Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpieboi View Post
    SWTOR had far more hype than this game does.

Hell, it even made it as a prime-time TV reference.
    Because Star Wars.

Also good point:

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    It depends in where that hype is coming from, if the community is to be believed its coming from all the old mmo gamers and The gaming community and particularly those who have played the betas have hyped it far more than any other game, if your talking pure advertisement etc then yes ToR had more. One has to only look at the number of posts in this sub forum and in ToR to see how much this game is being talked about in relation to ToR.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic

Threads: 6,406

Guild Wars 2

Threads: 2,938
    Last edited by Pickynerd; 2012-08-24 at 01:47 AM.

Deleted
    Not to shoot GW2 down, I hope its great, but these stats don't really represent anything meaningful do they? I mean, its Amazon, where the MoP Collector's Edition outsells the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Not to shoot GW2 down, I hope its great, but these stats don't really represent anything meaningful do they? I mean, its Amazon, where the MoP Collector's Edition outsells the standard.
    CE has items, you cannot download.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is smart. MoP coming in september to bring back all those who left to play Guild Wars . ( i pre-ordered gw2 )

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    To be fair the amazon charts are pretty screwed up. There's no way the MoP collector's edition is outselling the standard, clearly.
    Actually, I'd bet it is. Amazon is the best way to get a copy of the CE on release day without having to get off your ass and going to get it (and risk being seen!) A lot of players collect the CEs.

Anyways, Guild Wars 2 is also just around the corner...I'm sure there are a lot of last minute buyers, which adds up, as I'm pretty sure Amazon's sales trackings are daily or hourly or something like that, not based on the total number of copies sold.

Star Wars had a lot of mixed views from the beta, including a lot of hate and negative hype from people who had tried it. And rightly so the game had issues, I was fortunate enough to be invited to the closed beta of SWTOR and I enjoyed the game there, though I was able to look past the various issues I did have much higher expectations and the game wasnt up to scratch to what it needed to be for me a previous WoW user to be able to cross over in the long term, I bought the game and played it as a single player game then stopped.

Guild Wars 2 however has had a generally positive feedback from their beta, they have been much more closed with it and have not left forums open to breed hate or trolls, they have done a better job of things in that respect to be honest, and the game itself is in a much more polished and up to 2012 standards condition than SWTOR was.

SWTOR launched on the backfoot, it wasn't really finished and it needed a lot of features and fixes for it to be able to simply match what WoW was bringing, people compared it to releasing a Vanilla WoW as a 2011/2012 game. GW2 isn't really launching off of that backfoot, so is probably in a better situation, with that said when people reach endgame and the issues start creeping out of the woodwork, there is going to be a lot of backfire on the forums.

Even if Guild Wars 2 is amazing and fantastic, even if it lives up to the experiences I had in the stress test (which were all overwhelmingly positive), there has to be something wrong with it, and even if there isn't, some people will find something to complain about.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-08-24 at 02:30 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

People would make this thread about SWTOR. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwoe View Post
    I can see wanting an open beta for a game in which you have to shell out a subscription every month. However, GW2 is a one time purchase- you don't need to pay any more after that. It's the same price as a console game. I'm pretty sure most people have bought games like Assassin's Creed or CoD without it having an "open beta". Think of it in terms of that. If you buy it, play through it and don't like it- you've really only put down the same amount of money as that. And you own the game. You can log in whenever you feel like without putting out more money. The sheer amount of content you get with this game makes it worth the purchase price- even if you only play it for a few months.
    People keep saying that you only pay for the game and never have to spend any more. However, I can bet that ArenaNet doesn't see it that way. They expect players to spend money in their cash shop and, of course, pay for expansions. But it's really the cash shop that matters. If you all never spend a dime there, how does ArenaNet keep the game going?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Hot.

GW2 is the best game ever.

/fangirl
    +1
    /10 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    People keep saying that you only pay for the game and never have to spend any more. However, I can bet that ArenaNet doesn't see it that way. They expect players to spend money in their cash shop and, of course, pay for expansions. But it's really the cash shop that matters. If you all never spend a dime there, how does ArenaNet keep the game going?
    Uhh, lets see...they did it with GW1, the cash shop wasn't added until July 28, 2006. They only thing they need you to buy is the game and then expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    Of course some money will go in there. A portion of the population will be happy to pay the things over there. And then you pay expansion.

But you know what ? Thats fine because at least you pay for what you want at face value and dont feel force to spend 15 a month (90 per 6months) and HOPE to get something worth your money. That's the big difference, ANet needs to go get the cash while Blizzard is mostly just farming at this point. Would people really pay each wow patch at 90$ (if the game had no sub) ? because really that's what it comes down to (since WoW has also a cash shop for pets and mounts).
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-24 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    I find it more surprising people are actually buying MoP.

Still. A huge accomplishment congrats Anet. I'm very much looking forward to saturday.
    MOP will sell in the first day, more than GW2 will sell up until the point of MOP launch (my estimates 2.5M for GW2 in first month, 4.5M for MOP first day). The fact that people will buy MOP knowing that they also have to keep paying $15 per month afterwards should really put it in perspective.

4.5m MOP in the first day is a bit wishful thinking. Cataclysm sold what 3.5m? Which only just beat Wrath for sales, but now we have 3million less subscribers. Numbers don't add up.

I do think it will outsell Guild Wars 2 though.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    MOP will sell in the first day, more than GW2 will sell up until the point of MOP launch (my estimates 2.5M for GW2 in first month, 4.5M for MOP first day). The fact that people will buy MOP knowing that they also have to keep paying $15 per month afterwards should really put it in perspective.
    I think that's a bit optimistic for WoW considering these first day sales:

Vanilla 100k
    Burning Crusade 2.4 million
    WotLK 2.8 million
    Cataclysm 3.3 million

and the fact that at the end of Wrath they had 12 million subs.

But it's not a contest, both Blizz and ANet are going to have a great year!
    Valar morghulis

Again...let's keep things in perspective shall we?

TERA was top of the amazon list when it came out too.

Deleted
    Swtor was too one of the best selling games in Amazon. We'll see 2 months from now, that when usually ppl start dumping a new MMO. And dumping WILL happen, if for no other reason then because the game has no end game content so people will be bored at max level, happened in swtor, it will happen again.
    Last edited by mmoc213777db2f; 2012-09-03 at 06:58 AM.