Choosing a gamepad

So I think I am going to finally break down and get a gamepad for some games, mainly Assassins Creed and Batman AA/AC, as well as some emulators that I play. Any suggestions for the best gamepad that will work universally? I was thinking either a Logitech or an XBOX 360 wired controller? Google brought me a lot of people recommending basically a different gamepad for every emulator, plus a different gamepad for actual PC games, but I don't play nearly enough to justify more than just one gamepad. Main reason why I like the idea of the 360 controller is the plug-and-play, as I understand it there is little need to remap any of the keys, but the downside is the cost. I don't have a 360 so I would have to get the controller and would be using it just for the computer.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

You'll want an actual XBOX 360 compatible controller for newly released PC games. They're mostly all programmed specifically for them and non compatible gamepads tend to be an absolute pain to configure or flat out refuse to work. The Logitech pads AFAIK aren't compatible with the 360.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    360 pad mate....Used the 360 pad for years never let me down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I obtained one of the Xbox 360 for windows wireless controllers and it is pretty awesome, works right out of the box and for most games there is little to no set up for it just turn it on and go

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Alright, 3 for 3, 360 controller it is. Will probably swing by a GameStop and see if I can't find one used.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Deleted
    Hello
    Sorry for hijacking.
    Wired or wireless?
    And how do they plug into the PC, are they using USB?

Deleted
    360 controller all the way. It's the de-facto standard controller of all recent games anyway.

I really don't see why you'd want anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    360 controller all the way. It's the de-facto standard controller of all recent games anyway.

I really don't see why you'd want anything else.
    Maybe some don't like the feel? They're not comfortable in their hands?

As it is, looks like I'm going to have to get one, myself, despite my Logitech that I've had for years not giving me any issues, aside from Arkham City. Just seems like it'll become more of an issue to not have a 360 controller as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsk View Post
    Hello
    Sorry for hijacking.
    Wired or wireless?
    And how do they plug into the PC, are they using USB?
    Wired and via a USB port