Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2 game impressions - doesn't look like it's going to replace wow

Seems Arenanet decided to take every single aspect of wow (or any other mmorpg for that matter) and turn it around.
    Let me tell you, a change is not always a good thing.

No holy trinity means nobody can actually heal or tank proper, which means the bosses are really dumb or static or both.

When a lot of ppl are taking down a champion it doesn't feel like a real team effort, it's just a lot of ppl each doing their own thing.

Dngn bosses and champions (while lvling and at lvl80), drop worst gear then most ppl have, so there is no real incentive of doing them.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of profit in crafting of any kind and in trading, since its a cross server market it's just too big & the profit margins are just too small if any. While considering the fact that moving from place to place costs quite a lot, i guess most ppl will be quite poor most of the time.

Because everything scales down in pve and up in pvp there isn't any sense of progression.

The concept of abilities being derived from the kind of weapons you use is innovative BUT ends up being quite boring, since if i'm using a specific weapon combination I'm doing the exact same thing at lvl1 and at lvl80

WvWvW is nice and big but the servers switch too often (its like building a house living in it for a week then start building a new one)

Since there is no proper end content and no raiding, being in a guild is nice but doesn't really serve a real purpose other then chatting and doing a dngn here and there (even though its called GUILD wars)

Started playing GW2 with an open mind, tried not to compere it to WoW, but there are a lot more bad elements in GW2 then good.
    Been playing WoW for 6 years and been waiting for the next big thing to replace it, because let's admit it it's getting old, but GW2 is not going to be it.

Skyrim didn't replace wow either but damn it was awesome and I still play it.

So whats your point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay an other clone thread, with same things repeated and copypasted

Lock this thread, at least this one

Deleted
    Blizzard have had 7+ years to perfect World of Warcraft, you don't expect guild wars 2 to beat WoW in 3 weeks do you?

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Skyrim didn't replace wow either but damn it was awesome and I still play it.

So whats your point?
    Exactly. It would be like people telling me I can't play Sins of a Solar Empire AND Starcraft.

Deleted
    Pathetic flame-baiter is pathetic.

Deleted
    While i agree with a good number of your observations i don't think GW2 was ever envisaged to challenege WoW as such.

There's no compelling reason to continue to play GW2 after you've reached 80/completed the majority of map areas unless your a fan of the PvP. However since there's not an ongoing subscription ANet are under no obligation to provide you with prolonged entertainment.

If you've played it for more than 50 hours you've probably got your money's worth and can go on your merry way.

It was never meant to replace WoW, or any other MMO for that matter. It's something to play for fun or simply when you get bored of everything else.

The people that play it exclusively will be the ones with virtually inexhaustible amounts of currency and swag, so that's their incentive, mine is simply to play it when I'm taking a break from any other thing I might be doing at the time. The reason for this is the combat that simply doesn't cut it, action-style combat my ass.

Deleted
    The game is not trying to replace WoW, even the devs themselves have stated this.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread wont go good places...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshard30 View Post
    No holy trinity means nobody can actually heal or tank proper, which means the bosses are really dumb or static or both.
    Quit reading right there.

Try playing the game first.

Deleted
    You mean it doesn't replace wow for you, ok thats cool, each to their own. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is the opposite to yours, it has very much replaced wow for me. Not sure why you needed to make a thread to tell everyone though.
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2012-09-10 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, very little criticism here that holds up to what the game actually is like. Please play more. Also, I can't wait for 2 week wvwvw matches.

You're missing the point.
    Replacing WoW doesn't mean It's a wow clone.
    It's mean something else to play instead of playing WoW.
    And because of the issues I've stated above, it's not going to be a good replacement.

Deleted
    even though its called GUILD wars)
    It's not called Guild Wars(2) because players get to fight as guilds; it's named so because in the first game different guilds of NPC's fought against each other (mostly charr and human as far as I'm aware). At least I think that's the story, anyone feel free to correct me

But yeah, it isn't going to replace WoW.

The holy trinity is still kind of around because I still see people asking for guardians because they can heal a bit more as aoe or something and they specify as healer but overrall I think that the fact that people have to pay attention to the animations of their foe and dodge whenever necessary is rather good. Granted the dungeon bosses aren't quite as challenging in the same sense but they're still easy to wipe on if people don't pay attention.

I see the progression in the game as how far you have world completion, whether or not you have a legendary item (I haven't gotten any yet but eventually I hope I will :P) and the achievement points acquired.

OT: After 80 there's no real reason to play seeing as there's no sub fee but I will keep going to get 100% world completion and at least all puzzles in-game.
    Last edited by mmocaf5892d726; 2012-09-10 at 03:42 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Started playing GW2 with an open mind, tried not to compere it to WoW, but there are a lot more bad elements in GW2 then good.
    Been playing WoW for 6 years and been waiting for the next big thing to replace it, because let's admit it it's getting old, but GW2 is not going to be it.
    Just ask around. There are literally millions of people who stopped playing that game. Perhaps they can give you some ideas on what else to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing was ever going to “replace” WoW. Nothing replaces anything. Heck, Skyrim didn’t even replace Oblivion. And I disagree with most of your statements

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no way you can conclude the bosses will be dumb because there's no tanks.
    Actually, it is the opposite, because all players need to understand how aggro works, when to help another player, etc.

But asking your question, the game won't replace WoW because it doesn't have all the tricks to addict people like WoW does. But is it better than WoW? In every single aspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Pathetic flame-baiter is pathetic.
    Maybe not pathetic, per se, but certainly transparent.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Why does Guild Wars 2 have to replace ANYTHING ?!? You CAN and are ALLOWED to play more than one game at the time - even 2 or more MMO´s.

I play both, and I like both - its crazy, huh ?