Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    The difference is our Supreme Court strikes this kind of crap down everyday. The differences is that we're free to recall or vote this guy out. The difference is that those who don't agree aren't persecuted. The difference is we don't stereotype an entire nation by a microcosm of its electorate. Furthermore, had you bothered to read more than BBC, you'd see even the crazy republicans are now hanging Akin out to dry over this.

Your failure to understand those differences is why many Americans regard foreign critique on their domestic affairs as quite retarded.
    You act like the BBC isn't reporting how the Republicans are hanging him out to dry, when I just posted an article of them doing that 1 post ago. I'll post it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19326666
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    Nope, the South has pretty high teen pregnancy rates. Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas all in the top 10. I did find it interesting that NM, NV, and UT are the top 3.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf
    As I said south florida is pretty lax in handing out condoms to whoever, compared to other states in the south that would be more strict about such measures. Not sure if you can just filter out the inner city areas versus the rural areas so see if plethora of condoms vs absence of same. Or education for that matter. I'm saying that it's more of a socio-economic problem than an education/ contraceptive problem past a certain level.

Heres my case in point...at least from my point of view.

I'm in the army, we have full access to contraception. If you walk into any TMC (troop medical center) you can grab handfulls upon handfuls of condoms for free.

In our last battalion formation I saw at least 5 femals who are single...lving in the barracks..and pregant. They are adults they know about sexual education, and they have unfettered access to birth-control.

They CHOSE not to use it

In all actuality here its even worse because the taxpayer is going to foot the ENTIRE bill for all the pre-natal, post natal etc costs.

I don't see how tossing more money at the problem will solve anything, teens/ adults have access to free conctraception now, just because there will be more doesn't mean people will use it more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    One of the many reasons this "leftie" won't be voting for him. That's not the only way he's very similar to a centrist republican.
    So instead of voting for "sometimes sane", you're either going to not vote or you're going to vote for "all crazy, all the time".

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I don't see how tossing more money at the problem will solve anything, teens/ adults have access to free conctraception now, just because there will be more doesn't mean people will use it more.

"Things are fine in the army, so obviously there's no problem anywhere else".
    Last edited by Masark; 2012-08-20 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So instead of voting for "sometimes sane", you're either going to not vote or you're going to vote for "all crazy, all the time".

"Things are fine in the army, so obviously there's no problem anywhere else".
    uhhhhh the point was that things "aren't fine" and we are a perfect example of how just throwing money at the problem doesn't solve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    uhhhhh the point was that things "aren't fine" and we are a perfect example of how just throwing money at the problem doesn't solve anything.
    How exactly does it work when a soldier becomes pregnant?

I don't know what your conditions are, but I assume they don't put pregnant women in dangerous situations? And there's extra financial incentivization as well? Could be argued that soldiers are a special case since they are more incentivized to get pregnant than the average young person.

[edit] Why doesn't the army mandate conctraception? Sounds very strange to me to voulentarily disable soldiers like that (same goes for the men, btw; sounds like a very bad idea to let them potentially go around getting locals pregnant).
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2012-08-20 at 09:51 PM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    So we see many a times people blame the Taliban for their treatment of women (most of middle eastern countries actually), I give you this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19319240

A row has erupted in the US after a congressman said women's bodies were naturally able to prevent pregnancy in the case of "legitimate rape".

Todd Akin, who is also running as Republican candidate for the Senate, made the comments in a TV interview to explain his strict views on abortion.

Keep in mind that this man is "ahead" in the polls.
    Do Americans actually support such people? Honestly, how are you any better than Taliban, no matter if it's just one state out of the whole country but you had education that the people who get brainwashed to be terrorists never had, and yet you have a full state which stands by such a person?

This, right here is the American double standard that the whole world talks about. ersonally, I am struggling to tell the differnece between america and the taliban now. Both opress women (not all taliban do it either). Both are against free speech (julian asange revealing the truth), both have waged wars that had no basis ( Iraq, vietnam compared to taliban's retarded wars against the west)...How are those two different?
    Christians and Muslims both have very unfavorable views of women. That a rightwing Rep pops something like this should come as no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Christians and Muslims both have very unfavorable views of women. That a rightwing Rep pops something like this should come as no surprise.
    Many people on forums have very unfavorable views of Christians and Muslims. Their religious ignorance and intolerance makes it no surprise that posts like this should show up on internet forums.

Now can we please stop judging huge numbers of people based on what your stereotype of them is? Thanks.
    Last edited by Tandrius; 2012-08-20 at 09:51 PM.
    "We are dwarfs, but dwarfs who stand on the shoulders of those giants, and in our insignificance we are able then to see further than they over the horizon." Umberto Eco - Il nome della rosa

A fantastic guide to what's not in the constitution! http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#life

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    So we see many a times people blame the Taliban for their treatment of women (most of middle eastern countries actually), I give you this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19319240

A row has erupted in the US after a congressman said women's bodies were naturally able to prevent pregnancy in the case of "legitimate rape".

Todd Akin, who is also running as Republican candidate for the Senate, made the comments in a TV interview to explain his strict views on abortion.

Keep in mind that this man is "ahead" in the polls.
    Do Americans actually support such people? Honestly, how are you any better than Taliban, no matter if it's just one state out of the whole country but you had education that the people who get brainwashed to be terrorists never had, and yet you have a full state which stands by such a person?

This, right here is the American double standard that the whole world talks about. ersonally, I am struggling to tell the differnece between america and the taliban now. Both opress women (not all taliban do it either). Both are against free speech (julian asange revealing the truth), both have waged wars that had no basis ( Iraq, vietnam compared to taliban's retarded wars against the west)...How are those two different?
    If you can't tell the difference...

Akin has been universally condemned within the Republican party, and is being urged to drop out by virtually everyone.

Is Akin advocating the stoning of women? Is Akin actually participating in the stoning of women? Is he approving the execution of girls by their fathers becaue the girl looked at a guy? Is he burning uppity women to death? Is he executing women who aren't wearing a burka? Burning to death wome who are "convicted" of adultry?

The comparison is absurd. Against free speech? So, you have no problem with me seeing all your email, class reports, text messages, recordings of every phone conversation you've ever had? Even more ironic considering you've put no information about yourself in your profile. You don't want to share with us, (which of course is fine), but you think that onjecting to the violation of your own privacy is the same as impeding free speech.

Here's an Assange difference: If Assange did to the Taliban what he did to the US and was in Afghanistan, he'd have been killed months ago.
    Last edited by Aeka; 2012-08-20 at 10:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I don't know what your conditions are, but I assume they don't put pregnant women in dangerous situations?

[edit] Why doesn't the army mandate conctraception? Sounds very strange to me to voulentarily disable soldiers like that (same goes for the men, btw; sounds like a very bad idea to let them potentially go around getting locals pregnant).
    As far as I'm aware, the US military doesn't allow women, pregnant or not, in "combat roles".

For the second, not sure why birth control wouldn't be mandated (I'd guess the brass think the above mentioned prohibition on women in combat roles makes it a moot point), but for men, there is no non-permanent medical contraceptive available.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrius View Post
    Many people on forums have very unfavorable views of Christians and Muslims. Their religious ignorance and intolerance makes it no surprise that posts like this should show up on internet forums.

Now can we please stop judging huge numbers of people based on what your stereotype of them is? Thanks.
    Oh no, let's all have a pity party for the two largest religions and their followers in the world. Pew Pew
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

He represents a growing "reactionary" group in the Republican party. While it's a bit of a stretch to say he's no different from the Taliban, they DO have a fairly similar viewpoint of women and freedoms albeit the Taliban tends to act with guns while the far right still only act with their mouths. I really hope he resigns, because I'd hate to see him somehow win a congressional seat which wouldn't shock me with the way some parts of the country are today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    He represents a growing "reactionary" group in the Republican party. While it's a bit of a stretch to say he's no different from the Taliban, they DO have a fairly similar viewpoint of women and freedoms albeit the Taliban tends to act with guns while the far right still only act with their mouths. I really hope he resigns, because I'd hate to see him somehow win a congressional seat which wouldn't shock me with the way some parts of the country are today.
    This guy has been in Congress since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    This guy has been in Congress since 2001.
    Did I say they didn't exist back then? I would say that's when they really started to take root, back during Bush's Presidency. Hopefully this is just a temporary phase and more people around my age actually get out to vote so we can remove these extremists from politics. Unfortunately the money likes controllable idiots so they make it very difficult to defeat incumbents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandrius View Post

Actiually, the scriptures for both religions contain numerous texts about how women are not equal to men. I would also like to point out the both religions together have been rsponsible for more deaths than all human wars put together.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    I've heard that seniors and inner city blacks are the people most likely to be computer literate, so your argument makes perfect sense.
    I'm guessing that information is available to people in other places than just the internet. Is that really your best rebuttal?
    Last edited by Merkava; 2012-08-21 at 04:21 AM.

You generalize and stereotype extremely, which is no surprise considering the forum we are on. Due to this all your views are degraded to the point where it's just unintelligible gargle and hate speech. There is no point in engaging in a discussion with you; no matter how many facts are presented or how many times it's pointed out that you are being irrational you seek out the easier to troll responses to keep your precious thread alive.

If the people "debating" with you stepped back and saw that the only reason you spew forth all your infallible logic is to keep a thread alive in order to provide you with a false sense of popularity, I'm sure this thread would resume it's journey to the bottom of these boards where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flappy View Post
    You generalize and stereotype extremely, which is no surprise considering the forum we are on. Due to this all your views are degraded to the point where it's just unintelligible gargle and hate speech. There is no point in engaging in a discussion with you; no matter how many facts are presented or how many times it's pointed out that you are being irrational you seek out the easier to troll responses to keep your precious thread alive.

If the people "debating" with you stepped back and saw that the only reason you spew forth all your infallible logic is to keep a thread alive in order to provide you with a false sense of popularity, I'm sure this thread would resume it's journey to the bottom of these boards where it belongs.
    It's hard to know who you're talking to if you don't quote them. Was that intended for me?