PvP Power or Int for PvP?

I haven't the time to do the math so I'll just ask to see if anyone knows, but are we to gem for PvP power or Int for PvP in 5.0?
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

wondering the same thing

yes I've been wondering the same thing tbh, though I doubt it's pure pvp power because we need Int as well, though not sure how it's going to break down.

We'll probably be gemming for both though no math was considered and I'm just stating it randomly.

it depends on the comps we'll be running imo, if we're playing a comp where the lock is the main target most of the time we might be looking at gemming resilience rather than pvp power to counter opponents pvp power stacking, considering we'll also have pvp power on gear, guess we'll have to wait and see, or if anyone cba to do the math for it.

I'ma re-gem everything tomorrow from my gems to PvP Power gems and after, to mastery gems (affliction) and test to see how it is better... I'll probably re-gem in vain, but it's still worth to test it by yourself.

well pvp power is a secondary stat. compaire to int that is a primary stat.

but i have a feeling the int + pvp power gems will be the best

when classic -> now is a refrence -> int
    mix gems probably pvppower-int or pvpdefense-int

especialy since we got a lot of defense abilitys now and kinda need to kill someting sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    when classic -> now is a refrence -> int
    mix gems probably pvppower-int or pvpdefense-int

especialy since we got a lot of defense abilitys now and kinda need to kill someting sooner or later
    Well I was wondering on how PvP power scaled. In the Beta (85) I currently have 2021 pvp power and that gives me 25.54% additional damage. So I'm wondering how much Int would be required to give me the same bonus damage and whether it would be better to gem 320 pvp power or 160 int in MoP at 90.
    Last edited by Brauhm; 2012-08-27 at 04:33 PM.

well int increases your SP which affects damage, pvp power also increases dmg directly vs players, so there's going to be a breakdown towards a certain point where one will be better after a certain threshold.

the question is what is the threshold ?

casters are mana capped at 100k
    so your +int gems could be doing nothing but adding spell power (not pvp power) and 0 mana pool .. effectivly not doing much for pvp
    how manny of them i cannot say

Intellect also provides a little amount of critical strike... but like wholol said, there must be a threashold where one becomes better than the other.

well did some one finded out something xD? im curious

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 11:24 AM ----------

ok again sad thing i can edit, did some one *found* out something? im curius

Quote Originally Posted by gez View Post
    well did some one finded out something xD? im curious

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 11:24 AM ----------

ok again sad thing i can edit, did some one *found* out something? im curius
    I haven't yet. I mean currently PvP power simply multiplies your damage and healing by a percentage so if, lets say, you have 10,000 int its more like you have 12,500 int (if you have 2000 pvp power at level 85, 25% bonus) and that's excluding the bonus to base damage.

So basically at 10,000 int PvP power is better because 2000 int would only give you 2100 int, or in this case it'd be better to have PvP power considering, again, this does not include the base damage change.

But if we look at only having 6000 Int 25% bonus only gives us about 7500 int, where as 2000 int would take us to 8000 where as I feel the Int would be stronger.

But this also doesn't include the bonus to healing that you get via drain life/fel regeneration, hp regen from gosac, etc. I know that's not as much but its enough to where I think PvP power is going to be what you gem no matter what, especially if its a secondary stat in which you get 320 of it instead of 160 (which is what you'd get with a pure int gem).

10+ Year Old Account
    Does PvP power effectively cancel PvP Defense out?

I attack a target that has 2000 PvP defense(ignoring the passive PvP defense) with my 2000 PvP power. Would this be like attacking a target that has zero PvP Defense with zero PvP power?

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    Does PvP power effectively cancel PvP Defense out?

I attack a target that has 2000 PvP defense(ignoring the passive PvP defense) with my 2000 PvP power. Would this be like attacking a target that has zero PvP Defense with zero PvP power?
    Uhm not not exactly, PvP defense seems to share a DR with the passive 30% we're getting now. Gear seems to have it equally, giving you the option to gem more of one if needed.

Also, fun fact. I gemmed full stam and reforged full into mastery and went into dark apo, I was one HELL of a flag carrier when mixed with soul link and gosac for the last stand + 20% health (I had over 300k buffed with 75 stam gems) and I was taking about 10% total physical damage and 25% magical damage. It was inSANE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauhm View Post
    I haven't yet. I mean currently PvP power simply multiplies your damage and healing by a percentage so if, lets say, you have 10,000 int its more like you have 12,500 int (if you have 2000 pvp power at level 85, 25% bonus) and that's excluding the bonus to base damage.

So basically at 10,000 int PvP power is better because 2000 int would only give you 2100 int, or in this case it'd be better to have PvP power considering, again, this does not include the base damage change.

But if we look at only having 6000 Int 25% bonus only gives us about 7500 int, where as 2000 int would take us to 8000 where as I feel the Int would be stronger.

But this also doesn't include the bonus to healing that you get via drain life/fel regeneration, hp regen from gosac, etc. I know that's not as much but its enough to where I think PvP power is going to be what you gem no matter what, especially if its a secondary stat in which you get 320 of it instead of 160 (which is what you'd get with a pure int gem).
    I haven't understood a thing.. how 2000 int would only give you 2100 int?

Uhm not not exactly, PvP defense seems to share a DR with the passive 30% we're getting now. Gear seems to have it equally, giving you the option to gem more of one if needed.

Also, fun fact. I gemmed full stam and reforged full into mastery and went into dark apo, I was one HELL of a flag carrier when mixed with soul link and gosac for the last stand + 20% health (I had over 300k buffed with 75 stam gems) and I was taking about 10% total physical damage and 25% magical damage. It was inSANE.
    how much mastery is to gain 1% dmg reduction in DA ?
    I'd like to know if stacking mastery or resi is a better dmg reduction for DA.

or you could try going full pvp power/ int to try to balance the loss of dmg while in DA, meaning it would make you into a decent survival / moderate dmg playstyle, i'll have to test that myself to see if there are some hidden benefits to DA/ meta swapping in competitive pvp that we haven't already seen.

edit: or just stack mastery and play the cat/bear playstyle, DA for survival Meta for nukes, since mastery would increase dmg in meta and dmg reduction in DA.

nothing proved without testing though.
    Last edited by wholol; 2012-08-28 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeyrHao View Post
    I haven't understood a thing.. how 2000 int would only give you 2100 int?
    Sorry, that's with the 5% int buff.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    how much mastery is to gain 1% dmg reduction in DA ?
    I'd like to know if stacking mastery or resi is a better dmg reduction for DA.

or you could try going full pvp power/ int to try to balance the loss of dmg while in DA, meaning it would make you into a decent survival / moderate dmg playstyle, i'll have to test that myself to see if there are some hidden benefits to DA/ meta swapping in competitive pvp that we haven't already seen.

edit: or just stack mastery and play the cat/bear playstyle, DA for survival Meta for nukes, since mastery would increase dmg in meta and dmg reduction in DA.

nothing proved without testing though.
    That's what I did. I played Cat/Bear and went into the field if I wasn't holding, nuked anyone near me in meta, then would swap to DA when focused and lol'd as absolutely NO ONE could kill me. The amazing thing about it is that since we only have 250% additional armor, abilities like Find Weakness and Colossal Smash aren't as effective since a lot our damage reduction comes from our Resil and Dark Apo, not the additional armor we have.

Also, my tool tip was bugged and it only gave me the total, not point for point. At like 2000 mastery I was taking 20% reduced damage with just dark apo, another 65% from resil, and I can't remember what my armor was at, I pretty much matched sockets though, all blues had stamina and all yellows had pvp resil.

Sorry, that's with the 5% int buff.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 04:21 PM ----------

That's what I did. I played Cat/Bear and went into the field if I wasn't holding, nuked anyone near me in meta, then would swap to DA when focused and lol'd as absolutely NO ONE could kill me. The amazing thing about it is that since we only have 250% additional armor, abilities like Find Weakness and Colossal Smash aren't as effective since a lot our damage reduction comes from our Resil and Dark Apo, not the additional armor we have.

Also, my tool tip was bugged and it only gave me the total, not point for point. At like 2000 mastery I was taking 20% reduced damage with just dark apo, another 65% from resil, and I can't remember what my armor was at, I pretty much matched sockets though, all blues had stamina and all yellows had pvp resil.
    have you tried going resi/mastery gems? since mastery would provide the damage in meta/ caster form and dmg reduction in DA while resi flat out survival, or even pvp power/ mastery or int /mastery for more dmg, hell there are too many options , I just can't tell what's more efficient.

but I'll surely test it out to see if it works in 3s, we might gain survivability but do we gain enough pressure to do anything? that's what I want to know rly, if not then the entire concept is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    have you tried going resi/mastery gems? since mastery would provide the damage in meta/ caster form and dmg reduction in DA while resi flat out survival, or even pvp power/ mastery or int /mastery for more dmg, hell there are too many options , I just can't tell what's more efficient.

but I'll surely test it out to see if it works in 3s, we might gain survivability but do we gain enough pressure to do anything? that's what I want to know rly, if not then the entire concept is meaningless.
    I have not done any testing in 3s but I do know that the mastery to damage reduction is extremely limited, mastery is only best to reforge for because nothing else provides mitigation. I might considering using a hybrid PvP power/resil//mastery gem but even then Dark Apo seems to do little damage and since you can't transfer stored fury from Dark Apo to Meta you're pretty much stuck in one and that really sucks.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 04:54 PM ----------

Looking at it. I'm probably going to have to gear for the situation. My 3's team is going to consist of a resto druid healer, me in demonology, and a fire mage. I'm going to be going FULL into PvP power until the DR hits that Int should be better and then run int-pvp power gems just for the additional healing. This team both me and the fire mage have incredible burst and i can stance dance for increased livability and self healing since I'm definitely going to run soullink-gosac for the bonus to health and the 2% health per 5.