Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be waiting, but not by choice. I've got exams I need to study for
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I'll be waiting, but not by choice. I've got exams I need to study for
    what?! It's called SACRIFICE!!! What's a little exam to stop you?!

besides

when in doubt choose C

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I am, certainly. Skip the launch issues, skip the lines, wait for the bad news to come out.....that and the fact that I'm broke until pay-day, which is the 28th!
    chuckle I can respect the broke part. I'd be in the same boat if I hadn't prepurchased back in April.

Myself I dont expect any particularly bad news. Probably some login server issues and a laggy tradeing post like we've seen off and on through the BWE's and ST's. Even with the overflow shards the crowding can be a bit anoying but I have my own way to deal with that. I've played alot of the starter areas so I'm not that concerned about rushing the 1-15 areas. I'll do what I've done in every launch day I've participated in. login as soon as the servers are up and rush through the first zone and then slow down to an enjoyable pace as I sit closer to the leading edge of the mass wave. This was vital in WoW, less so here but I'd rather still try and strike a balance between haveing enough players around for it ot be fun without haveing to deal with it being a mindless zergfest.

Who is John Galt?

I hope people don't miss out on anything. I do want some names, but don't care about when I start of if I get them. Puns using Charr names, and my FF names...that's about it.

Let's do some Norn ones...
    "The Norn Identity"
    "Norn to be Wild"
    "Nornography"

I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It's the bottleneck of every single online game, no way around it I guess.
    There are ways to design around it, but it generally requires more investment into infrastructure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the biggest bottleneck is going to be WvW, other than that I'm not too worried.
    Valar morghulis

Im not worried about any of the suggested issues.

Arenanet has been doing regular stress tests recently and is clearly putting some effort into getting the servers right for launch. I cant imagine that the 3 day headstart period would suffer from any major lag as it will be with this number of players that Arenanet has been testing. Release day could well be a different matter.

As for zones being crowded? GOOD. This isnt like other MMOs where you have to compete for kills. The more people in an area the more fun I find it to be. Thats personal opinion of course, but I cant imagine why people would be dreading the idea of running into other players in an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    nvm just pre-purchased it -.-
    guess ill see if the servers can handle the thousand orso headstarters
    no idea what race/proff i want tho as i havnt looked into it much
    Last edited by Achaman; 2012-08-23 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    I've taken time off work to play the launch of every game I've been really interested in for about the last 15 or so years. Even though some could have been smoother, they all make good memories. Happily, over the years I've developed a lot more patience...so even when hiccups occur, they don't stress me any more.

Regarding GW2 specifically - I've been interested since it was announced...but that ramped up over the last year...and even more so since the beta was announced last December...I'm not waiting another second more than I have to, I'll explode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leben View Post
    As for zones being crowded? GOOD. This isnt like other MMOs where you have to compete for kills. The more people in an area the more fun I find it to be. Thats personal opinion of course, but I cant imagine why people would be dreading the idea of running into other players in an MMO.
    I've noticed that over-crowded zones lead to events just being zerged down with no effort at all required for a gold medal. I personally don't enjoy that.

In BWE1/2, I only started enjoying myself only after Queensdale, when people started being filtered out by the higher level reqs.

So you can still hit a kind of "critical mass" of too many people, despite the lack of kill-stealing as a concern.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 07:10 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Even GW2 isn't designed for mass population.
    So I will not play until one or two weeks after release.

Why do people still accuse MMOs to be a bad experience at launch? I've basically played every major release since DAoC and besides server queues and small bugs that are usually hot fixed quickly, I've had no issues. AO being almost unplayable due to lag and WoW also having some lag issues are the only noteworthy things I remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porco View Post
    Even GW2 isn't designed for mass population.
    So I will not play until one or two weeks after release.
    To be fair, and add on to what I said earlier, it's true that later events in higher level zones kinda require a good-sized group. The "minimum mass" goes up a bit.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Why do people still accuse MMOs to be a bad experience at launch? I've basically played every major release since DAoC and besides server queues and small bugs that are usually hot fixed quickly, I've had no issues. AO being almost unplayable due to lag and WoW also having some lag issues are the only noteworthy things I remember.
    D3 is notorius, winning BFL awards for the year's worst launch.
    Valar morghulis

I don't think the headstart launch will be perfect. They are bringing up servers potentially 3 hours early so I at most I expect it to be reasonably stable a couple hours after midnight. There may be intermittent problems after that but seeing as it will be early morning for me, I don't think I will still be playing.

People always predict the worst but most MMO(especially in the recent years) launches I've seen have actually been relatively smooth. Plus well the launch rush is always fun time.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    D3 is notorius, winning BFL awards for the year's worst launch.
    I had personally very little troubles. Only thing I saw was having to wait about an hour to get in one night, thats all and I played a LOT during the launch. None of my friends had major issues either. I'm sure plenty of people did have worse troubles but lot of it was just hot air and haters hating...

I wish you all an error37-free launch day

I have no time to play an MMO right now, so I'm gonna wait and join in eventually, I hope.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."