Thread: heating up proc

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

heating up proc

Hello

I was trying Fire out for the first time with the changes last night and noticed that when the Heating up proc appeared, I would hit Inferno Blast and it would sometimes but not ALWAYS proc !Pyroblast. Is there a reason for this?

Also, the Heating up Proc appears to disappear quite quickly. Often when It appears, I think i've got time to finish my current fireball and then when I go to hit Inferno Blast, the proc has disappeared. Isn't it meant to last around 12 seconds or is that no longer the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    I did notice this myself, too. The issue seems to be from volatile glitches. Or at least I hope it's not intended.

edit: NVM brainfart
    Last edited by Pyrion; 2012-08-30 at 12:02 AM.

I thought this at first as well, but basically if you have a Heating Up proc and then something doesn't crit, you'll lose it.

So if you have a FB on the way before you can cast inferno blast, you can lose it from that. Also if you have DWTR, it seems as if proc from the staff doesn't crit, you'll lose it on that. So for instance, you can do something like this:

* Crit FB
    * Gain Heating Up stack
    * DWTR procs
    * DWTR FB doesn't crit
    * Lose Heating Up stack

10+ Year Old Account
    Came here for the exact same problem. I have Inferno Blast macro'd (as well as Pyroblast) so that it'll stop whatever I'm casting and cast it instead. But I'm still noticing this issue often. I'll use Inferno Blast half the time and I feel like it doesn't work and I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if I'm missing something important. I don't have DWTR either.

Deleted
    Came here for the exact same problem. I have Inferno Blast macro'd (as well as Pyroblast) so that it'll stop whatever I'm casting and cast it instead. But I'm still noticing this issue often. I'll use Inferno Blast half the time and I feel like it doesn't work and I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if I'm missing something important. I don't have DWTR either.
    You should never stop casting for anything. When Heating Up procs finish what you are casting and follow it up with an Inferno Blast, it should hit the target before the last spell you cast did and proc Hot Streak.

I noticed the same thing many times. I do not have a Dragonwrath. It got to the point that I wondered if it was worth casting Inferno Blast at all since so many of them were not getting me a hot streak.

Is it possible Nether Tempest is "eating" the charge?
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    I noticed the same thing many times. I do not have a Dragonwrath. It got to the point that I wondered if it was worth casting Inferno Blast at all since so many of them were not getting me a hot streak.

Is it possible Nether Tempest is "eating" the charge?
    highly unlikely. Nether Tempest is arcane damage, only fire damage can proc hot streak and heating up.

DTR procs are eating the charge if it doesn't crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you guys sure about that? I thought the way the staff worked is it mirrored the damage, so a crit for 50k would cause the staff to throw the same exact thing (another crit for 50k)... could be wrong...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik765 View Post
    Are you guys sure about that? I thought the way the staff worked is it mirrored the damage, so a crit for 50k would cause the staff to throw the same exact thing (another crit for 50k)... could be wrong...
    It doesn't duplicate the dmg, it only duplicates the spell. A spell crit for 50k, doesn't mean the copy will hit for that. The copy will shoot a 25k spell that has the regular chance to crit for 50k. Any buffs associated with the spell are not copied. Any buffs you currently have will be eaten by the copy.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2012-08-31 at 07:02 AM.

are DTR procs from dots eating up heating up? last night in the raid i found it difficult get force a hot streak because my heating up would dissapear as i hit inferno blast

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had a problem with Heating Up and Inferno Blast. Even when I'm spamming Scorch with no /stopcasting macros. Even though neither spell has a travel time, Inferno Blast will hit before Scorch and Heating Up will turn into Hot Streak as intended. The only problems with dropping Heating Up is when DTR procs don't crit.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2012-08-31 at 08:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    are DTR procs from dots eating up heating up? last night in the raid i found it difficult get force a hot streak because my heating up would dissapear as i hit inferno blast
    Yup. Thought we confirmed that last night? All three of us have DTR and were watching the proc munch Heating Up. On the flip side the proc can also turn Heating Up into a full Hot Streak if it crits, but it just adds some additional RNG back into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dither9 View Post
    You should never stop casting for anything. When Heating Up procs finish what you are casting and follow it up with an Inferno Blast, it should hit the target before the last spell you cast did and proc Hot Streak.
    EXACTLY this and nothing else Works great for me, though the timing sometimes is pretty hard and you have to be very concentrated to get the rotation right. I often mess it up when refreshing Living Bomb, cause I do something like this.
    Btw. does anybody have a

Quote Originally Posted by Curze View Post
    Yup. Thought we confirmed that last night? All three of us have DTR and were watching the proc munch Heating Up. On the flip side the proc can also turn Heating Up into a full Hot Streak if it crits, but it just adds some additional RNG back into the mix.
    dammit curze stop stalking me!

and i was refering to when the staff procs a dot, as the hit is an actual hit (that will never crit) not a dot tick and thus munching heating up. adding more fun into the mix!

wonder if not using DTR would end up being a dps increase due to having more control over hot streak

15+ Year Old Account
    Doubt it. DTR is worth too much - even if it being a bit crap when it comes to Heating Up. Could always grab one of the rubbish staves from DS next week and have a play around if you really wanted to see! Or wait until MoP, as is my plan

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's highly unlikely considering the combustion, mage bomb, fireballs and every other spell for that matter can be copied. Even if the staff procs munching might be diminishing its overall damage, DTR still should be far enough ahead when only part of the issue is the staff and part of it is the simple mechanics.

Also, shadowmage you have to crit first. :P

how can i crit when you steal them from me teine also i can never be away from you 2 cant i!

but i do agree curze, doesnt really matter anyway till level 90

It took me some practice to get used, but overall I'm loving it. So many insta pyros, I'm surprised Inferno Blast isn't on a much bigger cd.
    Anyways, what I do:

1. start & finish casting fireball 1
    2. start casting fireball 2 while fireball 1 is on its way to target
    3. fireball 1 crits, i get a heating up proc
    4. finishing casting fireball 2 and queue inferno blast
    5. inferno blast hits before fireball 2 hits target, 2nd crit happens and you get ur insta pyro

It seems easier if you'r not right on top of the boss, the time travel seems to help in this case.

Disclaimer: I don't have DTR to mess up with heating up.