Thread: GW2 : Leveling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am actually levelling a little too fast now that I am crafting a lot. I sometimes get a full level from just crafting my materials that I get while doing quests.

Got 25 before I even had a chance to do the level 19-20 quests in 2nd zone after my starting one.

What is wrong with this generation....

Yes, you are missing something. Big time. This is not a "Questing" game. This is not a "Grinding" game. This is a "Play the damn game and have fun" game. Stop it with the "must hit max level asap!" mentality, thats not what this is about. There is no race. Heck, there isnt even a leveling curve.

Just explore, do the hearts, join in the dynamic events that happen around you, go do WvW pvp (massive XP and Karma rewards btw). You have a ton of stuff to do, just no one to hold your hand and drag you through a bullet-point presentation. Is thinking by yourself that hard? Are gamers nowdays really incapable of grasping the concept of PLAYING a GAME without quest markers and mob kill counters? This is sad....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adversarius View Post
    Renown Hearts. Once you complete one, you receive money in your mail (click the mail icon on the top left of your screen to get your mail.
    Zone completion > Renown Hearts, even.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Zone completion > Renown Hearts, even.
    To be honest I have crappy zone completion, we are talking sub 30%, and I still have no problems keeping up in levels with the zones. I do a good amount of WvW tho, since my server is currently kicking major ass :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    What is wrong with this generation....

Yes, you are missing something. Big time. This is not a "Questing" game. This is not a "Grinding" game. This is a "Play the damn game and have fun" game. Stop it with the "must hit max level asap!" mentality, thats not what this is about.
    For me, and a lot of other people, leveling and increasing our power IS what makes an MMO fun. PvP is fine for me, but isn't for everyone, and roaming around just to roam around is not what I call exciting or fun, personally-I didn't buy a hiking sim, afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    For me, and a lot of other people, leveling and increasing our power IS what makes an MMO fun. PvP is fine for me, but isn't for everyone, and roaming around just to roam around is not what I call exciting or fun, personally-I didn't buy a hiking sim, afterall.
    Then the game might not be for you, plain and simple. I don't play Super Mario expecting to manage soccer teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? Don't focus on the leveling. Ignore the leveling.

And you know what will happen while you're doing all these other things? You're gaining levels. A lot of them.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

OP, if you know no better - do map completion to 100% and all events as you go a long, gather all resources as you go along and then when you feel like it do personal story...

I was level 15 in starting area cause i was going from one event to another.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

GW2 highly rewards exploration: Mobs (who stay alive) give more and more bonus XP, you'll find new hidden events (some events start when talking to standard npcs), points of interest give a lot more xp then in other games too. Crafting is VERY rewarding for your leveling too, and don't forget the daylie achievements. These are done while playing the game. You need 10 mobs (mob-families) kill variety, crafting, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    GW2 highly rewards exploration: Mobs (who stay alive) give more and more bonus XP
    Wait... so the longer mobs survive from generation to death, the more XP they give? O_o

Am I missing something?
    Yes, design intent.

Personal Story and indeed the whole game isn't meant to be so linear.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-26 at 08:16 AM.

I don't understand why people are having XP problems. I've been going through, doing events, doing story quests, not even finishing all the hearts (cos some are super boring) and progressing just fine.

I've literally cleared all of the level 1-15 asuran starting zone with all of the golden hearts and skill points etc. at level 12 and am too low level to continue yay for mob grind time.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're having an issue leveling: You're doing it wrong. Get the WoW-mentality of how you're supposed to level out of your head. Explore the zone, do the heart quests, do the events, use gathering along with crafting for easy XP. You don't follow a quest line, you immerse yourself in what's going on in the zone and that's how you get your XP. I'm 23 atm and currently outleveling the area of the zone I'm in by one or two levels.

I don't get it people, you gotta be missing something. What I do: Storyline Quest if I got the good level. Everytime I run around, I go get the waypoint/point of interest/vista that is close to where I am running. I harvest only if I find in on my way too. If I don't get the needed level, I do a heart, and that only brings me to the right level. Someone saying he did all hearts and events at level 4? I'm level 10 and I haven't even explored half the starting zone...

Edit- Oh yeah I do the events I find while running to where I'm supposed for the storyline etc.
    Last edited by raddry; 2012-08-26 at 09:00 AM.

Your entire argument makes absolutely no sense. Thats like saying "I like cars, but I dont like trucks because what is fun for me is traveling".

Leveling is the end, not the mean. You dont level by leveling. You level by playing the game. You level by participating in events, by exploring, by completing map objectives (hearts/vistas/etc), by PvPing, etc. You will still level up and increase your power, and faster then in any other MMO too.

At the end of the day, what you are saying is not "i like leveling". What you are saying is "I like to grind mobs and follow quest markers". In which case my answer to you is "tough luck, wrong game" (altho you CAN exp up by grinding, but its not half as effective as the guy in the video above makes it sound).
    Last edited by Nikijih; 2012-08-26 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Wait... so the longer mobs survive from generation to death, the more XP they give? O_o
    exactly

I find that I'm levelling way too fast for the zones....

Quote Originally Posted by raddry View Post
    I don't get it people, you gotta be missing something. What I do: Storyline Quest if I got the good level. Everytime I run around, I go get the waypoint/point of interest/vista that is close to where I am running. I harvest only if I find in on my way too. If I don't get the needed level, I do a heart, and that only brings me to the right level. Someone saying he did all hearts and events at level 4? I'm level 10 and I haven't even explored half the starting zone...

Edit- Oh yeah I do the events I find while running to where I'm supposed for the storyline etc.
    Just to clear it out..
    You talk about SINGLE starting zone ?
    Or every starting zone for all races ?

I somehow get through 1-15 zone, and now im next. I'll give an example.
    Lv18 Human.
    I cleared/explored all map tuned for characters lv15-18. Even went bit to far and found some caves with badits .. no quest/event or anything, just boss at the end and chest. "I looked under every stone", talking to every NPC and so on in this segmets.
    For Lv18 there is just little city near quarry, with single heart and repeating Centaur attacks for village. There isnt much to explore.. You sit on your azz and wait for next attacks till you get level and can move on. I checked there every house, every corner of quarry to find something interesting.. but no.. just sit and grind centaurs.

When finaly got 19, you can move south to fishing village. You find there NOTHING.. only thing to do there is defending village from Kreitans attacks and then rescue kindnaped villagers. Heart fills itself during single attack.. I explored whole lake but it appears to be waste of time... you should just wait in village for next attacks.

I WISH i could explore for fun... but im constantly locked in those small subzones, which I explore 3 times around not because its fun but out of frustration looking for something more interesting to do! Every time I move to far Im surrounded by enemies 2 level higher than me..
    Last edited by Silvertaurus; 2012-08-26 at 07:55 PM.