guessing it took that chance to spread out the organs and stuff which were probably all pushing on each other as it was growing since the moult before the one that happened.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I know enough about spiders to know the daddy long legs is not a spider. It has 7 legs.
    This one isn't a daddy long legs, it's a cellar spider which is often mistaken for a daddy long legs. This one is a spider indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Chances are it moulted overnight. When they cast their old carapace/chitin layer, they have a layer of protective tissue which isn't immediately stiff, it takes about 2 hours for it to stiffen to the point where it isn't elastic. I'm guessing it took that chance to spread out the organs and stuff which were probably all pushing on each other as it was growing since the moult before the one that happened.
    Woo that's interesting :O

and I saw that Wolf spider thing, 0.0 I don't understand how you can live with does suckers... I don't think I could go to sleep

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by propsmc90 View Post
    Woo that's interesting :O

and I saw that Wolf spider thing, 0.0 I don't understand how you can live with does suckers... I don't think I could go to sleep
    It is interesting indeed. People don't realize arthropods (everything with divided legs and chitinous body layers as their external skeletons; arachnids (spiders, scorpions, etc), crustaceans (crabs, lobsters, shrimps, that kind of thing), millipedes, centepedes and hexapods (insects)) all have to shed their "skin" in order to grow, much like reptiles. They actually had this function a lot sooner than reptiles.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I lost 4 family members to spiders. I do not like them at all.

Deleted
    Maybe it had dinner? I know mosquitos can increase their size by 10 after a good meal. Don't know what daddy long legs eat though :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I lost 4 family members to spiders. I do not like them at all.
    Dear god, where do you live? Australia?

Deleted

do you mean this? in any case, they don't grow like that over just one day. You most likely just saw another spider. They are very common, and chanses are you have several at home.

I used to pull the legs off of these fuckers when I was a kid, and then just leaving it on the ground. So evil
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2012-08-19 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not many spiders in the UK are deadly (if at all) and as long as they keep out of my way idk what they do.

However one night a few years ago i pulled a double shift to cover a sickie, then after work i went out on the piss with colleagues. I get in during the early hours and get in bed. Just as im dozing off i feel something crawling up my leg. It got faster and was up by my hip, i threw the covers back and this spider at least 6 cm across JUMPED at my face.
    I screamed like a toddler, lept from my bed and ran downstairs (nearly went through the frontdoor as i was going that fast).

I slept on the sofa that night with our cat keeping me company, he sensed something was up and never left my side
    Yeah i know the spider wasn't going to hurt me but i was shattered, pissed and freaked out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    All I know about spiders is that they are vulnerable to fire damage.
    this forum needs up votes, you are hilarious sir

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Dear god, where do you live? Australia?
    While our spiders are poisonous, most of them won't kill a healthy adult (some may give you a bit of pain though). Someone who is ill or a small child can be adversely affected and death is certainly possible, however treatment is readily available and bites are rather uncommon. If I remember correctly there have been no deaths attributed to a spider bite since anti-venom was introduced in the early 80's. Conversely there were more recorded death's from bee stings in the 1980's then have ever been recorded for snake or spider bites.

Deleted
    There's an easy and fun way to get rid of all spiders. It's the electric flyswatter. Watch them twitch and smell them burn.

They do not grow that fast ... But they are harmless to you and they get rid of all the other odd bugs in the house/around. Take it outside!
    What grows fast? Bamboo! up to 3 feet/day. Pandas have it made.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post

do you mean this? in any case, they don't grow like that over just one day. You most likely just saw another spider. They are very common, and chanses are you have several at home.

I used to pull the legs off of these fuckers when I was a kid, and then just leaving it on the ground. So evil
    And I think the spider I'm referring to is a cellar spider...

They don't? :O Does bloody things must be playing tricks on me , cause that spider I saw yesterday was hanging upside down at the same place as I saw today... I wonder where the other one went :O.
    I use to do that too... I still feel bad :C, man why you gotta bring does memories back T-T

I just realized only a few people answered my question and the others just seems to deviate away from it. Lol kind of funny
    Last edited by propsmc90; 2012-08-20 at 03:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

This is my Daddy Longlegs. They aren't spiders and are completely harmless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brought to the world by the devil himself, spiders tend to feed on the souls of living organisms for their own sick and twisted pleasures.

I have kept and studied tarantulas for over a decade.
    can you take a pic of the spider? (if its a longleg like above, its harmless)

spiders cannot grow that fast. They molt, or shed their skin. There is typically a long wait between molts, depending on age, humidity, temperature food availability etc. younger spiders molt more and older bigger spiders molt less.

Quote Originally Posted by solaceofwinter View Post
    I have kept and studied tarantulas for over a decade.
    can you take a pic of the spider? (if its a longleg like above, its harmless)

spiders cannot grow that fast. They molt, or shed their skin. There is typically a long wait between molts, depending on age, humidity, temperature food availability etc. younger spiders molt more and older bigger spiders molt less.
    I can't it ran away, but its a cellar spider for sure. That is fascinating :O thanks for the info solace!

10+ Year Old Account
    i like daddy long legs there harmless and make good fly killers
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!