10+ Year Old Account

Overclocking Memory

So i just tried to overclock my memory, and it failed.
    However i'm rather unsure if i'm doing it right.

So i heared the Vengeance modules have good overclockability and i was like.. hell i'll just try it. If it goes wrong theise things are nearly up for grabs anyway.

I put the voltage to 1.65V, since i read that'll support some decent overclocks and temperatures should not be a worry anyway.

Now i have this dropdown option of "Memory Frequency" reaching from.. somewhere like 1000MHz to as far as 3200MHz.
    Naturally at stock speeds this is set at 1600MHz for my ram. When i tried to set it to 1866MHz with 1.65V my computer wouldn't boot at all.
    Then i set it to 1800MHz, where my computer boots, but it isn't able to correctly load windows. And the very next option below 1800MHz is 1600MHz again. Stock speed. Which is fine with 1.5V.

Can anyone help this overclocking noob please?

You most likely need to increase your timings.
    Why are you trying to clock your RAM anyway? It gives pretty much no extra performance outside of benchmarks.

You can start trying to run 10-10-10-27 2T. If that works then you can start tighten them up a bit.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-08-23 at 11:27 AM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

1) Ivy Bridges officially accept memory voltages up to 1.5v, 1.65v goes already over spec and is not recommended. You need lower voltage RAM like 1.25v or 1.35v to give it a try.

2) Overvolting RAM can cause permanent damage and destroy the RAM controller (used to be on motherboard, with SB/IB processors it's in the processor itself) at somewhere around 1.8-1.9v. This can happen without warning and without any bluescreens or temperature meters to keep you in safe zone.

3) Overclocking RAM is totally pointless with SB/IB processors. It's been demonstrated in countless benchmarks that RAMs faster than 1600MHz CL9 will give less than 2% benefit to programs that use the memory to the max (like 3D rendering) and 0% benefit in game benchmarks.

edit:

2133MHz 9-11-10-27 1.5v RAM is best you can get for IB processors, and it costs about 2-3 times more than plain 1600MHz sticks.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-08-23 at 11:37 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Why are you trying to clock your RAM anyway? It gives pretty much no extra performance outside of benchmarks.
    Just trying, not really doing it with a goal. I won't really be dissapointed if i can't go over stock speeds afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    3) Overclocking RAM is totally pointless with SB/IB processors. It's been demonstrated in countless benchmarks that RAMs faster than 1600MHz CL9 will give less than 2% benefit to programs that use the memory to the max (like 3D rendering) and 0% benefit in game benchmarks.
    Really? Honestly if that's true I'll just stop trying right away.
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2012-08-23 at 11:37 AM.