Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    As a long term mmo player having played wow, rift, swtor, tera and war, I tried gw2 for the first time on sat. I had previously heard nothing about the game and had not bee following the beta. I must say I found the game refreshing to say the least.

The graphics are absolutely amazing, questing is very engaging and is never the same these are all great features, but in my opinion the best feature is the pvp.

Combat feels really fluid and skill full, if you dodge mobs or players attack it feels really rewarding. Wvwvw is some of the most entertaining pvp I've ever done.

I play a Mesmer and I have to say I'm I love with the profession it really is different from anything I've played before.

My advice to you is to ignore the trolls and fan boys and play the game to get your own opinion.

Laerath

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Allow me to clarify my review. I don't want to be guided the entire time, but this game isn't making things easy on new players. Discovery is alright, but finding out where best to quest and not getting destroyed by weird monsters 4 levels higher than you just isn't all that fun. Exploration is nice, but for those that want it, there's little guidance. This also carries over to other stuff, like how some gameplay mechanics work, or what the Mists are. Or how to get to another starting zone quickly.
    This is all easy if you're like us and check the forums 1 year before the game even comes out, but for less experienced players, it can be quite challenging.
    I really don't understand..if you open the map is full of Hearts..if you hover over a heart it say the level. But even if you get lost and fight some high level monsters what's the deal?it is fun for me!After I finished the Queensdale map I went to the Norn place..I left the sity from the south and there was a level 44 mob that pawned me!so what?I prefer this 1000% than a linear - zygor type of questing...I remember in wow when I started I was questing in elwyn forest and I went south to the river...look to the other side a dark forest..I say I am gonna look what is there and found out a big spider 10 levels more than me and scared me out and killed me!But it was fun!this is what it means exploration...to be honest I would like GW2 to be less handholding..everything you need to discover is already pointed on your map..
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-27 at 09:38 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

OP,the problem with GW2 is that it breaks some norms in the industry.As you see most of the cons of the game are one mans garbage another ones treasure.The only way to be sure is to play it yourself.

What i like in the game is the feel it gives...i spend 1 hour yesterday learning all the weapon skils and 1 hour the day before exploring the major Norn(a race in the game)city.
    Iam a guy that likes the small stuf...and i keep seeing them in the game and since i play a warrior norn(literary a half giant dude :P )the moment i discovered the two handed hammer was a paradise and the shotgun but the hammer...you actually feel the weight :P

anyway the game is a bit weird because there is no hand holding BUT a seasoned MMO player can pass that very easily.The thing is that since the opinios are so much alike and at the same time miles apart the only way to be sure is to play it yourself.I cant tell you if the game is good or bad because,i can tell you that i like it...unless we reach max level and actually see the max level zones we wont be able to be presise on what to do....sonsidering the trait system and the skill points the game gives the feel of a very complicated game.Which is a good thing for me

so two play through things

I played last night... they said they wanted to take the grind out of the game but after almost 3 hours of gameplay i'm barely level 7 and it felt like it took forever to get there.

I'm a norn thief.. I really wanted to look like the kingslayer in the witcher 2 because well... I could.

It's alright so far. I see it as Guild Wars 1 with a jump button so far. Thought it was going to be a lot better. Going to try leveling something else today to see how it feels.

---------

So I tried leveling something else and it was the exact same. It may not seem streamlined but it felt that way. The events are kind of eh at low level.... Why am I getting bunny feed, why am I collecting meat off of a buffalo looking thing? It was the same events over and over again and it feels like that is the only way to really gain any experience.

I'm still going to give this a shot but so far i'm not sold all of the way for it being that GREAT AWESOME GAME. Rift for me was more fun than this was I got to like level 42 in that game and gave up.

Hopefully something changes as I don't want to spend 5 years leveling to cap as I only have around 2 hours a day to play if that. I could be level 50 or 60 by now in WoW and I just barely broke level 10 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    I'll focus on the negative:
    *The quests and events aren't as unique as they appear at first glance. After about level 15 they all start repeating at it gets really boring really fast.
    *There is no "endgame" in the traditional MMORPG sense of the word. There is no gear progression etc.
    *Takes homogenisation to whole new level. Essentially all the classes are the same.
    I'd put the lack of gear progression into the positive side. Plus the traditional mmorpg endgame...sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by budong View Post
    I'd put the lack of gear progression into the positive side. Plus the traditional mmorpg endgame...sucks.
    intelligent unbiased feedback...this thread iis going well dont spoil it

Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

read it and form an opinion of yourself....
    Why are ppl to lazy to read?
    How does a thread that tells me everything about the game help me? What I'm looking for is peoples opinions of the game not a run down of every feature of the game...I want to know what people like and don't like. Next time you should do more then just link a thread and read the thread....

It's not a perfect game for sure but imo the pros outweigh the cons (so far at least). I really enjoy the way I am rewarded for exploration and how there is a clear visual way that the game tracks all my waypoints, vistas, points of interest etc. I also like many people really am enjoying the crafting system. The combat is good, there are a lot of skills and battles with monsters that are my level are over in what seems like a reasonable amount of time. Also the dynamic events really make it seem like there is always something going on, it is hard to get bored so far.

The only things I don't like about the game are that the voice acting isn't very good, the way that I am constantly put in the overflow server and the way that as my personal story goes, I am unable to be the "bad" guy. This may change as I go obviously (I'm only level 17) but for now even though I am allowed to make decisions in my story I always feel that I am doing things for the good of the kingdom or whatever.
    Last edited by TheRedSea; 2012-08-27 at 01:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedSea View Post
    The only things I don't like about the game are that the voice acting isn't very good, the way that I am constantly put in the overflow server and the way that as my personal story goes, I am unable to be the "bad" guy. This may change as I go obviously (I'm only level 17) but for now even though I am allowed to make decisions in my story I always feel that I am doing things for the good of the kingdom or whatever.
    I can understand the annoyance, but I'm afraid it won't get better. Arenanet has stated that they didn't want to provide "evil" options because then the story wouldn't make sense. They want you to be the hero, not the villain or anti-hero.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

For the zone story.... can you actually experience it linearly? Is it possible to know what is going on and following the events in a chronological fashion rather than bits and pieces or mixed up dynamic events. Story isn't everything but it is important to some players. I loremastered everything in wow, every damn quest. I wouldn't join the multiplayer quests like the wrathgate unless I start it, I want to see all of it.

With random bits of the story sprouting around like mushrooms around the zone and needing to search for specific NPCs to get some specific background, what can be done to experience the story? Camp in certain areas that events are supposed to happen so you can see all of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hatsune View Post
    For the zone story.... can you actually experience it linearly? Is it possible to know what is going on and following the events in a chronological fashion rather than bits and pieces or mixed up dynamic events. Story isn't everything but it is important to some players. I loremastered everything in wow, every damn quest. I wouldn't join the multiplayer quests like the wrathgate unless I start it, I want to see all of it.
    I don't think there's an overarching zone-story. You've got all this slice-of-life stories spread around the hearts (some which are slightly connected) and then there are the Dynamic Events which are stories on their own, some chaining into each other and some connected to the hearts.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    OK, the good the bad and the ok IN MY OPINION I DONT CARE IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH ME, OK??? OK.

GOOD
    Rewards for completing 100% of the zone you're in
    You can do whatever you want to level up
    PvP is fun, better then WoW's pvp imo
    Karma vendors when quests are complete, they're nice, even though sometimes they sell shitty items
    Increased XP etc based on your performance during the quest

BAD
    The races, why so few of them, 3 of the 5 races are not even that interesting
    Extremly boring story quests
    Quests feel waaay easier than i expected,
    Mobs barely give any XP, wich can be frustrating when you've done the quests for your level in your current area
    No dungeons before lvl 30, wtf???

OK
    Fun combat system, but nothing amazing
    Character customization
    long queues for WvWvWvWvWvWvWvWvWvWvWvWvWvW
    Last edited by mmoc15645c0f5b; 2012-08-27 at 04:05 PM.

I have to say that im having fun with the game, since i set foot into it i was for coupe hours just doing objectives that where popping here and there, i wanted to stay focus on my tasks like the story mission or going into craft tables to level then but most of the times i get lost into this massive fight that is in the world, for that i say that GW2 delivers what he's here to do, entertain the player with dynamic events and feel that you aren't on a tunnel progression style that you need to do for game play to evolve.

I tried PVP but was overwhelmed and for now its a zerg fest, i find normal cause there's strategy there that most people still need to know, only with time it will be more focused, BUT most important everyone is max level, how awesome is that, same happens when you go into low level areas, game brings you down to area level.

Spells and abilities are interesting, you gain them by fighting, same ability can do 3 different things for example, changing weapons gives different abilities and so on, gives a nice dynamic combat and for me the most important think is you cast while moving, and also you have dodge., that's why TSW is another title i love to play.

Now, what GW2 doesn't offer for what i understood, end game raiding by tier content, it holds your hand a little but after that its your game play who define success, so maybe wont appeal to many people, i play GW2 for what it is, offers dynamic PVE with objectives popping here and there while you exploring the world, crafting professions are very good and love the discover ability in them, PVP is brutal and need more time invested in it, graphic wise is not my cup of tea but its good enough for the current market, and have room to improve, the game will get worse before it gets better as i like to think, so my expectations can be on the ground, but as a B2P model its defo worth the price for me, and i will play it along with other sub base games.

What could be better? MObs could give more xp so you always looking for events and dont stand around just killing stuff for fun, but then again you could do that just to gain more abilities, races could be better develop and i already saw equal objectives in diferent race areas with exacly same mechanics, the world sometimes feels too big for what it delivers and in some areas nothing happens when to few people are there, nodes and gathering maths could have faster respawn, main cities can become too big when you found all points of interest and save poins and so on, graphic wise in large fights can be confusing as you cant see exacly what your doing with so many spell effects on the screen.

Most of what GW2 offers is not new, theres already titles on the market who offer some mechanics, so i cant say its ground breaking, but sure its good and refine enough to deliver them properly.

I really want this game to succeed so the market can continue to move to more and more interesting titles and mechanics, we as players say thank you
    Last edited by konishiwa; 2012-08-27 at 05:24 PM.