I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Why am I leveling so....slow...?

So I've been falling behind a lot of the people I know who play the game and I feel like I'm missing something, perhaps?

Doing DE's and story quests have been my top priorities.

Some DE's don't give great experience, others do. More than a few of them I've done more than once. I do the story quest once I get to the right level unless there is a DE going on.

I do hearts, explore, grab 'points of interest', and gather crafting materials whenver there isn't a DE going on. I also do jumping puzzles any time I come across them.

I know rushing to 80 isn't the aim of the game, but I'm starting to get close to 10 levels behind some of the people I know who have /played less than me. Something has to be missing from the equation, just not sure what it is. If I don't make it a point to travel to another race's zone of the same level I start to run into issues where I'll be two levels under and have completed everything in the area before.

Have you devoted some time in crafting? It gives a lot of exp.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    without knowing what class, area's Its hard to say but I can tell you that I seem to be out lvling all the areas im in well before im done with them. The first thing you need to do is stop worrying about what lvl you are in the first place. Now I tend to be a completist so I do all the vistas hearts, skill tests and points of interest before I leave a area and do every event that is happening as im on my way from point A to point B this seems to keep me well lvl'd above the area im in at all times (not that it matters) but I hardly feel like im lvling slow.

ALong with what vexies said, completing an entire leveling map give very nice rewards. Gathering and crafting in bulk once in awhile gives me 1-2 levels sometimes. Also try to get ahold of xp food, its quite easy to make but not sure if you can buy it.

Deleted
    i just get sucked in the game. And at 1 point i was checking my traits to spend and i noticed i had 5 >.>. But like Vexies and Well said. Do not devote in 1-2 things do it all, there are great rewards for completing a map. As a lowlvl you can get quite a few lvls after tutorial without actually fighting. Just by Discovering everything in the 6 major cities (5 each race + Lions arch). will take you some time, but with the magnificent background music and the fun you get by doing the vistas its amazing. Speaking of wich i still need to do the sylvari and asura towns!

Ps completeing a zone rewards you a achievement chest. Containing a bit of money a bit of exp and some other loot. Discovering waypoints, vistas, points of itnerest also nets you exp. so thats where the lvls come from ^^

Crafting unlike any other mmo i know of atleast also grants you exp towards lvls. Gather gather gather when completing a zone atleast what i did i go to town and lvl my armor smithing and cooking.

Deleted
    Go do some quests in other race area's, this helped me a lot =)

Slow? I wish I leveled slow, I swear I spent whole yesterday's evening just farming mats and leveling proff from 35 to 75 and still I got 3 levels.

I'm @ 16... with a bit of crafting mixed in and I actually feel like I'm levelling fast, despite seeing many above me.

Deleted
    Actually i had the feeling the xp progression was just fine. The level suggested for your personal story gave me the pace, and i just made some hearts to adjust a couple of times. Everything was very smooth.
    An hint: try killing mobs far from the most usual areas, and you'll get increase XPs for those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like above, try spending some time crafting. If you don't want that, pick up a quest zone other than your native race's.

Then again, GW2 really isn't about hitting max level asap. The content is all there during the leveling, just have a good time! No monthly fee so no pressure

Taranee - lvl 90 Blood Elf Warlock - EU Dragonblight

I haven't crafted at all and I feel my leveling is fine. I've been going through and completing entire zones, completed literally everything in all starter zones for all races and their major city, including lions gate. I'm 34 now and the only other thing I've done is story quests, and quite a bit of WvW. WvW if your lucky and get in a good spot can get you a very good chunk of XP. But that's only if your lucky, often times you'll go a long while not getting much of anything.

Deleted
    The best thing to do is:
    Never pass a gathering node,
    Complete all the events around you,
    Make sure you map is complete with the quests, areas of interest, waypoints etc
    Get some crafting behind you.
    Do the other starting areas (It scales you down remember).

I done all these and am at level 30 in a 15-25 zone, and i've only just started it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am leveling a little slow, but then again I came in late to the gathering game, and I usually complete a heart and move on to the next one. I don't really care as I am completing the map to get that reward, but I do feel as if the game wants you to go to other areas. If it gets really bad later on in the game, I might just have to do that once the backstory quests dry up.

Also, WvW is a decent way to level, as well. And it is also one of the best pvp experiences I've ever had.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggan View Post
    ALong with what vexies said, completing an entire leveling map give very nice rewards. Gathering and crafting in bulk once in awhile gives me 1-2 levels sometimes. Also try to get ahold of xp food, its quite easy to make but not sure if you can buy it.
    You can buy diffrent foods with a 10% XP boost along with some other benefit in most bigger "quest hubs" in each zone I found

Slow?

I still don't have a character @ 10 yet (thief / warrior / guardian / necro / ranger). Largely because I can't decide what I want to stick with, but yeah...

Deleted
    I'm levelling pretty slowly too, but haven't crafted a thing yet so I'll try that. I seem to be running out of quests very early too, like there will be one heart quest for a level but will only grant maybe a third of that level, exploring doesn't give that much exp so I'm usually left to go start or try the zone quests for higher levels, which aint always fun

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 03:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    You can buy diffrent foods with a 10% XP boost along with some other benefit in most bigger "quest hubs" in each zone I found
    WHERE!? quest hubs like heart quests?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    I'm levelling pretty slowly too, but haven't crafted a thing yet so I'll try that. I seem to be running out of quests very early too, like there will be one heart quest for a level but will only grant maybe a third of that level, exploring doesn't give that much exp so I'm usually left to go start or try the zone quests for higher levels, which aint always fun

---------- Post added 2012-08-28 at 03:44 PM ----------

WHERE!? quest hubs like heart quests?
    Yeah, I think they are not necessarily always there, I noticed now several of them won't offer you anything until after you completed gathering meat for example.

I haven't had any issues with leveling slow besides hitting 21 and finding that the Brisbane Wilds is a bit spread out in a far more non-linear way than other places that I've experienced during the Beta stuff. Level 24 and just about to finish the 15-25 area (Brisbane Wilds) with a bit of crafting and boss whoring to supplement (Thaumanova Fire Elemental was just SO fun I had to do it a few times!).

You have to visit all the arbitrary markers on the map for XP, and do other things besides the Task heart things.

If you only do the tasks, you'll quickly realize that you aren't high enough level to keep doing them. Quite a silly system, to be honest.