Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Is this a scam email.

Now I'm very good at detecting false emails, but this has passed me

It's from "support@guildwars2.com" and contains my correct email address.

When I click the link it goes to a guildwars2.com domain.

However when I enter a new password (I used a false in case) it doesn't change the password on my account, e.g it doesn't let me log in but I can log in using my old password.

Reason I ask is I submitted a ticket saying my one day headstart wasn't active

Cheers

Looks like a phishing attempt to me. I don't think they'll ever ask you to confirm your password like that (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought that too, have changed my real password as a precaution anyways

It's fake.

The only email you should be getting just has an IP confirmation so no outside IPs can access your account without you knowing about it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for confirming Any clues on how to report such an email?

10+ Year Old Account
    If hovering over the link does not show a "www.guildwars2.com" URL - and I mean exactly that, not some complete gibberish that includes that phrase, then it's a phishing attempt.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-27 at 06:29 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    On hover i get "en.support.guildwars2.com/app/account/setup_password ......" etc

Quote Originally Posted by Swearwolf View Post
    On hover i get "en.support.guildwars2.com/app/account/setup_password ......" etc
    Well, that is in the guildwars2.com domain, so it's not a phishing attempt. It's possible that there's server issues causing you to not be able to change your password.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Still can be phishing attempt even if the direction looks legit. I'd recommend if you already clicked on the link, that you do a scan of your PC for viruses/malaware just in case (doubtful something would have gotten on in this case).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I replied to the email I got a new incident number (similar to my previous, not random numbers) so now I'm at a loss. It doesn't ask me for a current password, but just to make a new one. This new one however doesn't grant me access :/

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Still can be phishing attempt even if the direction looks legit. I'd recommend if you already clicked on the link, that you do a scan of your PC for viruses/malaware just in case (doubtful something would have gotten on in this case).
    Not really, because domain, in this case "guildwars2.com" is what you really have to pay attention to. If it was something like en.support.guildwars2.thisisafakedomain.com then you'd be worried

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 02:40 PM ----------

When I replied to the email I got a new incident number (similar to my previous, not random numbers) so now I'm at a loss. It doesn't ask me for a current password, but just to make a new one. This new one however doesn't grant me access :/
    Have you tried going through http://account.guildwars2.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've just realised

This is legit

The guild wars account page and support pages require different accounts

This email was for the support area and is fine . hahhha

Deleted
    Legit got same mail when requesting support login name

I got one too, logged into my GW2 account just fine.