Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I agree that comparisons with P2P's just don't really work because GW2 is a B2P. They don't expect you to keep paying to keep playing. So there is much less pressure all round. Personally I ponder how they can maintain the game's growth without P2P or invasive MT but they appear to have done it before with GW so maybe it will be the same with GW2.

They've delivered a hell of a lot of game here. As much or more than we see in P2P's at launch. That is quite an achievement for a B2P and a pretty encouraging sign for the entire genre, in my opinion.
    I think it just shows how much a sub fee ends up padding a developers bottom line, rather than generating new content.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

I agree that comparisons with P2P's just don't really work because GW2 is a B2P. They don't expect you to keep paying to keep playing. So there is much less pressure all round. Personally I ponder how they can maintain the game's growth without P2P or invasive MT but they appear to have done it before with GW so maybe it will be the same with GW2.

They've delivered a hell of a lot of game here. As much or more than we see in P2P's at launch. That is quite an achievement for a B2P and a pretty encouraging sign for the entire genre, in my opinion.
    I have to agree I think wow will be the last sub based MMO, the biggest issue for wow is games like dota 2, apparently people expect it to be bigger then lol.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    No where did I say any of that, nor am I arguing that it's a bad game. I was simply pointing out the fanboyism in another poster's post. You're unfortunately jumping on the same bandwagon twisting words and making things up.

I own GW2. I like the game.
    Having 3k+ posts on the forums and still fucking up the rules... amazing, it's funny when someone else just mention the word "fanboy" they receive banhammer, you have called fanboys many times already in this thread and no post marked as infracted... great moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    Having 3k+ posts on the forums and still fucking up the rules... amazing, it's funny when someone else just mention the word "fanboy" they receive banhammer, you have called fanboys many times already in this thread and no post marked as infracted... great moderators.
    post count means nothing.

Deleted
    Brilliant game iv loved every minute so far. After playing WoW for almost 7 years and trying most major MMO releases in that time this game is the only one capable of keeping me away from WoW so far. I just hope the end game is decent enough to keep people interested.

I watched a video of some guys crafting the legendary 2h weapons (look soooo frikkin awesome) and they said it took them around 200 hours in total to make the weapons, if that's accurate then im going to be busy for a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    Then the game absolutely has to appeal enough to make the people who do blow through content (lets be honest, a large portion) invested and interested enough to wanna come back for each of GW2's xpacs. It's more similar in concept to Skyrim, yes, but very different in that Elder Scrolls fans don't expect a shiney new Elder Scrolls game so frequently every 6 months. That's suddently a much larger investment for them to keep up with their beloved game series. It turns into more of a monthly sub as opposed to a one time 60 dollar investment every 4 or so years.

And that's where the differences come in. If people are finding they're cleverly being conned into what's breaking down into yet another monthly fee for what you described as Skyrim or another single player rpg, yet aren't receiving the raiding end game experience they're used to in an MMO, they may see through the gimmick. GW2 has to walk the line of drawing in people and keeping them captivated for years at a time but in a casual pick up and play fashion. With no real stat progression or sense of character empowerment between that and downscaling, that may be a very difficult prospect for them. We'll just have to wait and see.
    You do realize the game is called guild wars 2 right? I shouldn't have to explain because I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

I just love it.20 minutes ago there was some event going on and People just ignored it and before we knew it Our outpost on sylvari starting zone were taken over.So much fun doing shit like that.I Guess everyone is in bed now at 3 am
    Last edited by Stormgnoef; 2012-08-28 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter View Post
    WoW has been adding stuff for 7 years. Why do people expect a game to add 7 years of content on launch?
    Reading comprehension should be an important part of primary education.

I never wrote GW2 should have 7 years of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Werent places like BRS, BRD, and scholo actually 10 mans to begin with? I swear I remember reading that somewhere.
    LBRS was a 10-man, UBRS was a 15-man, Scholo and Stratholme were both 10-man. That was it when WoW launched, iirc. So people saying there is no "end game" in GW2 are being ignorant. They expect it to have a ton of raids and other instances, but come on, it JUST launched for the 3-day-headstart. Give them time to release more dungeons and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another bit I just realized tonight was that not only do your toons share the same guild, but they also share the same bank vault and "collections." So all my toons have easy access to mats gathered by any of my toons. So I don't have to worry about duplicating any of my crafting. Just keep finding more nice touches to this game.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Yeah all in all I'm loving the game right now.
    It's not for everyone, but it's awesome to me, and thats all I'm really worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    Problem for me is, there's just not enough buttons that distinguish a profession from the next one, aside from the aesthetics.

Oh yeah, and they are banning anyone who doesn't have a super serious RP name. Great.
    one, the aesthetics means then that you can play what you want to play, rather than feel pigeonholed into a Rogue for PvP, FotM heal class for raid, etc. That to me is more an upside than a downside.
    two, good for them. I've gotten sick and tired of all the ridiculous allowances in wow for really bad, really stupid or really lazy names with xxxclassxxx, etc etc. Especially people that try to be "clever" and sneak in some profanity or lewd phrasing in their name with odd spelling or special alt letters. F That.
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    It's bad. The skill system has no depth. You have 5 main buttons and your 5 other buttons (1 heal/3 utility/1 elite) and then you can switch your 5 main buttons to a different set when equipping a new weapon. Different sets generally yield 2-3 damage abilities, some form off cc/gap closer or the opposite, and some thing else that has a secondary effect to damage. There is hardly any depth to the system.

Not saying the game has no depth, because it does. But it has depth in areas I don't find enjoyable. The depth comes from evading attacks correctly, timing your few abilities correctly, and combining them with other player's abilities, as well as your character's positioning.

Problem for me is, there's just not enough buttons that distinguish a profession from the next one, aside from the aesthetics.

Not only that but the overflow system is terrible and I can't play with my friends most of the time. Soloing is the most dull thing I've ever encountered and their "event" system is basically questing but hiding it decently well. It's the same crap - kill/collect/chores. Their elites take 20 minutes and it's grinding them down with your few abilities in that insane time frame for a miniscule xp boost. Apparently someone's idea of epic.

WvWvW is a clusterfuck and you need 10 minutes to reach a location just to have the chance to zerg someone or get zerged yourself. Fun. No mounts was a good choice. Oh yeah, and they are banning anyone who doesn't have a super serious RP name. Great.

There's a host of issues but I'm not looking to reply here again, rather do it on reddit. If they got something right, it's animations and... well, the cities look nice.

Flame on fanboys.
    This!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I had been pleasantly surprised at the lack of all the "usual" names I've seen in other MMORPG's but thought I was just getting lucky. Didn't realize that they were actually taking the naming seriously. Sweet, just found another thing I like about this game.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-08-28 at 06:53 AM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    Do not forget Guild Wars 2 is a game without subscription nor any payment restriction.
    You can always play for 30minutes, and then log back again in whenever you please.
    People might go back to wow because they have paid for their time, so they might feel squeezing it out before their sub is over :>
    No subscription means no real updates which means it will only keep people so long.

Also I think the biggest thing that keeps wow going and people coming back is that people have put so many years into they just can't drop it for good with that much time put in thats something no other mmo has going for it.

I still kept my Iamanerd name for the game It's something I've done for year with my main character idk why lol. But all my other toons are RP style names.

Deleted
    I had been pleasantly surprised at the lack of all the "usual" names I've seen in other MMORPG's but thought I was just getting lucky. Didn't realize that they were actually taking the naming seriously. Sweet, just found another thing I like about this game.
    Can't agree more than this.
    In my opinion they are even too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I still kept my Iamanerd name for the game It's something I've done for year with my main character idk why lol. But all my other toons are RP style names.
    Are you on Aurora Glade?
    Cause i saw one Iamanerd yesterday.
    Last edited by mmoc6322d2f7bc; 2012-08-28 at 07:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't look in to anything GW2 related during the run up to release.

Purchased the game on Thursday to keep me busy over the bank-holiday weekend.

Holy shit. I can't believe how much i'm enjoying it. I really hope this game stands on it's feet (and given the quality of the content/playstyle i see no reason that it wouldn't) - it's so awesome playing an MMO with other players swarming all over the place where ever i go.
    Last edited by Kanx; 2012-08-28 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Kanx - Protection Warrior (Armory)

15+ Year Old Account
    Gotta agree, could rank up there as one of the greatest games I've ever played, but won't get too far ahead of myself. The landscapes are amazing, everytime I enter a new zone it's nothing like the previous one I was in, every zone is unique and different and I love it. Exploring is really really fun, especially in these massive zones, the combat is great as well. Caster usually isn't the class I play but man I am in love with the Mesmer. The armor is gorgeous as well, major major props to the art teams who made this game, they did one hell of a job. It's one of the many many things that will keep me playing this every chance I get for many months to come. Ahhhh I love Guild Wars 2!

Deleted
    im having fun but i wont say its the best mmo ive ever played.. i know what their aim for crafting was but scavenging, and crafting just feels empty.. i would have liked to have trading with other people part of it but oh well.