Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

abortion is bad "'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy"

Stop throwing tomatoes at me, it's not my line.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ncy/?hpt=hp_t2
    Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy
    Rep. Todd Akin, who won Missouri's GOP Senate primary earlier this month and will face incumbent Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill in November's general election, defended his hard-line stance against abortion in all cases this weekend by saying "legitimate rape" rarely resulted in pregnancy.
    "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," Akin continued. He did not provide an explanation for what constituted "legitimate rape."
    Although it maybe interesting that he would have such a crazy stance, I think there's a bigger story here.
    The bigger story is that's the type of politicians we have.
    The woman is either a liar, or this is some sort of a miracle - that seems to be what he's saying. Or maybe I'm misreading it (really in a bad mood now, so could be).

Edit: For those who are arguing stress actually has something to do with getting pregnant.
    If a woman is under stress, she may not ovulate, and therefore no egg = no pregnancy.
    However if a woman is walking down the street, stress free, and ovulated, than BAM! she's raped (legitimately raped, whatever that means) so stress didn't have any impact. Stress won't magically reverse time, and keep ovulation from happening if it already happened.
    30% of women get pregnant within first month of trying. And "TRYING" is a word that married people use, so to not overstress if there's no pregnancy. There isn't some magical 15-minute window when a woman can get married per month, the window is few days.
    Personal experience: first kid in first month, second kid took 3 or 4 months and we both were stressed, and worse physical shape.

second edit:
    Last edited by someotherguy; 2012-08-25 at 12:00 AM.

It kind of comes across as if he's implying women have some special power that allows them to decide not to become pregnant. Either that or he's talking about morning after pills. Also wonder how loosely he's using the word 'rarely'

How is that guy in any seat of power...?

When I saw the topic I knew it would be Republicans.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

I'd like to know where he got his evidence from. You have the same chances of getting pregnant from rape as you do consensual sex.

Holy shit, what superhero women does he know?

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    He said almost all the right answers. Almost.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    How is that guy in any seat of power...?
    In the same way EVERY damn republican is...He got elected..............................

This is one reason why I hate the world

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that last quote stating that women have the power to will away an unwanted pregnancy?

This is going to turn into a political debate calling it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy, now I know that when I have sex I should just chant 'I think I can't' and all shall be well.

Seriously there is nothing to debate. This is a derp, herping away like a derpa.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Lol what?

The female body will physiologically prepare itself for penetration (ie: lubricate) to protect itself, even during a rape. It's not going to "shut down" it's own biological imperatives for survival or for reproduction.

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    You're too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    The premise is political, how was it ever anything else?

Missouri Republican
    Not surprised anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read it as implying that every women who got pregnant as a result of rape secretly wanted to. Thats gonna go over well with womens groups. The sad thing is, this is not shocking to be heard from a republican
    Einstien trolled Newton so hard with general relativity

15+ Year Old Account
    You know, outside of stopping slavery, I wish the North would have lost the Civil War. Then us here in the "civilized" North wouldn't have to do with the rampant stupidity in the Southern US. Good to know that women apparently can prevent pregnancies with their mind.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-08-19 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Is that last quote stating that women have the power to will away an unwanted pregnancy?
    Boy, I sure wish that were the case! Then we wouldn't even have to have arguments about abortions in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the Republicans are making massive strides to gaining the votes of American women