Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Is the US on the verge of an economic collapse?

The reason I've started wondering is because I recently had an interview at a McDonalds, and I asked the manager how many people where going to be hired. He told me that he had interviewed over 30 people for 2 positions. Apparently you now need a bachelors degree to flip hamburgers.

Yea.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2012-08-20 at 07:08 AM.

End times are near if you have to compete for a job in a McDonalds.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    End times are near if you have to compete for a job in a McDonalds.
    I know that's supposed to be a joke, but it may not be far from the truth.

Currently, no.

If certain people are able to pass certain laws were they elected, then yes, easily. But that kind of discussion goes in the two stickied threads.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but I bet 20 of those 30 just showed up to meet their unemployment or welfare interview quota.
    Last edited by Amsden; 2012-08-20 at 07:12 AM.

Depends on how you define economic collapse, but generally speaking, no, not at all. Unless Congress decides to play chicken with the national debt again.
    So I guess when you think about it, it's not that far from collapse.

He told me that he had interviewed over 30 people for 2 positions. Apparently you now need a bachelors degree to flip hamburgers.
    Is that what he said? That he's not considering peopel without a bachelors?
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-20 at 08:17 AM.

Yeah I don't think so. I see help signs all over the place here.

Many industries have bottomed out. I can no longer get a payroll job in my city without a bachelors degree. Its even stated so in the job description. The pay hasn't changed. Your only hope at getting an office position without a degree is by going through a temp service. That in itself is dangerous. I've had to get temp jobs these last 3 years to stay afloat. Every interview i've had for a stable in company position so far, the manager has used my temp jobs as an excuse not to go forward with a second interview.

The Capitalist system of eternal debt and growth is doomed to colapse anyway it's mathematical, the question is not yes or no but when...

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Depends on how you define economic collapse, but generally speaking, no, not at all. Unless Congress decides to play chicken with the national debt again.
    So I guess when you think about it, it's not that far from collapse.

Is that what he said? That he's not considering peopel without a bachelors?

So not at all, but yes? Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    So not at all, but yes? Ok.
    It's fundamentally okay, but political instability is a massive risk that can render realities on the ground unimportant.

We're not in great shape, but it seems relatively stable at least, rather than something like the great depression where everything collapses over mere days. I'd use the word "sinking" instead of "collapse", it implies being more gradual.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-08-20 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    I heard your country's debt is around hundreads of billions... so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    The world would be a much worse place if the US had no debt.

You wish. $11 trillion public debt held by the public.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-20 at 09:29 AM.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! OH HOW I DO WISH OUR DEBT WAS SOMETHING AS RIDICULOUSLY LOW AS THAT!

Sadly we were in the tens of trillions.

I've seen jobs wanting receptionist to earn 11 dollars an hour and have a masters degree. So really I am not surprised at all.

The US has been on the verge of a collapse for ages. It is on the verge and it will stay on the verge of a collapse without collapsing as it usually does, unless something happens...
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-08-20 at 12:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    You wish. $11 trillion public debt held by the public.
    wow... and I thought it was worse when thinking it's only "a few hundread" billions. But now... wow, just wow, I don't even know how someone can make such a debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Things are actually turning around. As hard as it is to believe, unemployment is going down and the economy is growing.

But it is still hard to get a job at the moment in a lot of places.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    No.

Things are actually turning around.
    Without a political 180*, any effect will be temporary.

The US could be going back into another recession, but honestly the one that we need to worry about is China with its real-estate bubble that WILL collapse and will make the US's one look pale in comparison.