Deleted

Computer stuck on restarting

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend, whose computer upgrade went wrong. So anyway here's the deal. Whenever he tries to start his brand new computer (specs below) it has no display singal, and the only thing that it does is that fan's go on, the power led light starts up, and then it restarts and the loop starts again. What we have done thus far:

-Tried with 1 RAM stick in all differents RAM slots
    -Checked and double checked that every wire is on their right spots and secure.
    -Tried starting with only one stick of RAM and the integrated GFX card
    -Tried resetting CMOS.
    -We are now out of ideas.

So the Specs:

-Asrock z77 pro3

-MSI 7850 Twin Frozr

-4GB Team Elite DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz

-Corsair 500W PSU

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there standoffs between the chassis and motherboard?
    If possible try some other ram as it's possible he just got some that is finicky with that particular board.
    If the above don't work remove the cpu and check for bent pins. (assuming they are fine you will have to clean off the cpu and reapply thermal compound.)

10+ Year Old Account
    What CPU?

Also, what are old parts, and what are new?
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-08-21 at 07:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-2...reboot-looping has some nice possible solutions for this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnor View Post
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-2...reboot-looping has some nice possible solutions for this
    Those look like fixes for actual windows corruption/failure. The issue the OP described seems more of a hardware issue, since it isn't even posting.

Only thing i can think of is:

1. Is everything properly powered ? e.g. Was there extra power for the GPU ? Is that connected ?

2. Maybe the 500W power is a bit too low ? If you can try out with a bigger power I would recommend that.

3. The power is shared to many different sets, don't use only one for everything since it can overload it.

Deleted
    The 500w psu is more then enough, no worries there.
    What you can try is take out ALL of your ram and be sure you have your speaker attached to your mobo. If its giving you an endless beep code now you know your motherboard is most likely not the case, if it doesn't do anything your mobo is either short circuiting or dead. Like lockblock already said, check if you used the spacers.

I am not sure about your mobo but check on the back if it has a USB port for updating your BIOS, this might help to, please tell us the CPU.
    Last edited by mmoc4b25e70ff5; 2012-08-21 at 09:02 AM.

lockblock's suggestions are correct.

Firstly, try 'breadboarding' the system. This entails removing the motherboard from its case and resting it on a non-conductive surface such as a wood or glass-top table (to ensure that it's not just shorting out on the case). Install a single stick of memory into the correct slot (from memory, ASRock recommend A2) along with the processor and attempt to get the 'board to POST using the onboard graphics (make sure that you have both the 24pin ATX and 8pin EPS power connectors plugged in). If this doesn't work, swap the memory over to the other module.

If you get no response with either module installed, remove the CPU from the socket and carefully inspect the pins underneath to make sure none are bent and no thermal compound has found its way in. If the pins look all OK, chances are the 'board itself is faulty - though if you have the time, you can swap in your own components (e.g. PSU, RAM, CPU) to help isolate the 'board as the faulty component.

Common problem I have after cleaning my computer out by individual part is I often don't install the ram back into the slots all the way, or leave an active USB storage drive with a backup OS on. Results in my computer rebooting mid-boot half way through the Windows 7 logo before the Windows login screen.

Deleted
    Sorry, the processor is Intel® Core™ i5-3570K

We'll try these suggestions later on today, I'll keep you guys updated