Poll: Would you rather work in a high paying job or one that made you happy?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Money Vs. Happiness

If you had to choose between a job that made you happy doing what you loved or a job that paid more but made you unhappy which would you choose?

3 choices:
    -I'd always take the higher paying job
    -I'd take the higher paying job only if the pay was significantly higher
    -I'd always take the job that made me happy

Deleted
    I'd take the higher paying job only if the pay was significantly higher easily. A few bucks more every month is not worth being unhappy for.

A few years ago I would've chosen the higher paying job, but having been down that road I cannot see myself ever doing that again unless I become a masochist. My mental health isn't negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by McSpriest View Post
    -I'd always take the job that made me happy
    I'd take this one.

I really enjoy my life and I live by this code that I don't do anything I don't like. YOLO !!1!1111!
    Hi

Quit and dont take either job, become a dopefiend since people who are dopefiends Love being one seeing that they give up everything.

Otherwise I'll take more money

Deleted
    Assuming the job that made you happy paid enough to live reasonably and without worries, I'd definitely choose that.

I voted #3, though I would've voted #2 if it was somehow so disproportionately much more rewarding that I could quit working entirely after doing it for 'a while'; though that's pretty unlikely, at least for someone with my qualifications, eh.

I was depressed through most of my school years (I had something like 40% attendance, which didn't help things since I missed tons of classes and so couldn't follow along with more advanced ones, so I was even more depressed about it...), but since I got into the job life (in a job that I like) I haven't had any issues with depression.

I wouldn't go back to that for almost anything.

[edit] this is all, of course, assuming that I could actually live happily off the pay from #3, which in my case is enitrely possible.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2012-08-20 at 09:08 PM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I would take #2 if the pay was significant enough where I could be happy enough through other venues (e.g. you don't work all the time so have fun on the weekends, at night, or take vacations) or if the pay was enough to save up for a little while and retire early.

As someone else stated, I would also take #3 if it allowed me to live comfortably enough.

Depends, Would I be happy and homeless or happy and earning a average wage?

If earning a average wage and being happy then i'd have to choose that.

Now that i've gotten into the study which i think i will make me happy then i dont have to choose! \o/ But i think i would take the job i was unhappy with if the pay was significantly higher compared to the work done

10+ Year Old Account
    How much more are we talking here? Like minimum wage vs 6-figure income? Or is it a smaller gap than that? I'd much rather work a job that made me happy and make a little less money, so long as the job that makes me happy pays enough for me to live semi-comfortably.

10+ Year Old Account
    take a job i was happy with.

im miserable now. id rather live with my mom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Take a job that would make me happy. Any day. This is why i'm going into physics. Really, i don't understand how some people simply don't have a career interest or passion in their lives. I take it for granted. I'd even go so far as to say that it's probably the most important thing in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Assuming the job that made you happy paid enough to live reasonably and without worries, I'd definitely choose that.
    Exactly.
    Working something that you love is like not working at all. You get to enjoy every moment. Although the passion tends to die with time.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-20 at 11:01 PM.

Deleted
    No. 3 for sure,

in fact, finding something you love and getting somebody to pay you to do it is one of life's biggest quests.

Assuming I could afford a comfortable life-style, I'm really not concerned about how much I earn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take the job if it the salary is significantly higher.

I'd take the higher paying job only if it was significantly higher, like made me a million/billionaire, because if I had that kind of money I could easily do what I love still. I don't see the point in having a job you don't like if it doesn't pay a boat load. If I had the super huge paying job, I could just "suffer" a few years retire from it and use the money for fun and supporting my own Toy or Video Game business, or be a writer or director.

Job that I enjoy over a job I hate. If the higher paying job by a significant amount was okay, and not all that hard or very difficult, I'd take that instead. That isn't reality though, so I'd rather take a lower-paying enjoyable job than a high-paying stressful job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life is not about money, But money makes life a lot easier.. I used to live in London and earned almost 60k a year (best year was 72k) and I hated it with a passion.. Never any weekends to myself and tbh it cost me my marriage.
    A couple of years ago I decided to quit, And I moved to a rural area in Dorset so my wages went from 60k>20k and I can honestly say I am happier now than I ever was in London.

I'd take the higher paying job only if the pay was significantly higher.