Schizophrenia - Hearing Voices video...

I studied a bit about schizophrenia in my psychology classes but this interview really shows how bad it can get for a lot of people. I felt so bad for this girl for what she must be going though each and every day.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2675898.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a friend in college who was schizophrenic and stopped taking her medication so that she could start drinking. It did not have a happy ending.

Over the period of two weeks she started becoming very depressed, terrified and withdrawn and started showing repressed personalities (one being an abused and terrified five year old). Everything culminated when she pulled out a very large decorative knife and made a lunge at another friend. Thankfully there were no injuries but she unfortuantely never returned to her previous self even after a change in medication and therapy.

Schizophrenia, and any other psychological disorder, is not something to take lightly. It's a scary thing when the mind backfires on itself.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    Wouldnt it be pretty cool if you had schizophrenia and you could decide what the illusions look like? You could have a perfect girl for example, pet bear and stuff like that. Who cares if it isnt real if it looks real to you?

Btw does anyone here know if you can "feel" the illusions if you touch them?
    Last edited by mmoc614b31b9c1; 2012-08-29 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    Wouldnt it be pretty cool if you had schizophrenia and you could decide what the illusions look like? You could have a perfect girl for example, pet bear and stuff like that. Who cares if it isnt real if it looks real to you?

Btw does anyone here know if you can "feel" the illusions if you touch them?
    Or like, you could have imaginary friends that were real to you, as real as an actual person? LOL! You'd have it made!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    I had a friend in college who was schizophrenic and stopped taking her medication so that she could start drinking. It did not have a happy ending.

Over the period of two weeks she started becoming very depressed, terrified and withdrawn and started showing repressed personalities (one being an abused and terrified five year old). Everything culminated when she pulled out a very large decorative knife and made a lunge at another friend. Thankfully there were no injuries but she unfortuantely never returned to her previous self even after a change in medication and therapy.

Schizophrenia, and any other psychological disorder, is not something to take lightly. It's a scary thing when the mind backfires on itself.
    that sounds more like MPD than schizophrenia tho
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Or like, you could have imaginary friends that were real to you, as real as an actual person? LOL! You'd have it made!
    Exactly. Imaginary friends who are "real" to you. That would be so cool.

unless your imaginary friend was a dog that told you to kill people

Solitary confinement suddenly isn't so bad!

doesn't seem to be for the girl in the video. He can be a magical purple rhino, but once he starts telling you to kill people, there's a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    My uncle had schizophrenia and fatally overdosed on prescription drugs because he thought he could go to see the person he was talking to in his mind (my deceased geandmother in his case).

It's a horrible condition to have.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    doesn't seem to be for the girl in the video. He can be a magical purple rhino, but once he starts telling you to kill people, there's a problem.
    Yeah, too bad the hallucinations are usually meanies
    Last edited by mmoc614b31b9c1; 2012-08-30 at 10:10 AM.

Most people who have schizophrenia have audible hallucinations, not visual.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    have there been any cases where they are capable of ignoring the voices and lead a mostly normal life?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    have there been any cases where they are capable of ignoring the voices and lead a mostly normal life?
    I believe John Nash just lived with his hallucinations after deciding to stop taking medication. I could be wrong on that or A Beautiful Mind is wildly inaccurate but I can't find anything to immediately contradict it.

The problem with schizophrenia other than it's damn spelling is it's so difficult to define. Its usually considered a collection of symptoms and conditions but is really difficult to accurately diagnose immediately. It's important to stress that not all patients hear or see hallucinations. Its probably the defining and most famous symptom but far from the only one.

Having known two people with schizophrenia it really bothers me when people say and "xxx went totally schizo!" or similar. Schizophrenia can literally ruin lives. On average it knocks between 10 and 15 years off someones life expectancy, increases their risk of suicide by around 10% and can completely destroy relationships. It's a truly awful condition that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

The really important thing to stress though is most people suffering from schizophrenia are not axe wielding seral killers who's post box is telling them to kill people. For the most part the patients are a far bigger risk to themselves than those around them.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I actually had a neighbor who suffered from it, he was very smart, a great musician and he spoke perfect English in a 3rd world country?(Cuba) but he assaulted other neighbors on a few occasions and chased cars with a machete. I was always terrified of him. He was taken to mental "hospitals" on a few occasions to receive shock treatment.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-08-30 at 04:56 PM.