Thread: Asura - WTF?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly agree with you Ajoram. I'll be playing GW2, but I will never in a million years play an Asura. I just see no incentive (personal taste, here).
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

10+ Year Old Account
    All this hate for the Asura, only makes me more excited to have my Asura Warrior plowing through all the h8ers in WvW

Quaggan...hmmm...sounds like....

ANet likes pokemon. We're good.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-22 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    By ugly, do you mean drop dead sexy? I got a camera close-up with my beta Asura last night and was able to see the jaw/teeth models as well as the eyeball models through the character skin. Shit was so cute and savage looking.
    Have you been partaking in "bath salts" by any chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    All this hate for the Asura, only makes me more excited to have my Asura Warrior plowing through all the h8ers in WvW
    It's just people with the same old mindset that hate on the small race in every game. The interesting thing is though, Asura are one of the more popular races in GW2, so I don't think they'll get the "me too" reaction they're used to when they bring their attitude to the GW2 community.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 06:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skillym View Post
    Have you been partaking in "bath salts" by any chance?
    Bookahs don't know about my Asura's pointy shark teeth
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-08-22 at 08:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    To an Asura, you're ugly and ridiculous looking.
    yeah, right - /facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    It's just people with the same old mindset that hate on the small race in every game. The interesting thing is though, Asura are one of the more popular races in GW2, so I don't think they'll get the "me too" reaction they're used to when they bring their attitude to the GW2 community.
    Yeah... I absolutely hate gnomes in WoW, but that hate didn't really translate to Asura. I can see Asura as a serious race, rather than a "comedic relief" race.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o

Charr seem very non-humanoid to me. Sure, they've got two legs, two arms, and a head, but that's not all they have.
    Uh, Charr aren't humanoid? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/th...rrF_render.jpg

That, right there, is basically a posterboy for humanoids. You need to refresh on the definition of humanoids if you think they're not.

I also don't see the Sylvari as reskinned humans. Unless humans have leaves for hair... and ears... and eyebrows...
    Same for re-skinned, it looks like.

They're plants. Where are random branches protruding all over the place? Where are multiple roots instead of legs. Where are massive venus-flytrap mouths? Nowhere. Instead they have tits and leaves where humans have genitals. How imaginative and artistic. /rolls eyes
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-08-22 at 08:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I... personally... don't like the Asuras either... they are quite ugly but you can make some cutes ones... but still most of them are ugly like hell... if something like that appear before me at night i will get a heart attack >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Uh, Charr aren't humanoid? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/th...rrF_render.jpg

That, right there, is basically a definition of a humanoid. You need to refresh on the definition of humanoids if you think they're not.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanoid

A humanoid (/ˈhjuːmənɔɪd/; from English human and -oid "resembling") is something that has an appearance resembling a human being. The term first appeared in 1912 to refer to fossils which were morphologically similar to, but not identical with, those of the human skeleton
    This is why I say they're non-humanoid. Their skeleton is more similar to that of an upright cat. They have tails, their skulls are a different shape (you ever seen a cat's skull? Nothing like ours), their legs have reverse-joints, and they can very easily run on all fours (when they do, their limbs all seem to be the proper length for it, too - humans have legs longer than their arms, we can't travel well on all fours... it's why babies crawl on their knees). Not to mention the size of their neck relative to ours.

The only qualities Charr have that can be said to be "uniquely" human, and then only in the terms of the real world, are in walking upright and having opposable thumbs (how the hell does my computer not recognize "opposable" as a word?).

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 03:32 PM ----------

They're plants. Where are random branches protruding all over the place? Where are multiple roots instead of legs. Where are massive venus-flytrap mouths? Nowhere. Instead they have tits and leaves where humans have genitals. How imaginative and artistic. /rolls eyes
    You're not looking very hard, apparently. Several of their appearance options are way out there. They can't really go too far out there, because the entire backstory of the race is that they are made in mimicry of humans, so they're going to have similarities (especially in regards to the general shape/silhouette of the body), but they're definitely not reskinned humans. They even have completely unique in-game skeletons in their construction, so that their body structure resembles that of a plant that grew into a human shape.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 08:46 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ajoram View Post
    Even though all my friends keep telling me about how awesome GW2 is going to be, I have to facepalm everytime I see a screenshot of an Asura...

It has to be the most ugly, stupid-looking race I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.

As much as I would like to join my friends in GW2 I just can't get over it....
    I would say they where sexy in comparison to a Charr..

That, right there, is basically a posterboy for humanoids. You need to refresh on the definition of humanoids if you think they're not.

Haters gonna hate. *facepalm*
    Last edited by thunterman; 2012-08-22 at 08:36 PM.

That, right there, is basically a definition of a humanoid. You need to refresh on the definition of humanoids if you think they're not.

Then it comes down to you wanting to play as a plant, for the most part. Actually...I'd like to play as one too.

You realize no matter what happens, there's a "copy" somewhere else and someone will always want something different.
    I'm already playing as this in real life anyway.
    /cast BAD BREATH

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say, also, that while Asura are "humanoid" their proportions are extremely alien. They remind me of Greys in some ways. Ridiculously huge heads, skinny no-necks, long arms and very squat legs, with a pear-shaped body...

Deleted
    Exactly. It always amuses me that people don't understand that the reason MMO's have wildly varied races is so that hopefully everyone will find a race that appeals to them.
    Any MMO attracting people who enjoy playing such "wildly varied races" does not appeal to me. Even if I don't play one they are still in the world and bugging me.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should read the info thread and join us, you seem like a nice guy so you'll fit in well
    I'll probably check it out eventually, but my PC's on the low end of the minimum requirements spectrum for the game and between that, some other upcoming games I want to get, and new used car with higher insurance, it's just gonna have to wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoram View Post
    Any MMO attracting people who enjoy playing such "wildly varied races" does not appeal to me.
    Then why are you posting here?

Deleted
    Then why are you posting here?
    To discuss a devastating detail of a game, that I could probably have liked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truly, the only GW2 race that disappoints me is the Norn. I wish we'd gotten playable Kodan instead. :<

Deleted
    They look a bit like pugs (the dog)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    snip
    Next you'll be telling me this isn't a humanoid cow because its hunched forward. http://dotawars.ru/_tauren.jpg

This is a non-humanoid animal: http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetcal...cleanBeast.png

This is a humanoid animal: http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/f/fe/Charr_tracker.jpg

You can argue all you want, but on a gradation, Charr are a lot closer to humans than to beasts. Ergo my comment that the artists aren't willing to take risks with truly non-humanoid shapes. You know, like: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...d9/Tachidi.jpg

You're not looking very hard, apparently. Several of their appearance options are way out there. They can't really go too far out there, because the entire backstory of the race is that they are made in mimicry of humans
    Lore is immaterial, it can be written to fit whatever. The crux of the issue is that they're still humans who have leaves or (in 1(!!) case, mushroom) for hair.