Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

WoW blocked in Iran by Blizzard, not refunding subscriptions

'Blizzard has declared that it supports the American economical sanctions towards Iran by shutting down the access to WoW from the a
    specific country. They also will not refund already purchased subscriptions regardless of the lengths".

What the eck? First of all, since when have entertainment companies attended politics. Why is Blizzard taking sides in this case by using a game as the tool?

Iran is a heavily religious country, lead by old religious men. Some parts of WoW aren't considered good in the country, and the small percentage of people (note, young people) won't be changing how their country behaves. They shouldn't be punished this way lmfao.

Another thing, as Blizzard refuses to refund bought stuff, do they believe in the US. that Iran owes them something? Atleast in the EU this would be considered an illegal action..

How come they published it on a patch day? Because they knew it would create a shitstorm.

Screw you America!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Blizzard is based in the US.

"United States trade restrictions and economic sanction laws prohibit Blizzard from doing business with residents of certain nations, including Iran," the company said in an email sent to players last week and forwarded to The Associated Press late Tuesday. "Blizzard tightened up its procedures to ensure compliance with these laws, and players connecting from the affected nations are restricted from access to Blizzard games and services."
    I suspect refusal to refund was an inherent part of breaking off economic connections.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-08-29 at 04:33 AM.

i don't think they can conduct any transaction because of the sanctions. Various oil companies are now having the same problem for paying the Iranian gov't money for their oils.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard did not create this law. They are simply obeying it as they are a US company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    Like it or not, it's Blizzard's prerogative.

They can refuse service to anyone. It's their product.
    They have the right to refuse service, but what I'm wondering is whether they have the right to refuse a refunding for services not provided. That seems a little sketchy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    'Blizzard has declared that it supports the American economical sanctions towards Iran by shutting down the access to WoW from the a
    specific country. They also will not refund already purchased subscriptions regardless of the lengths".

What the eck? First of all, since when have entertainment companies attended politics. Why is Blizzard taking sides in this case by using a game as the tool?

Iran is a heavily religious country, lead by old religious men. Some parts of WoW aren't considered good in the country, and the small percentage of people (note, young people) won't be changing how their country behaves. They shouldn't be punished this way lmfao.

Another thing, as Blizzard refuses to refund bought stuff, do they believe in the US. that Iran owes them something? Atleast in the EU this would be considered an illegal action..

How come they published it on a patch day? Because they knew it would create a shitstorm.

Screw you America!
    they dont, it has nothing to do with politics.
    usa decided to put sanctions on iran aka blocking trade etc and blizzard being part of us need to follow the law
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is still avoidable by proxying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong, but) it isn't a choice it is an embargo put in place by the US government. They cant refund them because that would be continuing trade with said country. Until the US lifts the sanctions, then Blizz has no choice but to abide by the laws. If they break these laws they can risk million in fines and prison time.

Also, why nation bash? What gives you the right to talk crap about an entire nation because of the actions of another?

Underlined the important part.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2012-08-29 at 04:39 AM.

(note, young people) won't be changing how their country behaves.
    Screw you America!
    Funny how you say it isn't so and so's fault in Iran's country yet, at the end you say "Screw you America" as a whole.

Besides the government has its reasons.

considered an illegal action..
    Not illegal.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Song View Post
    Funny how you say it isn't so and so's fault in Iran's country yet, at the end you say "Screw you America" as a whole.

Besides the government has its reasons.

Not illegal.
    He thinks that blizzard made the choice, he doesn't understand that its a government sanction, he thinks blizz is playing politics, but in reality they are abiding by a US law.

The OP is throwing rocks without understanding the entirety of the situation.

Pretty sure this news has been out for a couple of days, not on patch day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    It's not really Blizzard taking sides, it is America taking a stance on Iran. Blizzard is a company based in America and as such is subject to United States laws.

Refunding said money would fall into the category of a business transaction,therefore they are unable to do so regardless of how fair or unpopular it is.
    To me it sounds like someone ratted blizz out to the FTC or SEC and they were warned about this,i mean these sanctions are not new and blizz has been conducting transactions up to this point.
    I saw your title, and was fully intending on coming here to deliver the verbal equivalent of a punch in the dick.
    -TheWerebison

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I think it is still avoidable by proxying?
    Yep tooo eassssyyyy

They conveniently sold MoP first, then blocked players. It may not be illegal, but it's still textbook douchebaggery.
    And know people blame the victims, typical.

Absolutely ridiculous if this is true... The few people there that play this game shouldn't be punished for the stupidity of both governments involved. If anything, a game like wow is a great way to let people in repressive regimes like Iran or America communicate with one another and the outside world. Hence, letting them expand their horizons and be a little more resistant to dogma and the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerruss View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous if this is true... The few people there that play this game shouldn't be punished for the stupidity of both governments involved. If anything, a game like wow is a great way to let people in repressive regimes like Iran or America communicate with one another and the outside world. Hence, letting them expand their horizons and be a little more resistant to dogma and the status quo.
    By stupidity you unintentionally also call religions stupid. Both people from those nations will tell you you're wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    They conveniently sold MoP first, then blocked players. It may not be illegal, but it's still textbook douchebaggery.
    And know people blame the victims, typical.
    Because Blizzard knows when The President (and Congress, don't remember who controls sanctions/embargos) is going to do.

It's not like Morhaime woke up one morning and said "hmm, today I'm going to sell MoP and then in a week stop access to Iran", what happened was the US Gov woke up one day and said "hmm, Iran is being douchy, NO MORE TRADE WITH IRAN OR WE WILL GET YOU" and Blizzard, being a US company and thus bound by US law, had to go "ok"
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerruss View Post
    I completely agree , I'm not blaming Blizzard , im saying the law is pretty stupid , at this time people should know that our governments are NOT peoples representatives ,
    but thats the law i guess and we can only wait and protest
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻,

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Because Blizzard knows when The President (and Congress, don't remember who controls sanctions/embargos) is going to do.

It's not like Morhaime woke up one morning and said "hmm, today I'm going to sell MoP and then in a week stop access to Iran", what happened was the US Gov woke up one day and said "hmm, Iran is being douchy, NO MORE TRADE WITH IRAN OR WE WILL GET YOU" and Blizzard, being a US company and thus bound by US law, had to go "ok"
    And how do you know for sure? Just saying.