Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    RIFT was even worse. You couldnt go two clicks on the internet without a RIFT ad and they were blatantly in WoW's face. We're not in azeroth anymore or some other nonsense.
    Indeed, they claimed to be the WoW killer, and..well we all know how that turned out. Swtor wasn't all up in your face about it, but they would have done alot better off to scrap swtor, and make KOTOR 3.

I wonder why you even played the beta if EVERY single thing you like in an MMO is missing in it.
    Maybe, just maybe, because I wanted to see if it is that good as people wanted us to believe it is. Turned out for me it wasn't and everything that GW2 fans said that in other games are just time sinks, for me were a big deal and a great source of fun and roleplaying. I just couldn't do without (like mounts, real time traveling from flight master). I don't even wanna start how big of a turn off the lack of progression gear, holy trinity or the few spells a avatar has not to mention the lack of raids. Now don't tell me that you get new ones if you change the weapon. Maybe I don't like the other weapon. For example maybe i wanna play with swords so why should i change to a bow or guns?
    Last edited by Sebbah; 2012-08-28 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Opiatesofsilicon View Post
    Hey isn't the official launch for that game everyone is already bored with tomorrow?
    Bored? Not this guy!

Deleted
    The majority of GW2 has been over hyped. The game itself isn't an innovative as it was made out to be. However, that doesn't mean it's not a great game. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and I can't put it down.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 07:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Opiatesofsilicon View Post
    Hey isn't the official launch for that game everyone is already bored with tomorrow?
    In about 38 minutes, actually :P

Deleted
    Pretty much every Dev video about the game on their official site went overboard with how revolutionary every little bit of the game was going to be (There's no holy trinity! Oh, but you're all basically DPS hybrids).

Obviously they are trying to sell a product and need to make a good pitch. I'm not flouting that, but to say the Devs weren't generating any hype as some posters are is simply untrue.
    Last edited by mmoc52fe769775; 2012-08-28 at 06:25 AM.

I honestly dont understand why people who love wow and people who love GW2 need to fight about whats the best MMO... Its a game after all not life.. Do you really need your internet epeen to be stroked because your playing the "best" game?? What i like and what you like are two completely different things since we are two completely different people
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Sebbah View Post
    I don't even wanna start how big of a turn off the lack of progression gear
    Different strokes for different folks. The lack of progression gear to me is one of the most amazing features of guild wars 1. I used to play GW1 before WoW. I got caught up in WoW and then revisited GW when I quit during cata. All the content they developed since then was sitting right there waiting for me. Ready and still completely relevant. What an amazing thing! It opened my eyes. I was like you and thought a game without gear progression would be boring. But then when I actually experienced it done right with GW1, I was completely sold.

Imagine how AMAZING WoW would be if they didn't systematically destroy all of their content with every expansion (and now it seems with every patch).

While I have no idea how end game is going to be in GW2 as Im nowhere near reaching that point, I truly hope their design is as robust as the one they had for GW1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is a difference between what fans, or trolls pretending to be fans, say and what the developers slash publishers say. Especially before launch, the former is posting without having the product in hand. The later, on the other hand, does have the product in hand. In titles like WAR, AoC, etc, etc... What is claimed or advertised tends to change dramatically. Cut content, cut classes, "not at launch" features, etc, etc... Not to mention the advertising like with Rift. I don't recall any of that from AN, do you?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Maybe, just maybe, because I wanted to see if it is that good as people wanted us to believe it is. Turned out for me it wasn't and everything that GW2 fans said that in other games are just time sinks, for me were a big deal and a great source of fun and roleplaying. I just couldn't do without (like mounts, real time traveling from flight master). I don't even wanna start how big of a turn off the lack of progression gear, holy trinity or the few spells a avatar has not to mention the lack of raids. Now don't tell me that you get new ones if you change the weapon. Maybe I don't like the other weapon. For example maybe i wanna play with swords so why should i change to a bow or guns?
    So basically, if a game doesnt have everything WoW has, it sucks; LOL typical wow fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypro View Post
    I honestly dont understand why people who love wow and people who love GW2 need to fight about whats the best MMO... Its a game after all not life.. Do you really need your internet epeen to be stroked because your playing the "best" game?? What i like and what you like are two completely different things since we are two completely different people
    A lot of people here hyped it up to be a major innovative game that would change the face of the mmo market and give Blizzard a massive shock and blah blah blah. It's very easy to come here and say it wasn't hyped by GW2 fans at all, but it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Obviously they are trying to sell a product and need to make a good pitch. I'm not flouting that, but to say the Devs weren't generating any hype as some posters are is simply untrue.
    The problem with the internet is that people think in extremes. Its either no hype or most hyped game ever. Flawless launch or worse than diablo 3's. People have lost the ability to assess a middle ground.

To claim no hype was generated, especially by arenanets own PR would be ludicrous. Of course there was some. But compare it what happened with other MMOs and put it on a sliding scale. That's what people are talking about. It is FAR from the most overhyped MMO ever and actually is probably one of the less hyped MMO launches.

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 01:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    A lot of people here hyped it up to be a major innovative game that would change the face of the mmo market and give Blizzard a massive shock and blah blah blah. It's very easy to come here and say it wasn't hyped by GW2 fans at all, but it was.
    Same comment as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Seolla View Post
    So basically, if a game doesnt have everything WoW has, it sucks; LOL typical wow fanboy.
    Please don't pull that "WoW fanboy" label on me. WoW it's not the only MMO to have progression gear. I don't even play it anymore. I play other MMO's that still have that.

Did you even read about GW2 before you tested? If you did, why the hell would you even try it? It does everything you want in an MMO the other way. Clearly, you want a WoW. If I was in your place I wouldn't even test GW2 after reading about it.

But here you are, flaming it and saying you don't see people playing it after 80, because you don't like it. Yes, makes sense.

Smart people who like WoW type MMOs read about GW2, saw they didn't like the features and just forgot about the game ever existing. Those players who looked forward to GW2 like the exact same features you mentioned you don't like.
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-08-28 at 06:50 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Huh? Arenanet started releasing videos for it 3 years ago. They had PvP tournaments, multiple open betas and an ongoing blog. They paid multiple gaming websites to track every change they made in the last 2 years (IGN comes to mind). Their hype strategy was probably the biggest i've seen from a dev/publisher. The hyping from forums was generally rehashed material from videos or blogs, things like 'dynamic quests are amazing and change the world', 'guild wars is moving the mmorpg genre forward' were all found in videos/blogs from anet.

As for being overhyped. I don't know yet, the start of the game for me has been pretty boring but i haven't had the chance to play with friends yet. I will say that the dynamic events are pretty terrible at this point, they're basically the same as in Rift or WAR, a zerg fest and something i tried to avoid at all costs in those games. The difference is they provide experience that you can't really do without unless you want to hop across every zone in the game.

I'm sorry, WHAT? No overhype? Dude it was the most overhyped MMO ever. In every forum of the other MMO's fanboys were talking about it like it was the second coming of baby Jesus. The general chat channels were full of trolls bashing those MMO's but praising GW2 like it was a gift sent from Heaven. So don't talk to me about the game not being overhyped. I've played in in beta and EVERY single thing I like in an MMO is missing in this, and I do mean EVERYTHING. So from my point of view it's a complete fail. Time will tell how the game will do but honestly can can't see people play it more then a month after reaching lvl 80 and don't tell me it's b2p you can quit whenever you want. It's an MMO, you need people around to enjoy it.
    but how if arenanet gave a list of what they were going to put in gw2 they delievered on everything. you only needed research what was in gw2 anet devs are honest as you can see nothing is missing just fixes are bieng made you mindlessly bought the pre purchase or got into a beta and played away to judge the game?. what are you judging you cant fault it really they delievered on what they said they were gona add. 1 major update of bug fixes and the game is bassicaly good to go for launch.? it was overhyped to use gw1 players 6 million registered acc's 3 million pre purchases of gw2 and millions more to come i have scanned google and i cant find bad reviews about it. all i see is wow fanboy's like yourself saying "omg overhyped shit" sorry buddy but it seems like since we have our own precious pony your trying to poison it because yours is old and stale?.

New questing system - added

New crafting system - added

dynamic events - added

wvwvw - added and a bloody success.

awesome pvp - added

and much more things. keep in mind there are devs in anet that were in blizzard from bioware from mythic from all large mmo companys all those failures are leading up to a success story. this game is not ment to kill wow or compete with it. you cant compete with a b2p game theres no logic your not losing anything. whether people say it or not there is endgame in gw2 there called elder dragon bosses. there is no lack of story or personal development there is no boring tasks or anything when a game makes exploring fun and not just about the leveling thats when you know there on the right track. the game has allready succeded in selling 3 mil copys how much money do you think they made from it and those were all pre purchases and pre orders. have you ever played gw1? a game that was made thinking it would be a failure ended up selling 6 millions copys and beccomming a sucess to this day it still has alot of players. how is gw2 going to fail?.

gw2 is made to revolutionize just because wow has mounts gw2 has to have mounts?. if your looking for roleplaying and pve then its not hard to search for a guild look up the ashenfold cartel roleplay guild. gw2 has limited skills because they want people to use there skill in wow if you have awesome gear but your a bad player and you fight someone 20 levels under you who has ok gear they will lose in gw2 its how you dodge and time your attacks to do a perfect combo and win. anything is possible in combat really. if you want a raid go to a large scale dynamic event there everywhere if you die people in gw2 will revive you because you get points for doing so. in gw2 ks doesent exist. in all honesty do research on a game before you play it to save yourself alot of trouble dont come on the forum and say "gw2 didnt have what i want its gona fail" just read up on it see the features look at gameplay simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Pretty much every Dev video about the game on their official site went overboard with how revolutionary every little bit of the game was going to be (There's no holy trinity! Oh, but you're all basically DPS hybrids).

I don't understand what you even mean by that, dear sir/madam. Your first point about no trinity doesn't make sense. With no trinity in-game, what did you expect people to do? No damage whatsoever? How were people to stay alive without self-heals? I don't understand how that's possibly overhyped. They're not saying you're going to love it, just that it's new and different.

To be honest with you, I don't see how the game was overhyped by ArenaNet themselves at all. How can you classify random fanboys saying how great they'll find the game, how much they're looking forward to it etc as 'hype'? It's not even the same thing. Sure, they themselves are 'hyped' for whatever reason, but how can they 'overhype' a game for you? They're not affiliated with ArenaNet in any way, shape or form. They weren't asked to advertise the game. You don't have to even consider their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Did you even read about GW2 before you tested? If you did, why the hell would you even try it? It does everything you want in an MMO the other way. Clearly, you want a WoW. If I was in your place I wouldn't even test GW2 after reading about it.

But here you are, flaming it and saying you don't see people playing it after 80, because you don't like it. Yes, makes sense.

Smart people who like WoW type MMOs read about GW2, saw they didn't like the features and just forgot about the game ever existing. Those players who looked forward to GW2 like the exact same features you mentioned you don't like.
    Yes I've read about it and checked dozens of videos before. But hey, don't I have the right to check it out for myself or what? Everyone that made videos about it said how cool it was and the ones that criticized it were bashed into oblivion, even threatened, cursed or mocked. That goes to show just how fanatic can some fanboys react to a negative review.
    What is wrong with you people. I said already I don't play WoW anymore. I DON'T PLAY IT. WoW it's not the only game out there that has progression gear or mount.
    what are you judging you cant fault it really they delievered on what they said they were gona add.
    Did I say they didn't delivered? What I say is that what they delivered it's not to my taste and a big turn -off. What I said is that it's not gonna have a big hold people in the long run.
    Last edited by Sebbah; 2012-08-28 at 07:06 AM.

Deleted
    Well dynamic event's were presented as being a bit too good... They did say how it worked and it does, but people misunderstood it and expected it to be some super duper epic living event, which would suck you and and hypnotize you making you happier than ever before...
    Even though they did a great job, that is not what it is..

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no not this thread again It was overhyped by the gaming community and by Anet, however I concede advertisement wise it really wasnt very in your face but the gaming comunity had already shoved it so hard that it didnt matter, I wont be coming back to this thread it wont go anywhere like the last lot of hype threads.

What was overhyped - dynamic events. They arent a genre changer or innovative, but thats just all personal opinion.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-28 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Oh no not this thread again It was overhyped by the gaming community and by Anet, however I concede advertisement wise it really wasnt very in your face but the gaming comunity had already shoved it so hard that it didnt matter, I wont be coming back to this thread it wont go anywhere like the last lot of hype threads.

What was overhyped - dynamic events. They arent a genre changer or innovative, but thats just all personal opinion.
    the game isnt even launched yet and your saying it is overhyped?. how can anet overhype it if they delivered on all there features?. the gamming community no only those that werent famillar with gw1-gw2 those are the people that player warhammer and aion and wanted some hope including haters those are the ones that overhyped it. the game has delivered and exceeded expectations for many of us. that is pretty ignorant. reminds me of someone who wants to speak there mind and doesent want to listen to what others have to say if you are going to be like that why even post?.