Thread: Warhammer 40K

Page 51 of 133 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Actually, Warhammer Online (despite it's shit launch) is pretty decent, and managed to follow the fluff for Warhammer fantasy. Not sure if that would really work with 40K but it's definitively something to try.
    Warhammer Online was an amazing game, in the beta, launch, not so much, but in Fantasy, its easier to make it into an MMO, all the classes there were on the same powerlevel.

40k won't work, because it will have to have marines in it, poster boys of 40k and all that, and realistically, the only grunt trooper of another army that can stand up to a marine, 1 on 1, would be a Chaos Marine, a Necron Trooper (maybe), and maybe some of the Aspect Warriors. If they don't put Marines in, then they'll piss off all the marine fan boys (about 50% of the 40k playerbase, if not more), and it'll be Guard, Tau, Eldar, Nids, etc. We'd get to see all the decent races, but no one would play it. Well not enough to make it profitable at any rate.

The best way to do a 40k MMO imo, would be to base it on Inquisitor, you've got numerous classes, battling against chaos cultists, xenos, everything like that, opportunities for small group based PvP against other Inquisitor Warbands, excellent stories, but it'll never happen unfortunately.

Well, they could always base it on only one hive world, you could start with genestealer cult, which draws in Ordo Xenos, then various chaos cults start popping around, then Guard gets called in to contain the situation, then Adeptus Mechanicus goes looking for archeotech and wakes up the Necrons, then Astartes get called in, then a Space Hulk infested with Orks gets into system, add in Eldar coming for Necrons and whatever else pointy eared gitz want, and finish it all with nice helping of underhive scum, bounty hunters, mutants, mercenaries and other opportunistic bastards, and you have a clusterfuck of epic proportions which makes Third War for Armageddon looking like a sunday picnic in comparison.

One planet only would serve nicely to keep all players near, and you could easily fit different origin stories (guardsmen start off world in boot camp, marines start being freshly promoted to battle brother and looking to distinguish themselves, chaos would start by creating a cultist cell and calling daemons onto world etc etc). Space Hulk could be a free PVP zone with scavenging, feral orks, genestealers, and all the nice things you can't fit into planet.

Deleted
    See, that was looking great, right up until the Marines. You can't have Guard and Marines in the same MMO as playable characters, else it'll just be MARINE SMASH, and there'll be a kind of red smear where the guardsman used to be.

Deleted
    The only way I can think of making IG and SM fit in the same game as playable, would be to have the player start as a guardsmen and progress through a storyline not dissimilar to SWTOR, and then at the end levels be recruited into a space marine chapter.

Not sure if any chapters recruit from the IG ranks, but they could perhaps make a new chapter that does, and players could make a transition from Guardsman > sergeant > commander > SM initiate/scout > Fledged marine.

It's not a perfect idea but it's the only way I can think of to make it make much sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    The only way I can think of making IG and SM fit in the same game as playable, would be to have the player start as a guardsmen and progress through a storyline not dissimilar to SWTOR, and then at the end levels be recruited into a space marine chapter.

Not sure if any chapters recruit from the IG ranks, but they could perhaps make a new chapter that does, and players could make a transition from Guardsman > sergeant > commander > SM initiate/scout > Fledged marine.

It's not a perfect idea but it's the only way I can think of to make it make much sense.
    They don't, Marines get recruited at the age of around 10, far before the age of which a Guardsman joins up. If you tried to turn a full grown man into a marine, they wouldn't survive the first stage. Like I say, its either gut the lore and piss everyone off, or miss out on a whole bunch of factions, and piss everyone off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    They don't, Marines get recruited at the age of around 10, far before the age of which a Guardsman joins up. If you tried to turn a full grown man into a marine, they wouldn't survive the first stage. Like I say, its either gut the lore and piss everyone off, or miss out on a whole bunch of factions, and piss everyone off.
    I thought there was ways in which to make "lesser" marines, I seem to recall Luther of the dark angels being one such marine, not able to go through the full procedure but still enhanced considerably, but I guess such marines would be a shadow of what a real astartes would be, Like I said, not a perfect idea, if they went through with something like that they'd have to twist a lot of lore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I thought there was ways in which to make "lesser" marines, I seem to recall Luther of the dark angels being one such marine, not able to go through the full procedure but still enhanced considerably, but I guess such marines would be a shadow of what a real astartes would be, Like I said, not a perfect idea, if they went through with something like that they'd have to twist a lot of lore.
    Not even close to a Marine, they got gene therapy to give them enhanced musculature, maybe make them live slightly longer, but there still Homo Sapiens, not Homo Astartes. The easiest way for them to do it would just be Marines vs Chaos Marines. Marine starts off as a Scout, gets to choose to spec into either Devastator, Assault, Tactical or Terminator at level 10, Termy being Tank, Assault Melee DPS, Devastator Ranged DPS, Tactical as Support. But even then, its taking some serious leaps and bounds with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not do it like planetside 2 I think the classes would work really well.

Scout - infiltrator
    Assault- light assault
    Termie - max suit
    Tactical - engineer ish (flexible n stuff) or heavy assault
    Devastator - heavy assault or a new heavy weapons class

Deleted
    Actually, Warhammer Online (despite it's shit launch) is pretty decent, and managed to follow the fluff for Warhammer fantasy. Not sure if that would really work with 40K but it's definitively something to try.
    God I miss that game.

I had so much fun in that, it was amazing playing a MMO in a world that I know/knew so much about and enjoyed. I remember having rivals in RvR and having your name known on a server, O my poor White Lion how i miss you.

I really wish I had been a hit and not died because of EA rushing it. I feel that if they made it F2P like SWTOR it would revive and be strong again.

A 40k MMO would be interesting depending on how they did it.

They could do the Planetside idea of factions fighting over an area, or even try a Eve style space MMO.

Deleted
    Hey,

Years back i did hear about a Spacemarine games that goes 3D tought that it whas a MMORPG and then Spacemarines came out, as u all might know its anything but a MMORPG altho yet again i heard new rumors about its still coming, anyone can confirm this? i love and got all Warhammer games so if it comes i cant wait to get it
    Last edited by mmoc2566e37beb; 2013-03-25 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are thinking of Dark Millennium, we have been told its no longer an MMO.

With THQ bankruptcy its hard to say whats going on atm, we might never get it or some other company could buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the rumors were true. We ARE seeing Tau next.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

ahmagad, student loans(but not loans, since i dont have to pay anything back, danish social welfare hooo) gonna go get the 400. edition and perhaps a little box as celebration. Gonna start on my Imperial Fists army!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Spacemarine's multiplayer did it well, no?

If only it had its own servers.
    It did well untill they brought out DLC that split the already small community sadly.

I would love to see a Dynasty Warriors style warhammer game, it would be awesome.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 07:27 PM ----------

And the rumors were true. We ARE seeing Tau next.
    Please please please let them add Farsight Enclave as a choice, I want melee ork hating tau so I never have to look at the kroot.

I hope they expand on what cause O'Shavah (Commander Farsight) to turn away from the Tau and I hope to Khaine they don't do the 'necrons did it' plot they had a habit of doing when I was playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    It did well untill they brought out DLC that split the already small community sadly.

I would love to see a Dynasty Warriors style warhammer game, it would be awesome.

---------- Post added 2013-03-28 at 07:27 PM ----------

Please please please let them add Farsight Enclave as a choice, I want melee ork hating tau so I never have to look at the kroot.

I hope they expand on what cause O'Shavah (Commander Farsight) to turn away from the Tau and I hope to Khaine they don't do the 'necrons did it' plot they had a habit of doing when I was playing.
    I think "Necrons did it" would be better than "OOOooooOOOOHHHHhhh (spooky ghost noise) the Ethereal are controlled by Chaos, and he didn't want to go down that path. Or the general "Just as planned" chaos mindset.

Doubt that ethereals are being controlled by chaos. They hardly even skim the warp. I'm torn as to what army to paint. I don't feel like my paint scheme is particularly nice for my chaos marines, or it certainly needs more touching up. Furthermore, I find tyranids to be a tad dull. Thinking eldar, orkz, Imperial fists. It's so confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    Doubt that ethereals are being controlled by chaos. They hardly even skim the warp. I'm torn as to what army to paint. I don't feel like my paint scheme is particularly nice for my chaos marines, or it certainly needs more touching up. Furthermore, I find tyranids to be a tad dull. Thinking eldar, orkz, Imperial fists. It's so confusing.
    Make pink eldars.

Make pink eldars.
    Did that for a mate. Never Again. Lots of purple stipling with tentacle pink highlighting. They were Dark eldar and they sure looked perverse.