Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GW2: most compelling PVE experience i have ever had.

hey guys,

so i've been playing since the minute servers came up. currently taking a break from gw2 to stretch my legs and get some breakfeast and figured i could post a small review.

so far i have only been doing PVE, in the time i have done 4 entire zone completions, 2 story mode dungeons and 3 world boss encounters and i need to say that this is the MOST fun i have every had doing pve. now to some people that may be a pretty big praise, but let me reiterate... I LOVE THE PVE IN THIS GAME. in any other conventional MMO i hate questing, but when you come up on a world mob that takes 20 minutes of some of the most intense combat i have ever experienced to solo, words don't describe the satisfaction that i feel.

*hidden events: if you think that you have seen everything in a zone, look a little closer, if something seems out of place or is just kinda hanging around, your missing something. earlier today i was in a tomb, while there i saw a statue. for RP sake i kneeled infront of the statue and low and behold the image of dwayna (A GOD) appeared and told me that of *spoiler that spoilered in the spoiler* from there doing a puzzle that she hinted at, that involved typing out a message to be said aloud, a boss spawned starting a large event.... exploration is amazing.

*smoothness of launch: while there have been some issues and bumps, i have to say this doesnt even feel like a launch, at least for me servers were absolutely stable and the game worked amazingly, fairly minor bugs, no major lag, no rage worthy issues. NOW IF ONLY THEY COULD FIX THE TRADING POST

anywho i am going to get back to the game, if your on the fence, check it out in full 1080p at www.twitch.tv/ruintv (shameless plug) i dont run commercials and will answer any questions you have.

I am just pissed off I didn't take a couple days off work to play this more, I am hooked. I enjoyed SWTORs levelling experience aswell but this is just so much more engaging.

Deleted
    This game feels like a Vanilla 2.0

The fact that what others do have an effect on your own is annoying. I was entering a cave when suddenly 8 guys ran past me, before I knew it there was an explosion, and the cave collapsed so I now cant get back. So I ended up with not shareing an experience at all, but others gameplay affected my experience negatively.

two things.

the games technically hasn't launched yet, we are currently in the headstart.

and really the standard "quests" from NPCs(aka not the storyline based quests or events) are rather... well they're crap.
    they literally boil down to "do this, this, or this 50 times then move over to the next quest-giver and rinse repeat ad nauseum".

if it weren't for the storyline quests to look forward to i really don't think I'd make it past lvl 10.
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-08-27 at 12:11 PM.

Deleted
    To me, it didn't feel any more special than any other MMO I played until now. I'm also kinda pissed that while you can affect the world, others can also do that and block you of contet. There was a cave that collapsed because some guys did an event and now I mcan enter it. Kinda sucks.

Also the events, while being dynamic, aren't something we haven't seen before. It's basically "kill x 50 numbers of times, collect y 100 number of times" Tbh, for something that should be dynamic it is very grindy. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by mmoc1f722ef552; 2012-08-27 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    two things.

the games technically hasn't launched yet, we are currently in the headstart.

and really the standard "quests" from NPCs(aka not the storyline based quests or events) are rather... well they're crap.
    they literally boil down to "do this, this, or this 50 times then move over to the next quest-giver and rinse repeat ad nauseum".

if it weren't for the storyline quests to look forward to i really don't think I'd make it past lvl 10.

I felt the same way.
    I think part of the issue is that for MMORPG gamers the grind and repeating style of questing off the main branch we are more aware of then a "new" player. That does not excuse them sucking balls, but experience could be part of the issue.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I felt the same way.
    I think part of the issue is that for MMORPG gamers the grind and repeating style of questing off the main branch we are more aware of then a "new" player. That does not excuse them sucking balls, but experience could be part of the issue.
    Every MMO has this. The difference between MMOs is how they dress it up. Guild Wars 2 does a better job than most (if not all) of hiding the "grind". That said, anyone who goes into the game looking for things to complain about, they'll find something. They'll be able to look at the event system and say "Aha! That's just repackaged questing!". But that attitude totally defeats the purpose of playing a role-playing game. So why do it in the first place?
    Last edited by Shostie; 2012-08-27 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    I felt the same way.
    i think its actually the massive gulf of quality between the two.

you have rather good storyline quests, then the good to ok events, and then you have the boring as hell grind quests.
    its like being forced to eat a bucket of slop between each bite of cheesecake.

Quote Originally Posted by Shostie View Post
    Every MMO has this. The difference between MMOs is how they dress it up. Guild Wars 2 does a better job than most (if not all) of hiding the "grind". That said, anyone who goes into the game looking for things to complain about, they'll find something. They'll be able to look at the event system and say "Aha! That's just repackaged questing!". But that attitude totally defeats the purpose of playing a role-playing game. So why do it in the first place?
    because it feels less like necessary grind and more like useless filler, to make an analogy GW2 is like DBZ they have some great episodes... which are wedged apart by "MEEEEEEEEEHAAAAA"(episodes where literally nothing happens other then "chargin' my attack").

if they had only done one or the other the game would be better for it, but having BOTH good storyline quests and the mindless filler breaks the experience like switching back and forth between the accelerator and the break in a car will give you a sore neck.

and the "questing" system is repackaged rep grinding.
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-08-27 at 12:29 PM.

Are you talking about hearts? They are not quests, they are more like rep grinding. And btw, you don't have to do them. The rewards they bring are minor. The main goal of hearts is to gently introduce the new players to the DE system as hearts will be usually located in areas with high DE frequency. If I am not mistaken, there will be very few hearts in higher level zones. The PvE in this game should be done exploratively, that is, you run around exploring the world, some stuff happens and you can take part. What I did yesterday was simply to fight centaurs — I run from one centaur camp to another one, helping the Seraf to take/keep them. Was great fun. Some healthy imagination makes the game very enjoyable, even if the only thing you do is run around.

The most interesting part for me personally is that is the first MMO game which actually feels like an MMO. The player is just another person in the vast world. Some guys here were complaining about cave ins which prevented them access to certain areas. Well, this is what I absolutely love about the game — PvE actually influences you — and this influence will become more and more dramatic in higher-level zones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shostie View Post
    Yes, definitely. Also bare in mind that GW2 gives you quite a top-heavy introduction to character development, whereas some classes in [just for example] WoW don't come into their own or get their awesomeness until sometimes max level, you are able to pick your skills very very early and will play similarly to a maxed level character from very early on. So whilst you are still levelling, there is less pressure to get to a certain level just to gain an ability that will drastically change your gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    Yes, definitely. Also bare in mind that GW2 gives you quite a top-heavy introduction to character development, whereas some classes in [just for example] WoW don't come into their own or get their awesomeness until sometimes max level, you are able to pick your skills very very early and will play similarly to a maxed level character from very early on. So whilst you are still levelling, there is less pressure to get to a certain level just to gain an ability that will drastically change your gameplay.
    On the flip side there is also the realisation that by level 10 you have most of your abilities excluding utilities. i had my warrior skills topped up within a few levels. sometimes its great to build yourself up to that big spell, i enjoy looking ahead to what i could get when i ding my next level.
    they both have merits i just personally feel that gaining skills was done too quickly in gw and i going from level 12-15 offered no difference to how i played my warrior because id already bagged my repertoire of skills.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-27 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Are you talking about hearts? They are not quests, they are more like rep grinding.
    My guess is you are saying this because a bar fills up instead of a number ticks to indicate progress. I think the analogy is rather poor.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    To me, it didn't feel any more special than any other MMO I played until now. I'm also kinda pissed that while you can affect the world, others can also do that and block you of contet. There was a cave that collapsed because some guys did an event and now I mcan enter it. Kinda sucks.

Also the events, while being dynamic, aren't something we haven't seen before. It's basically "kill x 50 numbers of times, collect y 100 number of times" Tbh, for something that should be dynamic it is very grindy. But that's just my opinion.
    (DE1) Collect 20 golem parts. Give to NPC. NPC creates golems. Golems are H.A.Z.M.A.T. golems. They run off. I follow. They go into the reactor. They start cleaning, and a bigger golem comes and starts cleaning (DE2). Follow him around protecting him. Goes all around, gets to the northern most part, continues cleaning in one spot (DE3). Protect him for long enough. He explodes (DE4) and turns into a Fire Elemental who kills everyone a lot.

The different for me is how it's shown and what happens next. I'm almost positive if I didn't do that DE1, the DE2 still would have happened. However, the other golems wouldn't have been there helping kill mobs, and I wouldn't have found the fun Fire Elemental DE chain.

There have been plenty of collection quests, but not so many as to be sick of them (for me). I've been talking to and following NPCs after events and quests and cool stuff happens.

I'm not saying it's amazing, but it can be really interesting and fun. There really is a lot to see and just experience.

Any collection quest I've done in any other game has never turned out like that one, lol. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    On the flip side there is also the realisation that by level 10 you have most of your abilities excluding utilities. i had my warrior skills topped up within a few levels. sometimes its great to build yourself up to that big spell, i enjoy looking ahead to what i could get when i ding my next level.
    they both have merits i just personally feel that gaining skills was done too quickly in gw and i going from level 12-15 offered no difference to how i played my warrior because id already bagged my repertoire of skills.
    I think the idea here is...at least half of the skills you gain in other MMOs from the first 2/3 of the game aren't used later. As an avid WoW player, I can attest to this. In Burning Crusade, I was an Ele Shaman...LB spam all day. The idea is you're given skills to utilize, and you have to figure out the best way to adapt and use them as you level...I personally find that more fun than just scrapping a skill. Additionally, you get more utility skills too, for different situations, which are all useful and preference.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-27 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    My guess is you are saying this because a bar fills up instead of a number ticks to indicate progress. I think the analogy is rather poor.
    No, I am saying this because what heart completion does for you is to unlock the items sold at karma vendors (who are heart NPCs). ANet themselves call it 'gaining renown' aka. rep grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    No, I am saying this because what heart completion does for you is to unlock the items sold at karma vendors (who are heart NPCs). ANet themselves call it 'gaining renown' aka. rep grinding.
    Shrug it sure feels different than rep grinding. If anything, I would say it's more like phasing since that unlocks access to different things like vendors. Ultimately it is different than what WoW has and it definitely feels different. I think the problem is that t's rather constricting to try and force everything into that box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft
    I think the idea here is...at least half of the skills you gain in other MMOs from the first 2/3 of the game aren't used later. As an avid WoW player, I can attest to this. In Burning Crusade, I was an Ele Shaman...LB spam all day. The idea is you're given skills to utilize, and you have to figure out the best way to adapt and use them as you level...I personally find that more fun than just scrapping a skill. Additionally, you get more utility skills too, for different situations, which are all useful and preference.
    yup like i say both have merits, i just think you can bag your skills too soon. wow has a ton more skills but like you say half the time thy are redundantdepending on spec. however one could say the same for gw2 i have no plans for using certain weapon sets so therefore those skillls will be redundant. i dont think either are the right route its all preference.

Deleted
    i think its actually the massive gulf of quality between the two.

you have rather good storyline quests, then the good to ok events, and then you have the boring as hell grind quests.
    its like being forced to eat a bucket of slop between each bite of cheesecake.
    It's probably more of a personal playstyle thing. For me the dynamic events and hearts are awesome, I'm not tied down to a specific area and I can go and explore while stumbling across these different things to do. I rarely go out of my way to travel long distances specifically to complete an event or heart.

Whereas personal story quests feel too scripted and not as 'MMO like' to me, since for the most part I'm either doing them on my own or in a small party. Although I like a bit of story, I feel like it's paced quite nicely between levels for me.

At the end of the day, they can't cater the game for everyone and I feel like someone who likes a more linear directed experience may be a little disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    yup like i say both have merits, i just think you can bag your skills too soon. wow has a ton more skills but like you say half the time thy are redundantdepending on spec. however one could say the same for gw2 i have no plans for using certain weapon sets so therefore those skillls will be redundant. i dont think either are the right route its all preference.
    There's actually a difference. Every weapon set in GW2 is useful and can be used, and is also a good. In other games, the skills are actually bad and inefficient. The idea is preference vs. inefficiency due to the skill lacking. In GW2, a skill may be lacking in a certain situation, but in other games, it's just not viable at all because it's flat out bad now. I prefer certain weapon sets on my guardian, but actually like them all, and don't feel one is more powerful than the other. I also found torch very useful for lighting up dark places, hehe.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-08-27 at 01:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    There's actually a difference. Every weapon set in GW2 is useful and can be used, and is also a good. In other games, the skills are actually bad and inefficient. The idea is preference vs. inefficiency due to the skill lacking. In GW2, a skill may be lacking in a certain situation, but in other games, it's just not viable at all because it's flat out bad now. I prefer certain weapon sets on my guardian, but actually like them all, and don't feel one is more powerful than the other. I also found torch very useful for lighting up dark places, hehe.
    true rockbiter on my shaman being a prime example of a dudd skill. I need more time with the gw2 skill system before i get 2to use its full potential
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-27 at 01:27 PM.