Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i prefer gaming on consoles, but for social games like wow keyboard and mouse is best. Still if a new final fantasy came out every year i wouldnt even touch pc gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    Im over it. Seriously...just so over it.

N64 was my last console. I got into PC gaming around 1997 with Age of Empires. It's 2012 now, 15 years of PC gaming. I can say the first 10 years were amazing, but the past 5 years has been pretty bloody pathetic.

I thought hey..maybe it's because I haven't built a beast rig in awhile, maybe if I do that I'll get back into it more and start enjoying it. But nope. Built a new rig (3570k/GTX680 etc) bought a bunch of games, mainly all PC exclusives, tried a bunch of the free 2 play ones. And I just don't like enjoy any of them. Not to mention I am limited to what games I can buy or play because I refuse to buy half-arsed ports.

The Dark Souls port has pushed me over the edge tonight. I am fucking sick of this shit. I'm not going to force myself into trying to enjoy this stuff anymore. It's time I go back to consoles with that relaxed laid back feeling. And when a new game comes out I wont have to worry about if it's being ported properly. I'll just buy it and stick it in the fucking thing.

Yay, new gaming rig and all I'm using it for is online banking/emails/google/youtube.

So when's the next generation of consoles coming out in full force? I'm going back to them and I don't care about the advantages PC has, I'm so far gone and over dealing with this shit. The whole mouse+keyboard thing I use to always think "How could I ever play without it" But then I realized...wait a minute...I don't even fucking play FPS games anymore and keyboard + mouse fucking sucks in pretty much most games besides PC exclusives like WoW or SC2 etc.

So is it gaming in general thats been really lacking the past few years? Or is it just the constant shit I have to deal with and are limited with on the PC. "New game announced!" (Oh but PC release is after...and its gona be a direct shitty port, soz guys...you'll still have to pay full price for it anyways even if the experience you get is pretty much identical to the consoles because we're too lazy to make an actual PC version heheheh!!!)
    you arent alone OP .. I have a friend that just recently upgraded his computer and then realized all pc games are shit these days .. so he sold it to me and bought himself an xbox 360 + tablet .. and now he's happy.

It's time I go back to consoles with that relaxed laid back feeling. And when a new game comes out I wont have to worry about if it's being ported properly. I'll just buy it and stick it in the fucking thing.
    Yeah that worked really well with Skyrim on the PS3... no porting problems at all. [/irony]

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't hold your breath for a next gen console any time soon. It doesn't seem like Microsoft or Sony is in any rush to put anything together.

If I was you I would maybe spend more time exploring other games that you may not have picked up. Also, buy a gamepad

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about you but I got sucked back into portable gaming. I haven't owned one since the GBA but just recently picked up the Vita...can't put the damn thing down. Love it!

I've been away from console gaming for a long time though (playing WoW exclusively) so all these ports and stuff are brand new for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Gotta agree here, I really love racing games, but there really does seem to be a lack of them, Only really rFactor and NFSW caught my attention, and Drift city (Ashamed) when it was in it's infant days.

you do realise that a lot of console games come with more problems then PC games right?
    The NFS series have been milked so horribly by the gaming industry, underground and earlier was awesome but it just feels "meh" about the later ones.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2012-08-26 at 12:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    PC is the best way of gaming, there's no way you can say it's not.
    It's not, I just said it. As a PC gamer at that.

You do realise that your console FPS games were generated from a PC game, right? (Orginal Call of Duty was awesome before consoles got their hands on the franchise)
    The same with Need for Speed.

I've nothing against consoles, I enjoy playing them sometimes. I even have a 360 gamepad for my PC to play all the "terrible ports" which frankly look a whole lot better than on my console. Add to that the "patches" which fix a lot of the issues are a bonus which you don't get on consoles. I hate that consoles ruined Dragon Age with the abomination that is Dragon Age 2.

I could go on and on and on and on, but frankly once one person nerd rages about something that has clearly bugged them there's no real point in arguing as that person will believe only what they want to believe and what they have been thinking.

Honestly though, try to find a happy balance and don't hold your breath for next gen consoles, the manufacturers themselves can't get it right just yet. Just look at the Cryengine and DX developments.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    A few fun facts for you guys arguing pc vs console.

Most games that come out these days are not technical enough to NEED a beefy computer. Smart developers make games playable on older systems and often make them for consoles and then port them over, using graphics engines that are capable of adding a lot more eye candy to the game when you turn up settings on a PC. Exclusive titles that only appear only on a specific console, are not doing so because they could not be run on anything else, they are doing so because the company that owns the console rights also owns the rights to that title and intentionally decides to make it exclusive to try and take a bigger slice of the market share in forcing people to buy their console to play that game.

The reality is that most current computers can take any console game and up the graphics settings to a point that no console is currently capable of rendering. There aren't any games that are graphically superior on consoles, and that is a huge drawback for people who value advancements in gaming technology. The biggest problem with consoles right now is that the gap between PCs and consoles has never been bigger, and the console market has stagnated on the current gen consoles for far too long. So you have games that are coming out with nearly 10 year old specs that can't even push PC hardware that's a year old, and these people who swear by console gaming.

The fact of the matter is that innovation in games lies with advancements in hardware. If consoles didn't exist, and the gaming industry grew at the same rate as PC hardware industry, games would be roughly 35x better than they are right now, assuming they were being developed at the highest end of computing capability. But because the console market reaches a far bigger player base, and they've managed to stagnate for far longer they should, it's really hindered the development of quality titles and led to more reahashes and subpar sequels.

No one is going to tear your console away from you, but in the interest of moving gaming tech forward and breeding innovative game design, consoles are the worst possible choice for any consumer interested in that. It might be less of a hassle to buy a $300 box and plug a controller into it with your power cable and your S video into the back of your TV, but you are sacrificing quality for convenience.

Also, when the next Playstation and Xbox consoles come out, they will be close to the cost of a PC for the first 6-12 months after release, so GG to those who say consoles are much cheaper.

Support PC gaming if you care about better quality games.
    Also, this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking at steam store and cannot find a single PC exclusive game or game that isn't a shit port that interests me at all.

And don't tell me to buy an indie-game. I didn't buy a 680 to play a game that could run on a gameboy advance.
    So if there are many REALLY good indie games out there you wont buy any of them just because it doesn't challenge your computer?.........

Deleted
    To be fair from what ive read its not pc gaming that your tired of, you seem tired of gaming in general. Yes consoles have that great pick up and play thing down to the ground, but for those who actually care about the best graphics etc. they will always use a pc. If you hadn't noticed it is the consoles that are holding back gaming graphics, the next generation xbox will still be using a gpu that's 3 years old pc wise. As for your snobbery against indie-games a lot of those games are very well made and cheap to boot not to mention with your principle, you shouldn't even be playing the newest pc games because they don't fully utilise your components.

For anyone who gives the consoles are cheaper argument, if you hadn't noticed consoles are made to do one thing, play games, regardless of all the bells and whistles that have come about e.g. bing on xbox, they are in a sense a past generation computer.

Pcs are made to do allt sorts of tasks from gaming to office work to video rendering to photo editing and any other computer related task. Pcs even had HD resolutions years ago and they didn't need a label for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsparkle View Post
    You do realise that your console FPS games were generated from a PC game, right? (Orginal Call of Duty was awesome before consoles got their hands on the franchise)
    The same with Need for Speed.
    I could go on and on and on and on, but frankly once one person nerd rages about something that has clearly bugged them there's no real point in arguing as that person will believe only what they want to believe and what they have been thinking.

Honestly though, try to find a happy balance and don't hold your breath for next gen consoles, the manufacturers themselves can't get it right just yet. Just look at the Cryengine and DX developments.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 01:20 AM ----------

Also, this.
    Mate...did you not even read my post? I've been PC gaming for over 15 years. FIFTEEN+ YEARS. And I am saying PC game is just shit right now in MY OWN OPINION. You're replying to my thread as if I am some 14 year old child who thinks HALO was the first FPS game ever and that consoles are best.

Think about it for a minute...

1) I've been PC gaming for 15+ years.

2) The last console I owned was N64 and the Original Playstation.

3) I am saying PC gaming is shit atm, at least in the past 5 years it's gone downhill (I don't care for what reasons...it just has for me, I don't care if "developers catering to shitty consoles" has caused that to happen. It's happened and thats it....there has been very very few far and between PC enthusiast developers that have create good games for PC lately....the VAST majority being easily 98%+ of games in the past few years have ALL been console exclusive or delayed for PC release/really awful direct ports.

Now...the fact my PC is 5-10 times more powerful than the current generation consoles doesn't change the fact that the PC i have (3570k/GTX680 to keep it short) doesn't make it suddenly mean the PC is the more fun alternative. Because the games just aren't there. As I use to say when people use to fight about the N64 vs Playstation. The console is ONLY as good as the games it has made for it. PC has not been getting much love AT ALL in the past few years compared to the out-dated tech of the consoles even when the PC can handle things FARRRRRRRRRRRR better on FAAAAAAAARRRRRR better graphics....but....we...barely...have...any...games...that...even..take...advantage of that FACT.

Unlike in the late 90s, early 2000's we had plenty of games that took advantage of the fact....in the past few years 99% of games release haven't even taken advantage of a gaming PC's power besides a very select few titles, which isn't saying much when theres hundreds/thousands of games on consoles all playing at the same level of quality (compared to PC where it's a few really top tier godlike games with a shit pile of hundreds of crap ports)

Please understand I am not some random console loving moron who literally believes COD 4 was the first FPS ever in history. Hell...my first FPS game was on a PC, way before goldeneye. DOOM and that Wolfenstine FPS game or whatever it's called, Goldeneye on N64 came years after all of that. So I'm not even that "console moron" who thinks goldeneye started it. I know PC did this and that. But that is in the PAST now.

I just wish more people would understand what I am trying to say here....it seems many just don't...and automatically assume im attacking PCs and saying consoles are better assuming Im some random idiot who has never even been a PC gamer and is just here to troll or something like as if this is a youtube-comment section argument between two 14 year olds fighting over what version of the newest Call of Duty game is better on XBOX360 vs PS3.

Basically. I built my new gaming rig. Realised theres not many even games that I can take advantage of with this new powerful rig...because most games either dont make it to PC, or they're crap/average ports which in no way take advantage of PCs power besides maybe playing at 1080p. The vast majority of games I could be playing are only really steadily available on consoles. So it's making me have buyers remorse at the fact I spent money building a new PC when I could have just saved a lot of it and waited for the next generation of consoles.

I've learned my lesson now though. This PC I built will probably be the last one I ever do, unless something somehow in the future changes and PC goes back to having lots of exclusives/games being created for it and not missing out of certain titles or having to deal with shit ports that don't even take advantage of the PCs power.

Hopefully I've got my point across now -_-
    Last edited by Sussex; 2012-08-26 at 12:54 AM.

Can ignorant people like you please stop comment stuff like this. New console (New - new, i want it the first day) 300 euro's. A good pc (never buy the best of the best. not needed) 1200 euro's. Not talking about monitor / screen (since you also need to for console gaming). Difference €900,-. After like what, 15 games i make my money back. Games on consoles are very expensive in my eyes. And on pc just can just "get" them (although i still support games / companies i really like). Not to mention the benefits a pc gives. you can easily run a 1200 euro pc for 3 years without upgrading. so 5 games a year breaks it even.

Since you hardly hear people that ONLY have a console and not a pc besides that. good or not doesn't matter. i would still vote to get one sick pc and keep it clean and updated. trow in some new hardware every 3 years and you will be fine. And pc is just easier. downloading / listening music / social media etc etc. I would only buy a console to have "something on the side".

Can ignorant people like you please stop comment stuff like this.
    PC gaming for 15+ years and you call me ignorant on this issue?

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hevlex View Post
    Can ignorant people like you please stop comment stuff like this. New console (New - new, i want it the first day) 300 euro's. A good pc (never buy the best of the best. not needed) 1200 euro's. Not talking about monitor / screen (since you also need to for console gaming). Difference €900,-. After like what, 15 games i make my money back. Games on consoles are very expensive in my eyes. And on pc just can just "get" them (although i still support games / companies i really like). Not to mention the benefits a pc gives. you can easily run a 1200 euro pc for 3 years without upgrading. so 5 games a year breaks it even.
    Shamelesly copied from some wiki article "The PS3 was released in the UK & Ireland, the rest of Europe, and Australia & New Zealand on March 23, 2007 with a retail price of £425 €599" or double from what you were saying (back when it was new)

I combined console and pc gaming for a shile but found most console only games to be lacking the freedom you could find in pc games like baldurs gate, planescape torment, fallout and even fps games.

I must say that the Cod style of fps game seems to be the popular choice atm and I'm not the biggest fan of this linear progression thing they got going there are other games that are very much worth their money. Some recent-ish ones I realy liked are fallout 3, fallout new Vegas, Skyrim, Borderlands, Dragon Age, mass effect 2 &3, bioshock, Rage, left 4 dead 2, portal 1 & 2, death rally, the Witcher 2.

Also while i don't have much of a problem using steam or origin i must say that some of the games on these have given me real headaches to try and get running (think it was cod mw2 that I had to download completely via steam as it would not install from the cd and BF3 on origin was also an enormous pain to install)

I do have an xbox controller for my pc which I only use for the occasional FIFA game or both batman arkham games.

If there are games where I have doubts about their qualities, I will try and find a couple of reviews to see if a game is worth it or buy it when on sale

Strangely, 2013 looks to be a return to form for PC gaming. The past few years have been OK, but that's about it. Consoles in general have been holding back gaming as developers struggle to create games within the confines of two very different systems. Then when it finally arrives on PC, it's kind of like the sloppy seconds with a spit shine if we're lucky. Hell, even console owners are aware of it at this point, the games aren't ageing well, given the tech demos shown at E3 the past 2 years, all of the effects shown are available to use right now, but there's almost nothing making true use of DX 10, never mind 11.

If all goes to plan, Microsoft will no doubt be unveiling the Xbox 3 (whatever it's called) at E3 next year and look to be pushing Games for Windows REALLY hard. They're actually going to give PC gaming a kick up the ass and we might get a half-decent deal out of it... even if we have to suffer with GFWL.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-08-26 at 01:47 AM.

Deleted
    It honestly sounds like you've just become disinterested with games. I'd say have a break from them or just ditch them altogether and never come back. Pick up a different hobby and your life will no doubt come out better for it.

I know this but I still game myself as I still find them interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    PC gaming for 15+ years and you call me ignorant on this issue?

LOL.
    Not a mod here, but let's please just discuss the issue. No need to be rude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best thing to do at the moment is just to wait and see what games are out in the next year. If nothing seems to keep your interest, play on the console for now, wait for the new consoles to come out, though Microsoft and Sony aren't really showing any urgency and only Nintendo has more information about, so maybe look into that. Like said, just wait for a while, you have a nice gaming computer as it seems, so it's not like it will be useless for the next 2-3 years. So you should be fine if a game does catch your interest.

Honestly I didn't see anything in the op to suggest that a console is in any way a better option than a pc . . . it looks like you just don't like modern games.

Basically. I built my new gaming rig. Realised theres not many even games that I can take advantage of with this new powerful rig...because most games either dont make it to PC, or they're crap/average ports which in no way take advantage of PCs power besides maybe playing at 1080p.
    If the majority of the gaming market wasn't controlled by the console industry, then we would have much better quality games here in 2012 for PC. If you want to be pissed off at anyone, be pissed off at the console developers for not pushing game quality. You won't find many games that can really take advantage of your PC specs unless you plan on running @ insane resolution on ultra settings while recording video. This is something that most people understand before they set out to build a machine for gaming, not sure why you missed the memo.

But getting all pissed off about it won't change anything.